AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Sonus Faber

Sonus Faber Italy's Best

Old 10-07-2020, 06:13 PM

Default Amati Homage Tradition setup woes

Dear friends have just set up their first high end system. They have paired these Sonus Fabers with a McIntosh MA9000 and their source is high res Deezer through the Wyred4sound modified Sonos connect.
The immediate presentation is extremely fatiguing on the high end. Unlistenable at moderate volumes. Both of them are experiencing the same clouding of their eardrums. Unfortunately they are on the west coast and I cannot visit to hear myself.

How profound is the break in for these speakers?

Do these speakers need a tube amp or preamp?

Is the MA9000’s 300 watts going to hold them back?

Please help me head off this tragic first high end system experience!
Old 10-07-2020, 07:00 PM
Aspiring Audiophile

Way too many variables.

-room
-speaker positioning
-source

I can’t imagine the MA9000 isn’t a good match. It may not be as dynamic as in integrated with more juice, but that wouldn’t “fatigue”.

When I hear fatigue, I imagine a harsh sound or brightness.

Source is the first place I’d look.

I’d want to hear other sources,but the room and positioning are critical too.
Main > Aurender N10/N100 / Antipodes K50 > Aries Cerat Kassandra mk2 - Playback Designs Dream DAC > D'agostino Momentum HD > PS Audio P10 > D'Agostino S250 > Sonus Faber Aida / REL S812 Six Pack + 4 JL Audio F113 Fathoms > B&W Signature HTM > Anthem Statement D2v > Mcintosh MC205 > Focal 1000 (side surrounds) > Bryston TIW (rear surrounds)

Secondary System > Aurender N100h> AMR777SE > D'agostino Momentum Integrated > Wilson Sasha DAW
Old 10-07-2020, 07:12 PM

Just let the system settle first.

I can’t imagine the McIntosh or the Amati being fatiguing unless it is in the most challenging of rooms.

If anything, I’ve found the Amati sounds better with a more dynamic amplifier.

I’ve had good results with the ARC VT80SE and the PassLabs INT25 but the one I am enjoying the most right now is the Accuphase E380.

Once the system is run in, maybe have a look at basic room treatments and then cabling.

I’ve found Tellurium Q Black range helps reduce harshness. But I wouldn’t experiment with cables until after you have finished running in the gear.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:29 PM

Take advantage of the tone controls on the MA9000 to reduce the high frequency harshness during the break-in period.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:35 PM

Yes, as doggie says, let it settle in a bit. The MA9000 should be a good match for those speakers. Having said that, it would be good to know what cabling is being used. And then as Grasshopper says, look to the source first. I’ve heard conflicting reports on the modded Sonos.
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 AM
George

I just upgraded my Olympica’s to Amati Traditional about a week ago. They never sounded harsh in any way. I have found them to be good sounding if a bit polite in the bass at the start... but I am very familiar with the sound that you describe. I have heard it with some electronics. The Amati are more sensitive in the high frequency than many previous Sonus. They are very fast... more like ribbons, so if there is high frequency hash coming through the signal path, you are going to hear it. While I am not a fan of Mac equipment, this is not a characteristic of it. So, I would doubt the Mac has the kind of infrasonic hash you are talking about, unless there is something wrong with it... like the bias set too high in the amp. I would look upstream. This problem sounds way more than cabling. In addition, while this would not be the cause.. how lively is the room? Reflective surfaces everywhere? Dampen behind speakers, side walls, and floors if wood. Also behind listener if reflective. You can see my associated equipment below. 300 watts, is plenty. My amp never breaks a sweat (as in kicks in class B at 150 watts used).
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.

Last edited by George Prentice; 10-22-2020 at 12:53 PM.