AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 08-23-2014, 07:04 PM

I agree with all of Andy's posts.

I had a cousin who became addicted to heroin many years ago. He obviously had no problem getting it and eventually he died of an overdose. If you want something bad enough, you will find it, illegal or not.

I really don't believe the level of addiction would dramatically increase.

With the money saved on fighting the war on drugs a lot of good can be done. I just read yesterday that the R.C.M.P. in Canada spent nearly 12 million dollars to find marijuana plants to destroy this year. Pot, are kidding me.

As Andy said, what they are doing now just doesn't.

Shindo D'Yquems
Shindo Vosne Romanee
Devore 0/96
Luxman PD-171
Dynavector xx2 MkII
Luxman DA-06
Mac Mini
Magnum Dynalab MD 107t
Shindo and A23 Cables
Old 08-23-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryProtein View Post
The WORLD should just put all the stuff over the counter just like alcohol. The should sell it in a "DRUG" store, tax and regulate it like booze. Prohibition didn't work for alcohol, and it isn't working for drugs either. No more drive by shootings, no more crime to buy expensive drugs, the list of reasons goes on and on.
finally someone that 'get's it' and does not allow emotion and tradition to blind them from fact and considered contemplation.

we have the alcohol prohibition template to teach us if common sense eludes us

of course drugs should be available as is alcohol
Old 08-23-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Sooooooo.........we should sell Oxycontin, Dilaudid, etc......OTC? You do realize that said govt. officials would then have to be deployed to peel millions of people off the streets for various reasons? It would be like the Walking Dead without the zombies walking (eventually) around and trying to eat people. Don't know about NY, but dental prescribing is not exactly the target of the monitoring programs you know.
what on earth leads you to believe that legalization of drugs would cause an increase in use?

Who here do you think will start shooting dope just because it is legal? I sure as hell have no interest, would you?
Old 08-23-2014, 07:42 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
what on earth leads you to believe that legalization of drugs would cause an increase in use?

Who here do you think will start shooting dope just because it is legal? I sure as hell have no interest, would you?
I wasn't talking about street drugs.......that is a totally different conversation and pretty much not relevant to the OP topic. Let me ask you several questions....how much knowledge do you have prescribing, dispensing, or treating people who use and or have become addicted to prescription drugs? Have you ever been addicted to oxycodone? Are you aware that the majority of patients who use opioid narcotics and become addicted have NO INTENTION of becoming.......they have no control since they're some of the most addicting substances on the planet. Have you ever worked in a pharmacy or hospital pharmacy helping said patients? If so, maybe you may have an informed opinion, if not, you need to read more and post less because you don't have any understanding of how these drugs work and what they can do to people who have no intention of ever "using". Jeeeesh.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-23-2014, 07:53 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljr View Post
BTW, I agree with this (again even though this is not relevant to the topic)........most sane people would want no part of it....it would scare a lot of folks half to death to "shoot dope" most people have a hard time with a flu shot. The thing about prescription drugs is that everyone is conditioned here in the U.S. (not sure about overseas, I've never lived in another country) to treat RX medications as safe to use since they're approved by the FDA, studies done, etc etc. People would treat the product as safe and effective and without any guidance of supervision of an MD, dentist, or pharmacist would risk harming themselves or their children. Now, if you're of the opinion that whatever you do to yourself doesn't matter live or die, then I guess so be it. This is one of the reasons that the FDA (not saying this is right or wrong IMO) has declined to make any statins for cholesterol OTC here in the U.S.
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 08-23-2014, 08:08 PM

I certainly believe opoids should be used in the more serious illnesses that are life threatening and carry the commensurate pain, otherwise it's down to education and what time period you are born into. I was very late in even knowing what mariujani was, because my culture and my father's was booze. As I believe everyone on this sites was, and the THC content of the hippy period was i believe 15-20 times lesser than the skunk variety today. Hence you are getting a lot more young people in psych hospital now because this was 'their booze' from an early age and they didn't know the effect it would have on their pre frontal and general brain development. In other words people with a propensity to have schizophrenia are getting the more 'positive' elements of the illness it at a younger age, as the brain doesn't settle until we are thirty.

I was and am scared of class A drugs and would never ever touch them now or in my youth, which was also over before skunk came on the scene. Call that common sense or education, but also only the rich could afford cocaine or heroin then and it never trickled down to my social set, which wasn't poorly educated or criminal, although I was the first in my family to go to university. And if in my salad day's I had friends who did take class A, and one or two died, I wasn't at an impressionable age. At least I wasn't 16 and doing what my mates did. Thank God it was just booze.

A person can overcome their addiction to booze in time, and can get off scott free to live a normal life. They can then channel their addictive nature into healthier area's. At worst they'l be pleasantly eccentric. My step father missed out on serving in 1944 by two years, that is his fortunate time line.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:12 PM
Media Server Aficionado

As if the physician population isn't already overburdened in an increasingly broken system now we have this... The hard stuff is already C2. Pot ffs is C1 only because of the colossal failure that is the war on drugs.

This will prevent nothing and just further antagonizes physicians and support staff.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:25 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post
As if the physician population isn't already overburdened in an increasingly broken system now we have this... The hard stuff is already C2. Pot ffs is C1 only because of the colossal failure that is the war on drugs.

This will prevent nothing and just further antagonizes physicians and support staff.
You got that right......This is definitely the most accurate post so far
Old 08-23-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -E- View Post

Let me play devils advocate for a moment. Are you saying that the medical profession has little or no responsibility for controlling or reducing the possible abuse of prescription drugs? That is like saying a bartender should only worry about how much "he" serves a person before he cuts him off or attempts to make sure they do not drive and disregarding whether he had few before he arrived.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Let me play devils advocate for a moment. Are you saying that the medical profession has little or no responsibility for controlling or reducing the possible abuse of prescription drugs? That is like saying a bartender should only worry about how much "he" serves a person before he cuts him off or attempts to make sure they do not drive and disregarding whether he had few before he arrived.
The way schedule drugs doled out, the prescriber is like a liquor store salesman selling the products, NOT a bartender.

A bartender sells you a product for immediate use on premises. A liquor store salesman or medical prescriber sells you a product to use at home.

Abuse of anything is the responsibility of the user.

Last edited by GaryProtein; 08-23-2014 at 09:09 PM.