AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-13-2022, 10:35 PM
Bun E. Carlos

Before plopping down $12k ish for this, I would REALLY need to know who makes the transport Mc is using. My GUESS, probably from a Marantz unit (???).
I would have much rather seen this unit minus the CD and as a stand alone DAC for $3k or $4k less….

Last edited by JWJW; 05-13-2022 at 10:46 PM.
Old 05-13-2022, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWJW View Post
Before plopping down $12k ish for this, I would REALLY need to know who makes the transport Mc is using. My GUESS, probably from a Marantz unit (???).
I would have much rather seen this unit minus the CD and as a stand alone DAC for $3k or $4k less….
Jon, Many folks have CD's and SACD's and want a built in transport. If I purchased one I would provide Wilson Pedestals which dampen out all vibrations, a Dragon source power cord, WEL IC's, Diamond USB, and one Niagara 7000 power conditioner for both the MCD12000 and the C-12000. This is reference gear and meant to fully compete with much higher priced gear: Accuphase, Esoteric, Dag, Boulder, AR, etc. By the time you properly outfit the combo you are in the 50K plus range. 3k or 4k is not really relevant.

If I purchased this gear the IC's, cords, isolation devices, and power conditioner would be more expensive by a significant amount than the gear. I would not be concerned about who made the transport. I trust Mac in this regard.

Best

Charles

Last edited by Charles; 05-13-2022 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:26 AM

I would love to have a CDP with a DAC with as many inputs as the MCD12000, I'd be able to consolidate my setup. My MCD500 just doesn't have enough inputs as it is, so for me the transport + DAC is a win. The price tag isn't a win, but that's another story.
Old 05-14-2022, 08:05 AM
Remembering Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maks View Post
I would love to have a CDP with a DAC with as many inputs as the MCD12000, I'd be able to consolidate my setup. My MCD500 just doesn't have enough inputs as it is, so for me the transport + DAC is a win. The price tag isn't a win, but that's another story.
I've seen a number of gripes here and around over the $12K price....and while that's certainly pricey, it's less than I expected. When I saw a picture of it for the first time, I expected it would be around $15K.

Makes no difference to me, I can't afford it either way...

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop
Old 05-14-2022, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayvis1 View Post
The best DAC is whatever the user's ears and brain are used to. It's the same as vintage tube component fans who can't find any modern amp that sounds as good as their 50-year-old space heater. Upgrades are usually not immediately noticed IMO, unless your brain is trained to believe that the newest and more expensive component HAS to be better in their system. It usually takes quite a while for me to perceive real sonic improvements between modern McIntosh components. I've A/B'd different components and immediately thought I heard a difference, but really couldn't tell if the difference was actually better or not until I played a good portion of my musical library on it.
From your post, I take it that you're a vintage guy. That's cool, and I take your point on the value of consistency/nostalgia. But when that line of reasoning gets applied to modern gear such as a DAC, it flies in the face of most audiophiles' experience.

Most lovers of modern gear have found it easy to improve upon their DACs, amps, speakers, etc. That is not to say every change is good or worthwhile, as you point out. But it is to say that many on this forum would hear a big improvement if they switched from a DA2 to the stand-alone DAC of their choice in the $10-15K range
Old 05-14-2022, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterMusic View Post
From your post, I take it that you're a vintage guy. That's cool, and I take your point on the value of consistency/nostalgia. But when that line of reasoning gets applied to modern gear such as a DAC, it flies in the face of most audiophiles' experience.

Most lovers of modern gear have found it easy to improve upon their DACs, amps, speakers, etc. That is not to say every change is good or worthwhile, as you point out. But it is to say that many on this forum would hear a big improvement if they switched from a DA2 to the stand-alone DAC of their choice in the $10-15K range
You couldn't be more wrong. I'm definitely NOT a "vintage guy" and it's hard to comprehend you'd get that from my post. My posts, like every other one on this forum, are just opinions. Some people just aren't happy unless they're trying the latest high-end toys in their system, which is great for the industry. The majority of us don't have the means for that luxury and are happy to just enjoy music reproduced on their more "modest" systems that have been put together via years of personal listening experiences. No one will ever convince me that a $100k + audio system is a smart investment since the cost for tiny incremental return is so increasingly high. Most who have them will most likely never be satisfied because they're just chasing the dollar sign myth. Again, just my opinion.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:16 AM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

If my memory serves me correctly I think I paid 15 grand for the MDA1000 and MCD1000 combo in 2005. Two box system. The MDA1000 is considered one of the best redbook Dacs ever and the MCD is built like a tank. Very nice spinner but it doesn't play SACD. The MDA1000 is still in huge demand on the secondary market .
Old 05-14-2022, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBT View Post
If my memory serves me correctly I think I paid 15 grand for the MDA1000 and MCD1000 combo in 2005. Two box system. The MDA1000 is considered one of the best redbook Dacs ever and the MCD is built like a tank. Very nice spinner but it doesn't play SACD. The MDA1000 is still in huge demand on the secondary market .
Yup. MSRP for that combo was $15k back in 2005 and they're going for around $6k for the pair today on the used market. So it's cost you a little over $500/year to enjoy them. Not too bad, I guess.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:44 PM

Not to sound rational (Oh, heavens!) about the new MCD12000, but I venture that no one posting here outside the immediate confines of Binghamton, NY has actually listened to the unit.

Bob
__________________________________________________ ________________
Sources: Clearaudio Jubilee MC/Clearaudio Innovation Wood TT w/Universal Arm 9” and Professional Power 24V; MCT500 CD/SACD transport; OPPO 205; NAD C446 Internet Tuner; Nakamichi 670ZX cassette deck. Electronics: MacIntosh C2700 preamp w/DA2 and MC462 power amp. Speakers: Wilson Yvettes with Acoustic Diodes Headphones: MacIntosh MHP 1000 Interconnects: Transparent SBL2 XLR GEN 6 balanced and SSC8 GEN 6 speaker cables; MCT - MCT500 -> C2700.Power cords: Transparent (on preamp, power amp and transport). Surge protected. Record and CD maintenance : Clearaudio Double Matrix Professional Sonic RCM; L’Art du Son CD treatment.
Old 05-14-2022, 07:53 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I don't think its been released yet. By the end of the Summer I suspect they'll be some reviews floating around.