AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Martin Logan

Martin Logan Panel Speakers Extraordinare

Old 05-06-2016, 08:27 PM

how big of a room do you have your Theos set up in ?
Old 05-06-2016, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
how big of a room do you have your Theos set up in ?
Currently I don't have the measurements (and I'm out of town) but the overall measurement of the room is somewhere around 7700 cubic feet (vaulted ceilings). It's a large, very poor for sound living room.

HOWEVER, the reason I'm out of town is that my house was listed on the market to sell 3 days ago and our agent is doing an Open House this weekend. Within the next 3 months, I should have a new room (and my wife is leaning towards allowing me to have a dedicated room in the new house).

The next purchases are going to be working with GIK Acoustics to properly treat whatever room I have. Then I'll get back to the electronics and speakers.

Edit: I've been looking casually for a lightly used pair of Montis which represent the biggest bang-for-buck upgrade currently over the Theos. But with the Impression coming along, I might go down that path instead.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalthien View Post
Edit: I've been looking casually for a lightly used pair of Montis which represent the biggest bang-for-buck upgrade currently over the Theos. But with the Impression coming along, I might go down that path instead.
Totally agree on the Montis, I just recently sold my Spire's and I can tell you the Spire / Montis is without question the 'sweet spot' in the Logan lineup. Given your sub integration you would have one sweet rig for sure !
Old 05-06-2016, 09:50 PM

So will the Theos and Ethos be replaced sigh a Masterpiece product?
Old 05-07-2016, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frequentflyer View Post
So will the Theos and Ethos be replaced sigh a Masterpiece product?
Potentially. What follows is entirely speculation.

I'm not entirely sure the Theos has much of a place in their current lineup and I suspect the relatively new ElectroMotion ESL-X are meant to be their replacement.

Consider that the ESL-X are only $1k less than the Theos and have a smaller area panel. Now consider that the Ethos and Theos are literally the exact same speaker with a second 8" powered woofer included in the Ethos. The panels (and let's be clear, you buy Martin Logan speakers for the panels) are identical. Ask any ML dealer and they would tell you: "There's absolutely no reason to spend $2,000 more on the Ethos when $2,000 would go a long way towards getting discrete subwoofers which are going to give you much better performance than the small powered 8" woofers in the Ethos."

If we assume that the Ethos will be replaced by something with tech from the new Masterpiece series and holds its pricing, the Theos likely disappears and moving from price point to price point within the Martin Logan line will make a lot more sense.

$2500 gets you the laughably small-paneled ElectroMotions. Awesome if you are in a small room with a singe listener--far too small otherwise.

$4000 gets you the ElectroMotion ESL-X with large enough panels to allow more than one person into the sweet spot at a somewhat accessible price point.

$7000 gets you a true, "full-sized" panel with great performance over a broad range.

...and it goes up from there into the territory with which we're already familiar.

Right now, I'd wager that their $5000 Theos cannibalizes a ton of business away from the $7000 Ethos and ML is optimizing their product line to prevent that from happening.
Old 05-27-2016, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure the Theos has much of a place in their current lineup and I suspect the relatively new ElectroMotion ESL-X are meant to be their replacement.
Quote:
Right now, I'd wager that their $5000 Theos cannibalizes a ton of business away from the $7000 Ethos and ML is optimizing their product line to prevent that from happening.
Well, it looks like I wasn't too far off.

MartinLogan® | Current Promotions | Premium HiFi Speakers for Home Theater & Stereo

Quote:
Theos speakers are now officially discontinued
Old 12-13-2016, 06:30 AM

Any comparisons across this line up, I'm looking to purchase new speakers was thinking of the new impressions with a Stage X center. I need these speakers to be a good fit for music and home theater. Additionally I have ML edges in the ceiling for my rears and 4 ML helos 22 for atmos. I have 2 REL subs
Old 12-13-2016, 04:54 PM

FWIW, the newest Stereophile has an article
Old 09-16-2017, 01:55 AM

Just from looking I kind of thought the panels were larger on the CLX vs the 15? The CLX has what appears to be 2? One curved and one flat?
Old 09-16-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timobi View Post
Just from looking I kind of thought the panels were larger on the CLX vs the 15? The CLX has what appears to be 2? One curved and one flat?
the 'flat' panel is the bass panel. The CLX is a full range electrostatic whereas the 15a is a hybrid.