AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Bryston Audio

Bryston Audio Unlimited, Unprecedented, Unequalled

Old 03-14-2012, 07:07 PM

Current owners:

Do you prefer the sound of the AES/EBU or the BNC connection?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado

Last edited by Bavarian05; 03-24-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:11 PM

Sorry no direct experience with these products but AES/EBU is usually the best for DAC/Transports.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian05 View Post
Current owners:

Do you prefer the sound of the AES/EBU or the BNC connection?

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
I have tried both, use AES/EBU but can't hear any difference but I'm old and don't have golden ears. For me the important thing is that I have five digital music sources connected to the BDA and the BDP-1 is used >90% of the time.

Steve
Old 07-05-2012, 08:12 AM

Hi James,

Both of these units are amazing pieces of kit. This is the 1st time I've heard digital sound as good/better than my Michell Orbe turntable.

I am looking for a Bryston pre/power combination next as I think the synergy between these products will really lift my listening experience to another level.

Incredibly pleased by this wonderful supremely musical player/DAC combo. These 2 products have really made me sit up & listen to music again!

Cheers

Brad
Australia

Last edited by James Tanner - Bryston; 07-05-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 07-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Hi Folks,

Really nice comments from Kevin regarding the Bryston BDP-1 Digital Player and the new NAS Feature as well as customer service (the people behind the scenes at Bryston that make me look good!)

"James,

I don't usually write letters of this sort, but I believe the BDP-1 deserves special recognition. It is simply perfect – a very rare quality. My only complaint is that I didn't buy it sooner – I regret trying other players first (because the BDP-1 didn't support NAS). Those other devices left me frustrated and disappointed. The BDP-1 has done the exact opposite. I couldn't be happier with it, and that's not hyperbole.

Bryston should be commended for creating a digital music player for audiophiles. As such, it does not include an inboard DAC – that would be superfluous as I'd posit that nearly all of us already have a cherished DAC. So, kudos for not making me waste money on a feature that I don't need. My money was spent on flawless performance, stunning build quality and a very polished control interface. Thank you for including the ability to operate the basic functions via an IR remote. Thank you for recognizing the need for seamless transitioning between files. Thank you for creating such ergonomic control software – software that even displays cover art while playing *.wav files if I simply drop a *.jpg into the folder for each album. In short, thank you for taking this product seriously enough to think deeply about the needs of its users. The BDP-1 squarely hit those needs, in my opinion.

As the BDP-1 operates solely in the digital domain, I'm not sure I can comment on how it sounds, but I will say that I find no fault in that regard. Combined with my DAC (an Audio Research DAC7 (sorry ), it betters anything else I've ever owned. Even better, it does that while providing a level of convenience I never thought possible (until recently).

I can sum up my opinion of the BDP-1 with a single word – perfect. I can't say that about many other things I own. There was, however, a permissions glitch with the firmware that was in the unit I purchased. To Bryston's credit, that was resolved brilliantly by Chris Rice – the new firmware not only solved that issue, but enhanced the pleasure of operating the player. These things can happen, but the important thing is how they are handled – this could not have been handled better. I also wish to express my gratitude to Mike Pickett, who was kind enough to send me a CCF from which I could harvest the IR codes for my remote.

This customer's satisfaction level is pegged. The BDP-1 is, in my opinion, THE benchmark product in its category and its manufacturer demonstrates customer support that should be the model for the industry.

Thank You,
Kevin P. Crowley"

PS Thank you, also, for listening to the customers (and prospective customers) who asked for NAS support. That move pushed the BDP-1 into my target range and I couldn't pull the trigger fast enough when that happened!
Old 08-09-2012, 06:24 AM

BDP BETA TESTING SOFTWARE FEEDBACK

Yesterday at 06:02 PM

James,

Just wanted to pass along that the new firmware works great with the Synology DiskStation.

I can finally put aside the unsightly external hdd, and put the new NAS capabilities to full use. Oh how glad I am that I decided to upgrade from the Squeezebox and purchase a BDP-1. This new firmware has taken the player to a whole another level in my setup.

I think it's safe to say the CD player and the Squeezebox can be removed from my setup for good.

UNCOUTH
Old 08-25-2012, 06:06 PM

Sent: Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:55 PM
To: James Tanner
Subject: Re: Firmware Update for BDP-1

James,

I would like to thank you and Bryston for the great products and support.

I recently purchased a used BDP-1 and BDA-1 to add to my 4BSST and BP6. Every time I add a Bryston product the sound quality keeps on improving.

I have been listening to 24/192 material, and hearing new detail in songs I have been listening to for 40 years. The firmware update when through without any issues.The Max2 software is a major improvement from the SO.94 2010-11-14 revision.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2012, 08:13 PM

What is the best ipad and android interface out there for BDP1?
Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmonv View Post
What is the best ipad and android interface out there for BDP1?
MPAD for iPad and MPDROID for android.

James
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM

James, i just bought a WD Passport 1 TB. I was looking at the cable connector on the passport side. It appears like they are using a different type of connector which is not available elsewhere like dh labs, WW, or audioquest should i decide to change it. Is this cable that comes along with the passport good enough? The cable looks like very flimsy.

Any other brand/model can you recommend per your experience?

Ramon