AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Audio Discussion

General Audio Discussion All other Audio Q & A

Old 02-12-2015, 09:59 PM
Rebellious!

I purchased my C2500 for less than a C2300. Simply, the all analog nature is what makes the C2300 a modern classic-thus drives the price and demand. There is some contention with the included DAC on this forum (see jdandy's comments) and less knobs, yet Mcintosh specifies that the C2500 is superior in a few small areas. Which is understandable, as there was some "learning" from previous preamp designs. At this point, to each their own, these preamps are just about the best you can buy.

What sound are you after? The euphonic or pleasing tube sound, or the accurate low distortion sound of something else? The C50 is the best match for the latter, and AudioClassics gave you a good recommendation.

Both C50/2500 have a built in DAC, I think the Burr Brown (TI) PCM1795 DAC, which are some of the best chips coming from TI. However, the implementation with the analog portion of the preamp may be the defining characteristic- I don't know. It sounds great and I plug my Computer, Sonos, and an Apple Camera Connection Kit adaptor with my iPad. So I am good for digital.

The Phono stage, from what I understand , is very similair to the ones found in their $22,000 Preamps. I certainly like the remote adjustable cartridge loading.
The VPI Classic is on my list and many have advised me to do so.

In conclusion, you can't go wrong buying all McIntosh-still there are so many other great products out there. Try what you can, buy what you like.

Bill
Old 02-12-2015, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
I purchased my C2500 for less than a C2300. Simply, the all analog nature is what makes the C2300 a modern classic-thus drives the price and demand. There is some contention with the included DAC on this forum (see jdandy's comments) and less knobs, yet Mcintosh specifies that the C2500 is superior in a few small areas. Which is understandable, as there was some "learning" from previous preamp designs. At this point, to each their own, these preamps are just about the best you can buy. What sound are you after? The euphonic or pleasing tube sound, or the accurate low distortion sound of something else? The C50 is the best match for the latter, and AudioClassics gave you a good recommendation. Both C50/2500 have a built in DAC, I think the Burr Brown (TI) PCM1795 DAC, which are some of the best chips coming from TI. However, the implementation with the analog portion of the preamp may be the defining characteristic- I don't know. It sounds great and I plug my Computer, Sonos, and an Apple Camera Connection Kit adaptor with my iPad. So I am good for digital. The Phono stage, from what I understand , is very similair to the ones found in their $22,000 Preamps. I certainly like the remote adjustable cartridge loading. The VPI Classic is on my list and many have advised me to do so. In conclusion, you can't go wrong buying all McIntosh-still there are so many other great products out there. Try what you can, buy what you like. Bill
Bill, thank you your comments on these 2 preamps. My limited analysis of the C2300 and the C2500 leads me to believe you couldn't go wrong with either one. It seems to me, unless it impacts performance in some way, getting the DAC with the C2500 would be an added bonus. The DAC should be capable of playing most of the hi-res files available today. Ultimately, I think I would like a DSD capable DAC, but while I'm getting started it should work. The question of tube versus solid state is one I am going to need to decide. The only tube equipment I have ever heard was the VSi75 from Audio Research. I'm not sure if it is representative of the "tube" sound or not. I will have to plan a trip to Dallas to find out as my local dealer does not carry any tube equipment. It's also good to hear about the quality of the phonostage in these preamps. It sounds like I won't need to worry about finding a separate phonostage and can put that money to use elsewhere in the system. Again, thanks for taking the time to respond.

I think I remember from your profile you live in Texas. I don't how close you are, but I am up in Amarillo.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:08 PM
Rebellious!

El Paso.

Texas is huge!

For DSD, the Mcintosh D150 & the preamp of your choosing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (97.0 KB, 103 views)
Old 02-12-2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0OBillO0o View Post
El Paso. Texas is huge! For DSD, the Mcintosh D150 & the preamp of your choosing.
In my best Texas accent : That's pretty fer
Old 02-24-2015, 12:42 AM

I have decided to devote the biggest part of my budget to vinyl. In an effort, to open up more of my budget to upgrade my turntable, I am looking at different options in the digital area. I have always been intrigued by the Oppo universal players since they play so many different formats and can also be used as a DAC. I was wondering if there were any members using the 105 as their main disc player and as a DAC for their hi-res files. If so, I would love to hear how they feel about its performance.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:00 AM
From the BAT cave ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadave View Post
I have decided to devote the biggest part of my budget to vinyl. In an effort, to open up more of my budget to upgrade my turntable, I am looking at different options in the digital area. I have always been intrigued by the Oppo universal players since they play so many different formats and can also be used as a DAC. I was wondering if there were any members using the 105 as their main disc player and as a DAC for their hi-res files. If so, I would love to hear how they feel about its performance.
You may want to ask this question in the CD Players, Digital Music and Server forum where there is usually a lot of Oppo 105 (and 103) discussion.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessman View Post
You may want to ask this question in the CD Players, Digital Music and Server forum where there is usually a lot of Oppo 105 (and 103) discussion.
Thanks. I will re-post in the other forum.

Last edited by Amadave; 02-25-2015 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:14 AM

Amadave

Become a subscriber so you have access to the Marketplace here...your $$ potentially could go twice as far......
Old 03-01-2015, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsrule View Post
Amadave Become a subscriber so you have access to the Marketplace here...your $$ potentially could go twice as far......
I'll give it a look.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:25 PM

I took another step on the upgrade trail this weekend. I upgraded from a Rega RP3 to a Rega RP10 with the Apheta cartridge. I got a good deal on a demo unit with full warranty. Also got a new Rega Aria phonostage. Total cost was less than the current retail on the turntable and cartridge alone. I guess I was in the right place at the right time. The difference in performance is like night and day.

Last edited by Amadave; 03-16-2015 at 10:07 PM.