AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Wilson Audio

Wilson Audio Authentic Excellence

Old 12-08-2014, 11:34 PM

I changed my tweeter resistors. The net resistance was lower from 4.5 ohm to 3.33 ohm.

The result is very pleasing. The treble in original setting is too recess. You should at least ask for a extra set of tweeter resistors. It is a four piece set. Factory default is 9 ohm and you can ask for a set of 7 ohm. Changing the resistors are extremely easy and the factory package includes a set of spares. Tweeter resistors rarely blown, but I did blown one midrange resistor before. You can ask to swap the factory spare to a 7 ohm set, then you don"t need to pay anything.
Old 12-10-2014, 12:51 AM
Living La Vida Vinyl

The room pictures on my monitors seem a bit yellowish on the walls, with white/creme trim, grey tile on the fireplace with a brownish hued picture above. Furniture looks like brownish stained maple. Rug is mostly warm colors. But maybe none of that is correct.

I agree about taking resale into consideration and custom colors are higher cost.

Desert Silver is very neutral and blends well, but not sure it is right for the room.
Black goes with a variety of decor but can be a bit imposing, especially if it is glossy. If there are other gloss black items in the room (picture frames, piano, etc.) then it can work well. I put the Wilson color next to your picture and the Oxford Grey is fine to my eyes. Since you've already made a choice - enjoy the anticipation and don't fret.

Wrt resistors - you should have Wilson or your dealer doing the setup, so don't worry about resistors until then. They can advise on whether they are needed. Your room has its own acoustics. There doesn't appear to be any treatment shown in the pictures while a TV and coffee table(?) present reflective surfaces. Might be something to consider.
Old 12-12-2014, 02:05 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Default All good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by tima View Post
The room pictures on my monitors seem a bit yellowish on the walls, with white/creme trim, grey tile on the fireplace with a brownish hued picture above. Furniture looks like brownish stained maple. Rug is mostly warm colors. But maybe none of that is correct.

I agree about taking resale into consideration and custom colors are higher cost.

Desert Silver is very neutral and blends well, but not sure it is right for the room.
Black goes with a variety of decor but can be a bit imposing, especially if it is glossy. If there are other gloss black items in the room (picture frames, piano, etc.) then it can work well. I put the Wilson color next to your picture and the Oxford Grey is fine to my eyes. Since you've already made a choice - enjoy the anticipation and don't fret.

Wrt resistors - you should have Wilson or your dealer doing the setup, so don't worry about resistors until then. They can advise on whether they are needed. Your room has its own acoustics. There doesn't appear to be any treatment shown in the pictures while a TV and coffee table(?) present reflective surfaces. Might be something to consider.
Thanks for the advice! The lighting in the room made it hard to get accurate color as I didn't have a flash or external lighting handy. Definitely have lots of natural color in the room; what you don't see is the open area behind where I was standing. It opens to the kitchen (with granite) and eating area (which happens to have wood flooring throughout as well as a solid granite dining room table). There is also sliding glass doors and windows on that back wall too, so reflective surfaces abound! I rely on the MX-150's room correction to help me out, but I will take the opportunity to have the professionals give me their opinions on acoustics as there is easily a lot of room for improvement.

Again, I really appreciate the thoughtfulness in your reply! Thanks!
Old 12-14-2014, 01:42 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Take full advantage of the time with your dealer and pay close attention to how they set your speakers up in YOUR room. It's pretty cool to hear your room "voiced". My dealer came out to evaluate my system and found a "null in my room. He had paid me a visit to have me evaluate some Transparent cables and also measure my room for Maxx 3's. He positioned my speakers differently than the first initial setup done by another Wilson dealer! Wilson's require a proper setup which takes significant time. The only speaker where I couldn't just place in the usual spot and sound it's best. Enjoy your new speakers.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 12-14-2014, 03:03 PM

Don't always accept their placement as "perfect", though. I moved my Sasha's a little after my dealer left because I disagreed with his opinion. He was great, don't get me wrong, I just had a different opinion, and mine is the one that matters most :-)
Old 01-24-2015, 01:51 AM
Keeping it real since '75

Default Alexia's are here!

Wanted to let everyone know that I finally have my Alexia's!! The sound is amazing! I took some pictures of them getting un-boxed and set up; I will get the pics posted this weekend. Stay tuned!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
Wanted to let everyone know that I finally have my Alexia's!! The sound is amazing! I took some pictures of them getting un-boxed and set up; I will get the pics posted this weekend. Stay tuned!!!
Congratulations!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM3CPO View Post
Great news. Looking forward to the pics!!!
XLO - cables; Aural Symphonics - cords; Shunyata - cords
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 AM

Sweet! Has to be an exciting moment turning them on for the first time.

[MacBook with Audirvana+ -- WW Plat USB -- W4S DAC2 -- WW Silver IC -- C2300 NOS Telefunken blue tips -- WW Silver IC -- Mc252 -- 803S] + [dual Fathom F113 v2] + [WW Silver PC's]
Long term goals, one piece at a time
Old 01-24-2015, 08:34 AM

Congrats! You'll be very happy!