AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 12-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharp 1080 View Post
I have auditioned both before jumping in and buying the Ref 10. I owned the Ref 5SE and the dealer was bugging me to buy a Ref 6. He had all three units at the time of my decision. For me personally it was not that "close"! Others may disagree. Think about it, It's almost impossible when you factor in the separate power supply that the Ref 10 possesses. Don't get me wrong the Ref 6 is sonically better than the Ref 5SE. The Ref 6SE will definitely be a step forward. I believe some Ref 6 owners are already lining up for the upgrade?
I would defer to your opinion if you directly compared them, I did not. I read a lot of opinions

Correct, I am lined up for the upgrade, because I can't afford a Ref10!
Old 12-12-2019, 12:19 PM
Lifetime audio addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
I would defer to your opinion if you directly compared them, I did not. I read a lot of opinions

Correct, I am lined up for the upgrade, because I can't afford a Ref10!
Yes I compared all three. I even took the Ref 10 home for several days to compare against my Ref 5SE. Good for you Marc, I'm sure it will be a significant change as they always are! I couldn't afford a Ref 10 either until I found a one time deal through my dealer with Audio Research unloading their two demo factory units.
Speakers Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Cables Transparent Reference Gen 5
Equipment rack and amp stands HRS
Power conditioning Transparent
Power outlets GTX-D(G) Gold-Plated duplex receptacles dedicated 20 amp lines.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:01 PM

MAPLE GROVE, MN – December 17, 2019 – Audio Research is pleased to announce important updates to two products in its Reference series, the Reference 6 line-stage preamplifier, and the Reference 750SE mono power amplifier. Both products will begin to ship in December.

REFERENCE 6SE

A Special Edition performance update has been created for the REF6 line-stage preamplifier. The REF6SE ($17,000 USD) replaces the REF6, which has won more than a dozen international awards since its introduction in 2015, most recently, SoundStage's 2019 Product of The Year Award. The knowledge gained in the creation of ARC’s latest products has contributed to the evolutionary upgrades incorporated in the REF6SE. Shipments begin in December.

Many component and wiring upgrades create an immediate sonic impact, providing higher resolution, greater transparency, better focus, and effortless dynamics that draw the listener into the musically rich soundscape. Regardless of the system into which it is mated, the REF6SE provides exciting new insights into recordings.

The SE update will be available to current REF6 owners in late January 2020. Units in North America must be sent to Audio Research to have the update installed, and should be scheduled through service@audioresearch.com. The price is $3,000.00 USD and includes return freight in North America.
Old 12-18-2019, 11:04 PM

I wonder if I could get that $3000 for Australia. Knowing the local practice, I'd expect A$6000 for the upgrade, labor and shipping on top
Old 01-03-2020, 03:22 AM

Could this account for the number of Ref10 units that were being offloaded a few months ago on Audiogon?

I did start a thread about it here.
Old 01-15-2020, 08:23 PM

Can anyone comment on the 160S with a 5se vs Ref 6?

Thanks
Old 01-31-2020, 05:40 PM

Posted on the Audio Research website by Warren Gehl...quite an entertaining read I'm looking forward to mine being upgraded.

REF6 SE: CAPTURING MORE OF LIVE MUSIC’S NATURAL CUES

As attested to by uniformly positive reviews and customer feedback, the latest REF160 series amps (and now the REF750SEL) manifest speed, time coherence, dynamics and transparency –an overall aliveness– never before experienced in Audio Research tube amplification.

This is largely due to the superior capacitors and wire technology breakthroughs made available since the development of our last generation of amplifiers.

The newfound clarity and lack of blurring of these latest amplifiers also revealed an opportunity to improve music’s temporal coherence –timing and phase accuracy- in the preamplification that drives them, by applying the same techniques and ongoing parts refinement.

There are a total of 28 parts and wire upgrades incorporated into the REF6 SE, which has been thoroughly tested and sonically vetted for over six months prior to its release. Each of these substitutions were made specifically for their superior construction geometries, precision and dielectric material properties, working in concert to reduce energy lag and signal smearing along the entire circuit path from input to output.

REF 6SE
Experiencing the synergy of the REF6 SE driving a REF160S or REF160M monoblocks, there is an apparent liberation of the vacuum tube’s greater untapped potential—the largest single step forward in realism we have offered since the introduction of our Reference series components 25 years ago. Going forward, it is evident that fine-tuning in the time domain will yield many of the subtlest and most elusive cues of audio realism yet to come. Not coincidentally, the most convincing loudspeakers today benefits substantially from this design emphasis as well.

The pure class-A, zero-feedback, all-triode audio circuit of the REF6 SE is matched by a power supply capable of delivering all of its power-amp-like energy reserves–at all frequencies–as quickly as the dynamic requirements of the music signal dictate. The new wiring and parts are specifically tuned to accelerate the meeting of these instantaneously fluctuating temporal power demands.

What does this mean for the serious music lover? From the lowest bass to the highest harmonics, the entire high-joule power supply reserve of the REF6 SE is now on tap for lockstep bloom of each musical note’s attack, sustain, and decay to unfold in the correct sonic temporal order, without dynamic energy lagging behind the music’s rapidly shifting signal contours at any instant. Bass pitch, impact and reach now fully match the mid-to-upper frequencies’ purity, speed, and extension.

The REF6 SE exhibits an exceptionally unbounded ‘dual-mono’ soundstage envelope, extending spatial hang-time of the subtlest ambient trails and depth to a degree not previously achievable in a single-box Reference preamplifier. Speakers disappear substantially more as the apparent origin of the music, with unparalleled separation, localization and focus in all planes. Enveloping coherence binds all of these musical elements into a more thrilling sense of a seamless event unfolding before you.

The speed and transparency of the REF6 SE unravel the subtlest to most complex musical passages without low-level blurring or rounding. Vocal sibilant purity will be readily apparent and constantly appreciated. A piano becomes authentically percussive. Properly executed modern vacuum-tube technology is capable of faster pace and timing accuracy than solid-state devices under real dynamic musical conditions.

Finally, live music’s room-energizing directness, the sheer ease and density of intensity, along with the breadth and harmonic complexity of its tonal color palette, are advanced substantially beyond previous ARC product generations.

Entering our 50th year, we continue to reveal an even higher performance available in the vacuum-tube. Prepare to be swept away by a REF6 SE at your nearest Audio Research dealer. Experience Bill Johnson’s original ethos, more alive and well than ever at ARC: The music is the trophy, not the electronics.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:09 PM

Well I took the plunge. The 6SE will be delivered tomorrow. Trading in the LS28 and moving the 5SE into my second system. I am thinking (hoping) the 6SE/160S combo will be an improvement over the 5SE/160S pairing w/ the DAWs.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.
Old 03-12-2020, 03:43 PM

I will keep looking for the Ref 6 as I was looking for both it and the Ref 5SE so prices shuldo be more favorable in the near future. Coronavirus is kill my trading account..

Game Room:Vizio 75'' Quantum X ,Denon AVR X6500H 5.2,Klipsch SPL 150 Sub,Klipsch SPL 120,Klipsch RF-7III,Klipsch RP-502S

Living Room:VPI Prime Signature Rosewood,Fatboy Tonearm,Grado Statement 3,Audio Research Ref 2SE ,Audio Research REF 6 .Will Vincent Dynaco Amp[/I]
Old 03-17-2020, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjoe View Post
I will keep looking for the Ref 6 as I was looking for both it and the Ref 5SE so prices shuldo be more favorable in the near future. Coronavirus is kill my trading account..
Could not afford the Ref6 SE so I made the jump to the Ref 6 new in the box and will look at the upgrade path in the future.Of course i'm coming from the LS 26 so it will be a huge leap.

Game Room:Vizio 75'' Quantum X ,Denon AVR X6500H 5.2,Klipsch SPL 150 Sub,Klipsch SPL 120,Klipsch RF-7III,Klipsch RP-502S

Living Room:VPI Prime Signature Rosewood,Fatboy Tonearm,Grado Statement 3,Audio Research Ref 2SE ,Audio Research REF 6 .Will Vincent Dynaco Amp[/I]