AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Esoteric Audio

Esoteric Audio World Class cost no object Electronics

Old 09-07-2014, 07:11 PM

Okay. Am I the only one having issues following this topic?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:02 PM

Most likely note! But you have to admit this is a fun topic because this is really the type of stuff that can push the digital medium even beyond analog playback. Sometime i get lost too but i have to say i am amazed by some of the response in this thread and the level of knowledge within AA members. This is why i enjoy this forum so much!
Old 09-07-2014, 11:22 PM

Like what custodian reported on his finding.

Some forumers in HK tested a few and picked:

1) dCS 992 + Antelope 10m
2) dCS 992 + Symmentricon
3) dCS Scarlatti + Antelope 10 m
4) dCS Scarlatti + Symmentricon
5) Esoteric G0Rb

It seems the dcs clock sounds good although it hay not be equipped with the best oscillator for phase noise.

Unfortunately the usual suspects as the stanfords PRS10 or the likes of cheaper good performing 10M references were not tested.

The dcs also could not accept a 10m signal directly to the dac or transport.

Not many players/dacs can accept a 10m sine directly other than the newer esoterics which i know can. This could possibly be cheaper option for addition of a external reference.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:17 AM

Thanks for sharing these test results. You right when you say the dcs clock are good in themselves... I may perform the test with the stanford master myself on my vivaldi clock...
Old 09-08-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCR View Post
Thanks for sharing these test results. You right when you say the dcs clock are good in themselves... I may perform the test with the stanford master myself on my vivaldi clock...
Look up the quartzlock e10 y8, small portable ready to use, not the most well built but from spec sightly better that the stanford model by -7db at 1hz.

I got the standard model but not setup yet. You may ask them if there is a even lower phase noise model but not sure what is the price for that, if available.

It may be a better option than the stanford model which has a switching supply, with the portable model it is a external switching supply which i am customising a good linear supply which may prove more useful.

Custodian may have more jnput as he was involved with this model.
Old 09-08-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justubes View Post
Look up the quartzlock e10 y8, small portable ready to use, not the most well built but from spec sightly better that the stanford model by -7db at 1hz. I got the standard model but not setup yet. You may ask them if there is a even lower phase noise model but not sure what is the price for that, if available. It may be a better option than the stanford model which has a switching supply, with the portable model it is a external switching supply which i am customising a good linear supply which may prove more useful. Custodian may have more jnput as he was involved with this model.
This was one of the modules we tested at DCS. It will need a decent power supply and case. Quarzlock built an audio version complete which they sold for $5k however as I noted elsewhere, there are continuity issues with the company following the recent death of the owner. In the meantime, the SRS clock seems a sensible alternative.

A very low cost alternative to experiment with is to buy one of the modules sold as surplus from China telecoms applications ( search your favourite auction sites). These can be found for $150 and can be programmed to produce a 10mHz signal. They will require a 15v psu. Interesting project to explore the effect of rubidium clock on your digital system
Old 09-08-2014, 01:17 PM

The idea of buying a stanform oem rubidium module or a ebay one may have issues, in that the 10m sine signal is 0.5v at 50ohms.

Using a 75ohm audipphile cable may cause this voltage to drop and hence not be able to lock. A amplifier module may be require to boost the signal.

You mention issues with your BVA reference needing a different circuit to lock. Is this a frequency amplifier?

Diy may have issues as the signal gain needed is above 0.5v at 50 ohm , example the esoteric units which need 0.5 to 1v to lock.

All commercial for audio clock units use a 75ohm output at 0.5v instead of the lab or oem units.

Was this an issue as with a plain oem BVA module? If any member here go the route of getting a BVA and nice power supply and put pne in a chassis?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:44 PM

Quote:
The idea of buying a stanform oem rubidium module or a ebay one may have issues, in that the 10m sine signal is 0.5v at 50ohms. Using a 75ohm audipphile cable may cause this voltage to drop and hence not be able to lock. A amplifier module may be require to boost the signal. You mention issues with your BVA reference needing a different circuit to lock. Is this a frequency amplifier? Diy may have issues as the signal gain needed is above 0.5v at 50 ohm , example the esoteric units which need 0.5 to 1v to lock. All commercial for audio clock units use a 75ohm output at 0.5v instead of the lab or oem units. Was this an issue as with a plain oem BVA module? If any member here go the route of getting a BVA and nice power supply and put pne in a chassis?
I started off by building a clock using one of the surplus telecoms rubidium units. Locking is not a problem.

Rubidium modules have a locking signal on the connector and should display lock signal in a few minutes.

BVA is different. There is no locking signal and performance will settle over 48 hours. Performance at start up is very good but it will get much better as the system settles over time.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Look up the quartzlock e10 y8, small portable ready to use, not the most well built but from spec sightly better that the stanford model by -7db at 1hz.
This is an interesting model. How much is it ? Is it still available ?

If the PSU is external, one can probably get a better performance by substituting it for sth like the Teddy Pardo PSU.
Old 09-08-2014, 04:36 PM

PS. Why settle on Rubidium ? I've heard Hydrogen Masters are all the rage right now in Asia