AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 01-20-2022, 02:07 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Default Digital Dillemma - Please Help!

Ok, the last few months I have continually thrown money at my system, and while I have seen some upgrades, the last few weeks have been pretty frustrating.

To solve my frustration, I of course threw more money at the "problem" and bought a bunch of DACs thinking I could find that liquid midrange, and warm natural, involving sound I want.

All the while, I've been overlooking probably the most critical thing...my source.

Thanks to many of you who have helped set me straight. I experimented (with my meager MacMini) and was blown away at how much the source makes a difference.

I now have hope that my "done" is much closer than I previously feared.

I still could see my self "DAC Rolling" to vary the sound to my mood, but need to get serious about my source. I've narrowed it down to the following:

All separates - DAC, Streamer (without storage), external storage (like ROON, etc)

More integrated separates - Streamer/storage combo, DAC

or fully integrated (DAC/Streamer/Storage combo)

SQ is the top priority (and more specifically, the "flavor" I'm after, very warm, organic sound over analytical.

Which route should I go?

The short list I've come up with is the following:

Lumin U1 (as dedicated streamer only), DACs (to taste), and adding some server storage down the road

Aurender W20 (used), Streamer/Server together - to DACs (could still DAC Roll if I wanted)

Aurender A30 as DAC/Streamer/Storage (no DAC rolling here, but if it sounds good enough...)

dCS Rossini as DAC/Streamer - with plans to add a clock and external storage down the road

Linn Klimax DSM/2 as DAC/Streamer combo (used)

For DAC Rolling, I now have the PS Audio DSD, an MDA-1000, a dCS Dabussy, and the Schiit YGGY LIM. I plan to do a DAC Shootout sometime next week, where I may get to hear an Aqua La Scala, and a Lumin Dac/streamer. I've been interested to check out the Lampizator Baltic 3 as a tube dac, but the whole DAC list is another issue, for another day.

My head is about to explode! I never knew you needed to be an engineer to setup an all digital front end.

My buying style is to buy used whenever possible, and with Digital changing daily, I am not in need of the "latest and greatest" as that will be obsolete tomorrow. A setup that sounded amazing a few years ago, is probably all I'll need to be content.

I'm just looking at the correct source or combo that will take the digital edges away from the music and sound pleasing today, and for years to come.

I hate any sort of brightness, so I'd err on the side of less detail to get more warmth if that makes sense.

I've always been a "separates" guy, but I'm open to be schooled.

What do you all say?
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-20-2022, 03:00 PM
TechDAS AF 1 & Vitus MP

I’m partial to Aurender (own a N30SA), but not to their DACs. So, the W20 may be a really good fit with a good DAC (perhaps the AQUA). The dCS Rossini might be good as well.

I highly recommend EMM Labs (I own thier DAC, PRE and Transport) and they have a MA3 Integrated D/A Converter which you may be interested in. App $8200. Your dealer my be able to arrange to hear it in your system prior to purchase. They let me do that do that with their DAC and PRE and a set of thier monos will be here in a little over a month to try ….

https://www.emmlabs.com/ma3.php

Magico M3s; Vitus Masterpiece Components; TechDAS Air Force One; 2 x SME 3012-R; Airtight Opus 1 and MSL Platinum Signature; Taiko Audio Extreme + Switch; Albedo Metamorphosis Signature cables.

Last edited by JoeN; 01-20-2022 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-20-2022, 03:28 PM
Member of the Music Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeN View Post
I’m partial to Aurender (own a N30SA), but not to their DACs. So, the W20 may be a really good fit with a good DAC (perhaps the AQUA). The dCS Rossini might be good as well.

I highly recommend EMM Labs (I own thier DAC, PRE and Transport) and they have a MA3 Integrated D/A Converter which you may be interested in. App $8200. Your dealer my be able to arrange to hear it in your system prior to purchase. They let me do that do that with their DAC and PRE and a set of thier monos will be here in a little over a month to try ….

https://www.emmlabs.com/ma3.php

I would second that, the Meitner MA3 is an excellent streaming DAC
Sonus Faber Elipsa SE | REL S/812 | Goldmund Telos 280 | EAR Yoshino 912 | Merason DAC1 | Innuos ZENith Mk3 | Clearaudio Innovation Basic + TT5 + Lyra Delos | Studer A810+A807 | Nakamichi Dragon | RDacoustic Hybrid Acoustic Diffuser
Old 01-20-2022, 03:50 PM

Grasshopper-

You certainly have a very capable system and upgrading the MacMini should prove to be a wise decision. There are plenty of choices and we all have our favorites.

Personally, I have been happy with the Bryston BDP3. It can be ordered with built in WiFi or simply plug in its Ethernet directly into your router or a WiFi extender if hard wiring would involve breaking down walls.

You can add your own SSD for local storage and it's compatible with Qobuz and Tidal. Its Manic Moose software is very stable and great sounding. Bryston has been working on a major revision to the Moose that will be more modern in its GUI and interact with other streaming services. It includes a 60 day ROON trial although I felt the ROON sound quality was lacking compared to Manic Moose.

Enjoy the Hunt!

John
Old 01-20-2022, 05:53 PM

You’ve got some good options on the list - I personally would look at a separate DAC to your streaming, albeit it might cost you a little more.

With technology changing all the time, and the fact you may like to change your DAC flavour over time, keeping it separate just gives you more flexibility. Another option for streaming / local storage is the Taiko, but this has a higher price point than the other options (although from my experience it is justified).

Good luck and keep us posted on how you go…
Old 01-20-2022, 06:20 PM

I upgraded from a Mac Mini to a Naim several years ago--a huge improvement.

Make sure you also have a good interconnect from source to DAC. I think Nordost has the widest selection. Your dealer should loan you several to try--you may be surprised at how much difference this makes
Old 01-20-2022, 06:31 PM
Life is beautiful

When I started streaming, I thought a streamer wasn't very important.
Bits are bits...

I was so wrong.
I explored the market and was floored by the differences between streamers.

https://www.audioaficionado.org/showthread.php?t=48374

It might just be the most important component in the chain, because everything that is lost here, can never be restored later. Take care of the quality of your ethernet switch (+ power supply) also!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-21-2022, 01:44 AM
Aspiring Audiophile

All good feedback.

I’m going to go separates and keep the DAC as a DAC.

Just pulled the trigger on my 5th DAC (so I can sample flavors).

Next purchase should be a streamer.

I just need to decide between one with or without storage.

Curious how the Innuos stack up.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 01-21-2022, 02:03 AM

The two most versatile streamers in terms of output options are the Lumin U1 which has no storage or the Auralic Aries G2.1 which you can buy either with or without storage. I've owned units from both companies and prefer Auralic but others prefer Lumin. Can't go wrong with either. Both have been in business a long time and have mature constantly upgraded software. It took Innuos years to develop their own software that was released last year and is still having growing pains. I would keep the streamer, DAC and storage separate.
Old 01-21-2022, 05:49 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
The two most versatile streamers in terms of output options are the Lumin U1 which has no storage or the Auralic Aries G2.1 which you can buy either with or without storage. I've owned units from both companies and prefer Auralic but others prefer Lumin. Can't go wrong with either. Both have been in business a long time and have mature constantly upgraded software. It took Innuos years to develop their own software that was released last year and is still having growing pains. I would keep the streamer, DAC and storage separate.

Good advice

How would you rate the sound signature between the Auralic and Lumin?

I’ve heard the Innuos is on the warm side of neutral, and the Lumin is the warmest of the bunch.

I tend to prefer warmer sound- so I’m trying to figure that piece out too.