AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 03-10-2021, 01:00 PM
Upgrade?

From my experience (and I had a similar starting point), it would be worth checking either Rockna or Holo dacs (the higher, the better). I ended up with Rockna Wavedream balanced but newer Rockna Wavelight and Holo Audio May dacs look promising as well.
Old 03-10-2021, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFi View Post
I guess I can use the T2 as the streamer for the Hugo TT. I am not very familiar with the sound of chord Dacs but I’ve always heard good things. Is the Mscaler an upsampling device?

M

To understand how the MScaler works, you first have to understand the secret sauce of Chord DACs which employ a custom filter that Watts designed. He’s been working on iterations of this for decades now.

The premise is that while Nyquist’s principle holds true in that the digitized 44.1kHz signal can capture all the frequencies up to half the sampling rate, the reconstruction of the analogue signal from the digital is flawed. This filter employs a number of “taps” that allows it to better approximate the “next” value in the signal. It’s more than just a simple upsampling.

In the past, the limitations of compute power meant he was limited in the number of taps he could use. In the DAVE he was able to get it to about 1/4 million taps vs tens of thousands in the lower models. That’s one of the reasons why the DAVE sounds better than the Hugo TT2 of Qutest.

With the MScaler he was able to use a newer processor that could do a million taps which was his end goal when he designed that filter decades ago. With that number of taps, he said the filter would be able to reproduce the original signal perfectly.

Rather than release a DAVE 2, he made the MScaler as an external box that would work for the DAVE and the Hugo 2 and Qutest as well
Old 03-11-2021, 02:29 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Very nice ideas so far !

My budget is around $5500, I have been curious about Denafrips Terminator, the web is full of good comments about it, but I haven’t find specifically if it is bright or warm sounding.

The x-sabre looks well designed and very interesting for the money! Have you had the chance to listen to it compared to a T2? That would be very helpful.

Seems that you have experience with the directstream. I like the DSD concept of it and I’ve read that ps audio uses very a very high quality clock in its architecture. Unfortunately I have not auditioned it yet. How do you describe the sound?

M
LampiZator Baltic-3.

I just bought the one I'm reviewing for TAS...it is frickin' amazing.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-11-2021, 01:34 PM

A lot of good recommendations !! I am surely going to look in to many of them.

Dkorbal: Its going to be interesting to let me know your findings about the sonic improvements of the DA2 vs DA1. As you said, if that works would be the less expensive alternative.

Doggiehouser, Clpetersen and W9TR : I have to confess that even when I've read very positive comments in the forum about Chord products, I never dig more into them. maybe my perception (based in total ignorance), looking so small and their particular aesthetic design got me away of learning more about them. Due to your suggestions I have spent some time watching reviews of the TT 2, and I find very Interesting their approach to deliver that quality in such a small size. Compared to the terminator, Aquas, Holos and PS Directstream dimensions I just wonder how can chord contend in that audio segment without using big, heavy and beefy power supplies and capacitors. If that's the case it is just amazing what they have achieved just by design and technology. It's nice to know that for buying the TT 2, it is possible to go even further in sound quality saving some more money and getting the Mscaler after.

JMD: Ps Directstream comments are always consistent about sound quality and warmness. thank you for the suggestion, since it looks like a safe play, and the price is just in my budget. About La Voce. It's the first time I've heard about it. Looks very refined and well designed. Do you have any Idea if there is a dealer in the US, that can offer an audition?.

Robfine: I just watched in youtube a review from Hans Beekhuyzen abut the Holo. Do you concur with his findings? is that the version the one that you have?. His comments are really good aside of his criticism about upsampling.

Puma Cat: Please share your review as soon as you finish your testing.

Very nice products in this audio world that we love.... I will have so much fun looking into audition or investigate more about all this options... Guess It will take more time than expected.

Last edited by AudioFi; 03-12-2021 at 03:24 AM.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:40 PM

I would be interested in knowing what you end up with. I also have a T2 that I've been very happy with and it would be fun to have an alternate DAC to switch to on occasion. I do something similar in my second rig where I have a streamer feeding a DAC and the digital input of a CD player and I switch between the two via my Pre. Please keep us updated.
Home Gym: KEF LS50W-II

Office: ZuAudio Dirty Weekend, BluSound Powernode, Schiit Mani, Fluance RT85, REL T/5i
Old 03-12-2021, 01:20 AM

AudioFi

I actually own the DirectStream DAC. When I use the Bridge II for streaming (not a great native app so Roon is almost a must), the sound quality is very very good. But over coax or USB, it isn't quite as good. It really sounds best over their I2S inputs. With USB or coax, I found the DAVE (even without MScaler) to sound better.
Old 03-12-2021, 02:05 AM

AudioFi

Yes the DirectStream is a safe bet but at this point I would probably buy used which you can easily do for around $3000. The La Voce S3 is similarly voiced but just gives a little more on both extremes without being forward at all. There are dozens of dealers in the U.S. at this time and I would call Scott at Arcadia Audio to find one close to you. I am going to place my order for the Holo May the first of the week so I won't have any impressions of it for about six weeks. Read David Abramson's review of the La Voce S3 and the Holo May on Stereo Times as he compares them against each other and a Directstream Jr. Like me David went from a La Voce S2 to a Directstream to a La Voce S3 and then reviewed the Holo May.

Last edited by JMD; 03-12-2021 at 02:17 AM. Reason: addition
Old 03-12-2021, 12:16 PM

I’ve got the C2700 with the DA2 module. While it is a good sounding DAC I decided last year to get a Holo May KTE to try the R2R route. In my system the difference between the two is obvious. The Holo May has a huge soundstage, better vocals, instrument decay and the noise floor is black. Highly recommended and it is within your price range.
Old 03-14-2021, 08:32 PM

Default For sure..

Quote:
Originally Posted by paltomare View Post
I would be interested in knowing what you end up with. I also have a T2 that I've been very happy with and it would be fun to have an alternate DAC to switch to on occasion. I do something similar in my second rig where I have a streamer feeding a DAC and the digital input of a CD player and I switch between the two via my Pre. Please keep us updated.
Hi paltomare

I will let you know te result of this for sure.
I am curious if you have ever try to compare the native dac in the lumin t2 vs your venus II connected to the t2 by usb, using the streaming part of the lumin.

In many reviews the Venus II is described to have a sound quality, close to the Terminator.

Which option sounds better and what are sonic characteristics/differences?

Please let me know your findings.

Last edited by AudioFi; 03-15-2021 at 02:01 AM.
Old 03-16-2021, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Hi paltomare

I will let you know te result of this for sure.
I am curious if you have ever try to compare the native dac in the lumin t2 vs your venus II connected to the t2 by usb, using the streaming part of the lumin.

In many reviews the Venus II is described to have a sound quality, close to the Terminator.

Which option sounds better and what are sonic characteristics/differences?

Please let me know your findings.
Hey AudioFi.
The Venus is still on its way to me from Vinshine. I'm very much looking forward to getting that piece. I previously had an Ares II and was impressed enough to move up the Denefrips line. I did not try the Ares in the system that has the T2 but I did have it in my other system. The signal path was Auralic Aries G1 to Ares II via Toslink and to an Accuphase DP430 via coax. I could switch between the two with the input selector on my preamp. I also had a USB connection between the G1 and the Ares II. I found that I preferred listening to traditional jazz, and female vocal through the Ares, while I preferred rock, and electronic through the Accuphase. The Ares seemed to provide more air around the instruments, if that makes sense. I could hear the individual instruments more and vocals felt more in the room. The Accuphase seemed more dynamic and powerful. Not as laid back as the Ares. I'm hopeful the Venus takes what the Ares does even further. One thing to note is that the output from the Ares was hotter than the Accuphase. I would need to turn the volume down a bit to match that of the Accuphase. When the Venus arrives I plan to test it in the T2 rig before putting it the other system. For what's it's worth the Chord Qutest has grabbed my attention as the alternate DAC in the T2 rig.
Home Gym: KEF LS50W-II

Office: ZuAudio Dirty Weekend, BluSound Powernode, Schiit Mani, Fluance RT85, REL T/5i