AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 05-17-2013, 01:41 PM

Default Proteus

There isn't much about these on the internet so I thought i'd post up my impressions.

Early says but it seems to be a fair leap beyond the Orpheus ... retains the strong sense of naturaless, fluidity and musicality of the old cart but adds a whole new level of speed/timing and edge bite especially in the bass, and just more dynamics and sense of presence. Less polite and a sense of being a fair bit closer to the raw music, but still smooth and beuatifully refined. Definitely one of the best carts I have ever heard.

Old 05-17-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus340r View Post
There isn't much about these on the internet so I thought i'd post up my impressions.

Early says but it seems to be a fair leap beyond the Orpheus ... retains the strong sense of naturaless, fluidity and musicality of the old cart but adds a whole new level of speed/timing and edge bite especially in the bass, and just more dynamics and sense of presence. Less polite and a sense of being a fair bit closer to the raw music, but still smooth and beuatifully refined. Definitely one of the best carts I have ever heard.
Waiting on one for review. Though not the best controlled conditions, the Helius + Proteus really outshowed the Dyna 1T + Triplanar combo on the "small" -and I say that lightly-Redpoint table st the NY Show. More musically coherent info, richer and dynamic.
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 05-17-2013, 03:57 PM

Hi Myles, yes I couldn't stop listening all this afternoon. It's a beautiful cart for sure. Sounds really opened up already. Timbre and texture is glorious and it has way more drive.

Never been a huge fan of the XV1 family personally. I can appreciate them but never loved them. Look forward to the review.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Hi Myles, yes I couldn't stop listening all this afternoon. It's a beautiful cart for sure. Sounds really opened up already. Timbre and texture is glorious and it has way more drive.

Never been a huge fan of the XV1 family personally. I can appreciate them but never loved them. Look forward to the review.
It's more than competitive at the price; the only issue is its low output. You have no issue with the Allnic (mine should be back after being repaired!!!).

Take it that you like it more than the Puritas. That's a lovely sounding cartridge and amazing dimensionality!
Myles Astor, Senior Editor., Positive-Feedback.com, Goldmund Telos 300 amplifier, Goldmund Mimesis 37S Nextgen preamplifier, Doshi EVO phono and tape stages; Zellaton Plural EVO speakers; VPI Vanquish Turntable, VPI 12-inch Fat Boy gimbal arm and SAT LM-12 arm; Lyra Atlas SL Lambda, Fuuga mk.2, vdh Colibri Master Signature cartridges; Technics 1506/FM heads; Various cables including TA, MIT, Kubala-Sosna, Skogrand, Viero L3 Equilibrio speaker cables, Audience, SRA Craz 3 rack, Isobase and OHIO Class XL+2.1 platforms.
Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 PM

Yes, my volume is another 10 clicks further forward !

Not sure about vs. the puritas. I am waiting for a more suitable arm for the puritas so shall reserve final judgement. The puritas is as impressive i guess but in other ways .... raw energy, resolution, dimensionality and width as you say.

Last edited by lotus340r; 05-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Yes, my volume is another 10 clicks further forward !

Not sure about vs. the puritas. I am waiting for a more suitable arm for the puritas so shall reserve final judgement. The puritas is as impressive i guess but in other ways .... raw energy, resolution, dimensionality and width as you say.
Yes and the Puritas really needs a high mass arm.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:55 AM

Any reviews so far? I have not seen any, still. My Orpheus needs retip, I heard no re tipping at factory for Orpheus anymore, that is also strange. I may consider a Proteus. Currently I am back to my backup Phoenix which is also very good. Lotus340r, can you provide any further feedback on your Proteus? I am sure it has burned in now.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:17 PM

No brainer. Just do it.
Old 09-25-2013, 03:44 AM

Quote:
No brainer. Just do it.
Thanks for the feedback. My worry is its very low output of 0.2mV, well I have ARC Ref2 SE, which has a 74db high gain and I use its balanced output, but I did not like high gain with Phoenix which has 0.4mv output. There are two possibilities, either high gain at Ref2 SE is inferior compared to low gain (74db vs 51db), or there was too much gain on Phoenix with 74db which implies lower gain. Now switched to low gain with Phoenix, and results are much better even if I need to push volume setting on my Ref 3 preamp higher. If high gain is inferior on Ref2 Se, that will not presumably yield a good result with Proteus either. On the other hand, if it is not the gain stage quality but just a matter of optimum gain with the cartridge, then with Proteus, high gain should yield almost a perfect match on Ref2 SE.