AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-04-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
Awesome. Congrats!
Thanks for the encouragement...now let me tell you about our MX121.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 05-04-2021, 07:48 PM

Wink Get Well Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaki View Post

Glad ya got it figured out my Berkshire Buddy.
Thankee, pard. I hope that you're feeling better, sir.

OUR VINTAGE MAC: MAC4100, MAC4200 | AMPS: MC452, MC300 | MAC PRE/PROS: MX151, MX130, MX121 | B&W SPEAKERS: (2) N802s, (2) N805s, (1) HTM3S | NEWER EQUIPMENT: Oppo 203 & 105D, Sony X800M2, Denon CDR-W1500 | VIDEO DISPLAY: 65" LG OLED | IMPORTANT NOTE: Zero High-speed internet connections
Old 05-04-2021, 07:52 PM

Talking Mc300

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
Good for you. Configuring the Oppo involves those steps of determining if its DSS or PCM. The downmixing can be tricky, but, if I remember correctly, it's only for the 2 channel audio outputs where the Oppo does the processing rather than the McIntosh.
Yeah, there's some text in the Oppo 105 User Manual that suggests that some processing can be output via the stereo outs and the multichannel outputs. The important thing right now, though, is that the surround amp, our MC300, is receiving the decoded surround analog signal and is doing its usual thing -- sounding pretty great.

Old 06-11-2021, 09:39 AM

I recently acquired one of these, and will be searching the archives for answers to questions I haven't come up with yet Pristine example from an owner who upgraded, one of the last MX151s to come off the line. I have been tuned in as to the detail associated with setting it up, so I'm spending some time (while I look for a new amp and speaker builds to play themselves out) perusing these forums in an effort to head off difficulties at the pass, as it were.

First new pre-pro in 18 years knowing Mac and my Klipsch Cornwall cabinets get along well together, so it seems a natural match. with any luck it will have a long stay here, too. I tend to settle in with gear if I like it/it works well, not much of a "flipper" and tend to stay with what works - even if for longer than advised. I'm replacing a Krell HTS - the original one, which I got a generation or two later as a closeout, so that reinforces the point.....
Old 06-11-2021, 03:02 PM

You will need to hook it up to an HDMI display or use the web interface. Pretty much impossible to set up via the front panel. I like the web interface the best.

Factory reset then follow the setup instructions in the manual to the letter. No short cuts, no partial setups, no skips.

When you are ready to setup room perfect, look online for the Ron Cornelius guide to RoomPerfect setup. I may have a copy, I’ll look.

Great unit!

Tom
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 06-12-2021, 10:19 AM

Ron C tutorial? How nice :-) I asked on another forum about the viability of just using the HDMI on the display, as I don't currently have a Windows computer (Mac currently, have been thinking of adding a Windows again for a few reasons as I like aspects of both), and had one say that that's how they did it - no comp externally. Others say the Win comp way is easier. That said I'm trying to put off doing that if I can as I have a TON of other stuff on the more immediate table, speaker builds, crossover builds, some room adjustments, and so forth. This stuff is well in progress but the Win comp is another add-on I'm trying to put off for a time while I arrange a network expert to come in here and set up some stuff for us. He's also an Apple guy so we'll get some stuff worked out.

Oh, and I'm still looking for a five channel McIntosh amp (like a 205/255) but apparently they are "in between" in large part on those, as the 205 sunsets and the 255 replaces that. Had a few examples slip through the fingers on the 205 as I was doing all of the other aforementioned stuff so I've been doing a pretty serious rebuild/refurb of the theater environment and it's gears, including new drivers and crossovers for the Cornwalls - the culmination of what we know on that side as ways to improve the old version to newer for the next 30 years.

So it's likely to be a week or three before we actually get to the "power up", as this all progresses on its own pace, and I gather information on to how best to make use of the MX151 and it's new partners. I did a considerable amount of reading on this and other similar units out there, a lot to sift through, now I go to the other side where I get this stuff to "marry" in a way that takes best advantage of the situation and components.

I liken buying a pre-pro today to a root canal, but once the selection is made and the results desired achieved, then you enjoy the comforts of enduring the pain in the first place. I'm a two channel, live concert guy at heart, who can't get away from the 5 channel standard that has been established over the years, be it via the 5.1 optical cable, the DVD and Blu-Ray with the best of live concerts, or the DD plus that is now becoming a "thing" over streaming networks. I'm really not a film buff anymore like I used to be (and need another Superhero film out of Hollywood like I need a hole in the head, see root canal again), but I am enthralled by the impact that a properly set up multichannel system can do for a lot of other stuff, be it broadcast/streaming or a host of legacy formats. nd even given that the MX151 is a "digital" piece of gear at it's core, it is also my hope that the 2 channel/just listening to music end of this work respectably well, too. a certain Achilles heel of the old one.

So I'm going around soaking up old threads like a sponge and seeing what I can learn before the install/power up, seems there's some leads to follow for sure.
Old 06-13-2021, 01:33 AM

Smile Please elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Nectar View Post
I asked on another forum about the viability of just using the HDMI on the display
As I now have quite a bit of trail and error time when it comes to employing video for setting up the MX 151, I may be able to help. Were you able to access the setup menus via HDMI? What is it that you're trying to accomplish?

Old 06-13-2021, 09:12 AM

No, not yet. I was just looking for some background info BEFORE setup, as the piece is here but much of the system torn down (speakers getting new drivers and crossovers, looking for matching Mac amp, etc) and since I am in a "preparation" mode I'm gathering some info in advance. Along with the "read the manual" I figure people who have done this before will have shared experiences.

But I'm not ready for power up yet, just preparing for system assembly and making sure I'm best prepared to do that. One of the reasons I was curious about the Windows comp is that I got the impression that this was much easier than simply using the MX151 connected to the display and using those menus, so I was assessing the need for a basic Win comp in the immediate (as opposed to a bit down the line when the comp/network end gets a re-look).

So no need for triage yet :-)
Old 06-13-2021, 11:15 AM

More background info on Room Perfect from Ron Cornelius of McIntosh. It calls out the MX 150 but the 151 is identical in this aspect.

Room Perfect Microphone Measurement Techniques

The purpose of this brief explanation is to gain a better understanding of how to efficiently calibrate Room Perfect as used in the McIntosh MEN220 room correction system and MX150 A/V Control Center.

STEP ONE is to decide how the speakers are configured in the system.
In the case of MEN220 one may have a simple two speaker stereo system. One may also use a single mono or two stereo subwoofers for 2.1 or 2.2 configurations. If subwoofers are used you will want to enter delay times into MEN220 for the subwoofer(s). Measure the distance to the subwoofers and main speakers, the difference should be added to the subwoofer output delay in MEN220 set up menu. It is also recommended that the subwoofer(s) run with their internal crossovers bypassed and the crossover point is set in the MEN220. LR-4th order crossover slopes are suggested.

When using MX150 the distance measurement from each speaker to the listening seat will need to be put in the set up menu. This is done by measuring with a tape measure and then entering:
Installer Menu-> Speaker and Room Setup-> Speaker Configuration-> Edit/Select Setup at the bottom of menu:

Next step is to enter the size/ crossover points for each speaker. If no speaker is used in a position this must show a – under the right hand size designation window. Room Perfect will throw an ERROR code if a speaker is designated but not connected during the measurement process. Once speakers are decided go to VERIFY CURRENT SETUP and run test tones through all of the speakers. You may use a sound pressure meter to adjust the sub woofer gain control levels to match the mains. All other speaker levels will be automatically set by Room Perfect during the measurement process.

Next go to DISTANCE SETTINGS and enter the distance of each speaker to the primary listening position. For the first Focus Position measurement, an arbitrary position in the area of your main seating area and centered on the video display is fine.

Important, BEFORE STARTING MEASUREMENT PROCESS! Once the Room Perfect measurement process is started it is assumed that the speakers will not be moved from the entered positions. Any time speakers are moved or changed a new full set of measurements will need to be taken.

THE FIRST MEASUREMENT: Both MX150 and MEN220 use a GUIDED measurement system that will prompt the user through the measurement process.

The first measurement is called FOCUS POSITION. This should be with the microphone placed at normal head height and pointed forward to a point centered between the main left right speakers. The McIntosh microphone stand will allow easy positioning of the microphone. A 25 foot long cable is included and more cable may be added for very large rooms.

All measurements are accomplished with two sets of test tones. These are specific 1/12 octave tones which will play in each speaker in two groups. 50 tones are below 350Hz and 71 tones are above covering all 10 octaves of the musical spectrum. Since test tones are used there can be background noise in the room but noise will slow down the measurement process.

MEN220 and MX150 will initially indicate the correct volume setting up or down as needed to achieve 80Db at the microphone. This may be uncomfortably loud to some and a lower volume may be used in some situations. If a lower volume is used all other sounds in the room should be minimized.

After the first FOCUS position measurement is finished the front panel display of MX150/MEN220 will show a ROOM KNOWLEDGE read out in percentage. This may be a number from 20 to 60%. The next series of ROOM MEASUREMENTS will add to the ROOM KNOWLEDGE base after each measurement is taken. The goal is 95 to 100% ROOM KNOWLEDGE.

THE SECOND SERIES of MEASUREMENTS are ROOM POSITION measurements. The microphone placement rules for efficient measurement are:
1-Do not measure behind or within the immediate area of any speaker. Four foot distance or more is preferred. Take measurements in the rear 2/3 of the room when possible.
2-Do not point the microphone directly at any speaker. This is a bit tricky with multi-channel systems where speakers are placed throughout the room.
3-Measurements of the floor, walls, and ceiling yield accurate Room Knowledge.
4-Point the microphone at bookcases, doors, coffee tables, or any large surface while staying back at least two feet. Under tables or behind furniture is allowed as is pointing the microphone at the rear walls.

It may take 5 to 10 measurement positions through the room to gain over 90% ROOM KNOWLEDGE. When this is attained the choice is offered to end or take more measurements. Once ‘Continue- NO’ is selected the correct filter will be created to correct the room. This will take one or two minutes to create.
ADDITIONAL MEASUREMENTS: Up to eight focus positions may be added. These may be labeled in MX150 such as couch, left recliner, desk chair or whatever is appropriate. When a Focus Position is selected the sound will be, well, Focused in that position for maximum imaging, frequency balance and spaciousness. If multiple listeners are in the room the Focus Position may be switched or the GLOBAL Room Perfect setting can be chosen to blend all of the Focus positions such as when watching a movie with a full house of guests.
Room Perfect is a powerful tool that will correct the problems caused by a room’s dimensional effect on the natural sound of a speaker. The implementation of Room Perfect as in MX150 and MEN220 will deliver a startlingly real audio reproduction experience.

Ron Cornelius
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 06-13-2021, 11:19 AM

Excellent. Good stuff......thanks for this.