AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 PM

Default Schiit Gungnir DAC

Today I welcomed the newest member of my audio system- the Schiit Gungnir DAC. Gungnir is the spear of Odin, which never missed its mark. This has replaced a Cambridge DacMagic (with the upgraded Pangea power supply), which is now happily making my bedroom system sound better.

For those who don't know Schiit (yes, the name is pronounced that way), they are a young company started by a couple of industry vets who decided to build high-value gear, meaning great sound quality and design for the dollar. By selling internet direct they keep prices lower than if they were selling regular retail. While some may decry this approach, as a value-conscious consumer I appreciate being able to buy quality gear direct without the mark-up. Plus, the unit is upgradeable, meaning in a few years time Schiit will offer new DAC/analog stage boards as technology evolves. The DAC can be purchased with or without USB capability, and the USB board can be added later if needed. I got mine without USB, as I will use it with my OPPO BDP-93 and on rare occasion with my MacBook via toslink.

The Gungnir is solidly built, with a very clean design in aluminum, one front panel button to select inputs and a white led to indicate input, and another led to indicate difficult-to-clock sources. On the back are inputs- USB, to slink, RCA digital coax and BNC coax; and outputs- 2 sets of single-ended RCA outputs, and features a true-balanced analog audio stage with XLR connectors. The Gungnir also uses a built-in power supply, no wall warts or extra boxes.

Cold out of the box the Gungnir is far superior to the DacMagic in every way- frequency extension top and bottom, inner detail, spacial placement and resolution, with a more relaxed and musical presentation. For a few months earlier this year I had a friends PS Audio Digital Link III in my system, and while I cannot compare the Gungnir to it directly, what I am hearing reminds me of what the DL III offered sonically in my system, which I enjoyed and inspired the quest for a new DAC. As I have listened the last few hours the sonic signature of the Gungnir has gone through a few changes, and early user reviews online indicate a 200 to 300 hour break-in period, so lot's more listening before I know the true nature of this DAC.

So far I am very pleased with the new sound of my system, going much deeper into the music! Happy to answer questions and I'll be back with updates as the Gungnir breaks in.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:57 PM

Nice..
I have the Bifrost and it is very smooth sounding. Not harsh at all. Build quality was very good. I really love it. But the power light is too bright for me. Ha Ha

Schiit makes a top quality product indeed. Congrats.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyopwak View Post
Nice..
I have the Bifrost and it is very smooth sounding. Not harsh at all. Build quality was very good. I really love it. But the power light is too bright for me. Ha Ha

Schiit makes a top quality product indeed. Congrats.
Thank you. I have read good things about the Bifrost in various places, and I am happy to hear you are enjoying yours.

The power light is certainly bright, yet it has enough of a blue tinge that it does a nice visual interplay with my McIntosh's blue eyes.
Schiit URD CD Transport > Schiit Yggdrasil Analog 2 DAC > Schiit Loki Max EQ > Bryston BP-26 Preampamplifier > Schiit Vidar Power Amp > B & W 805D + JL Audio E112 subwoofers (x2); Power- Shunyata Venom 16; ADD-Powr Symphony Pro & Eau2's; Equitech Son of Q; Cabling- Wireworld IC, Synergistic Research SC, Shunyata PC.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Remembering Vintage Pete

Excellent!
So happy for you, and glad to hear you are enjoying it, and will like it more as it "warms up".
It certainly seems like a great decision, and the upgrade idea can't be bad! I love that idea.

<--- I think you know these guys lol
Old 10-19-2012, 01:11 PM
Learning to Listen

No remote?

Old 10-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Can you post some pics? I am thinking for purchasing it as well.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:51 PM

From their website...

Size: 16 x 8.75” x 2.25”
Weight: 9 lbs
Old 10-19-2012, 02:41 PM

Joe- thank you, it's a lot of music I have to listen to getting this piece broken in properly. Upgradeability is a selling point for sure, Schiit is working on what they are calling a "Statement" DAC that will likely hit $2K, due next year, but in time that technology will filter down.

Pider- no remote, the only controls are the input selector button on the front, and a small power switch on the back. It just sits there and turns numbers into beauty.

ronenash- as you probably know Schiit offers a 15 day money back (minus 5% restocking fee), so it's a low risk proposition. I will mention this is not an upsampling DAC, less manipulation of information. The presentation of detail sounds natural, not forced in any way. The unit does run warm, so be sure it can have good space above and to the sides for ventilation.

bakerman- thanks for putting up those pics.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:15 PM

I listened to this DAC at RMAF last week. I was introduced to it by Stephen (Puma Cat). Listened to it with a Schiit headphone amp and, if I recall correctly, Stax headphones. It sounded very nice.

Mike
Old 10-19-2012, 11:09 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Blues View Post
Joe- thank you, it's a lot of music I have to listen to getting this piece broken in properly. Upgradeability is a selling point for sure, Schiit is working on what they are calling a "Statement" DAC that will likely hit $2K, due next year, but in time that technology will filter down.

Pider- no remote, the only controls are the input selector button on the front, and a small power switch on the back. It just sits there and turns numbers into beauty.

ronenash- as you probably know Schiit offers a 15 day money back (minus 5% restocking fee), so it's a low risk proposition. I will mention this is not an upsampling DAC, less manipulation of information. The presentation of detail sounds natural, not forced in any way. The unit does run warm, so be sure it can have good space above and to the sides for ventilation.

bakerman- thanks for putting up those pics.
Scott,
If the Bifrost was anything to go by, the Gungnir will get better and better as you get past 100 hours or so. When I first got the Bifrost, it pretty much drove me out of the room. By 300-350+, it was smooth, sweet, and musical.

Please keep us up to date on your observations as it burns-in and comes on full song.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.