AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 03-24-2015, 01:02 AM

10 hrs round trip I would not think twice, 21 is a very long long long way...
Old 03-24-2015, 02:17 AM
NOS Tube Lover

I remember weighing the costs and timelines of driving from SoCal to Oregon by myself and having to rent a large SUV or van and breaking the trip up into reasonable segments and ultimately, after some research, chose a company that went to the person's residence, boxed each speaker using a foam that was injected to conform to the speakers dimensions after it had been wrapped in plastic and then having them shipped on a pallet via an 18-wheeler moving truck to my doorstep.

I paid $1200 for the pair of 846A's and $450 for shipping. I'm glad I chose that route instead of the long trek; a lot less wear and tear on my body and the speakers arrived with no issues. The hardest part was convincing a young neighbor to help me haul them up two flights of stairs after they arrived and were unpacked in my driveway.

Best wishes on your acquisition!
Old 03-24-2015, 04:25 PM

Sorry guys, I'm not sure how to post his photo over here. He does have an inside cabinet photo up now, if anyone has a chance to take a peek. No doubt 21 hours is a truck, but it does offer piece of mind to know they will arrive safely. Frankly, I will spend close to $450 doing it myself. I figured close to $200 gas in my 6 cyl Honda Pilot, plus at least 1 Hotel night.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
Sorry guys, I'm not sure how to post his photo over here. He does have an inside cabinet photo up now, if anyone has a chance to take a peek. No doubt 21 hours is a truck, but it does offer piece of mind to know they will arrive safely. Frankly, I will spend close to $450 doing it myself. I figured close to $200 gas in my 6 cyl Honda Pilot, plus at least 1 Hotel night.
Valencias/Flamencos and Shindo are a great match. The 811b/806a is quite good, though it can sound a bit "hard" at times; the 416 is a great woofer, with a wonderful tonal richness. Having paired the Montille, Cortese, HB, and others with these Altecs, I think you'll enjoy the sound very much. They do a lot of things better than a very large portion of modern speakers.

The pair on Audiogon looks pretty clean. Seems like an earlier variant of the Valencias given the drivers and the green color. The woofer is the 16R 416-Z, which is what you want. (The later models of the Valencias went to the 8R 416-8Z, painted black). If you could get the production codes on the drivers, horn, and crossover, that would be good, just to verify things. And DCR measurements never hurt. But they look clean inside and out, so they might be a good pair to get.

The drive is a bit long, but make a trip out of it, stop by some place for some NC barbeque and a few beers, and then enjoy the magic when you get back.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:41 PM

The woofer looks correct.
Cant tell about the driver, but superficially, it looks ok.
Why cant he crack open the other one?
Old 03-25-2015, 10:49 AM

I was thinking the same thing myself. It's only a few screws. I emailed him again, expressing my willingness to go down this Thursday/Friday to pick them up. Art picked his up for $1600, which he states in his LISTENING column on the Valencia's. I have emailed him 4-5 times, and received only two responses. Communication definitely seems a bit one sided.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:56 AM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjn04 View Post
I was thinking the same thing myself. It's only a few screws. I emailed him again, expressing my willingness to go down this Thursday/Friday to pick them up. Art picked his up for $1600, which he states in his LISTENING column on the Valencia's. I have emailed him 4-5 times, and received only two responses. Communication definitely seems a bit one sided.
fjn04.......The Audiogon sale for the Altec Valencia's is a auction. No one has placed a bid on the speakers yet so I suspect there really isn't much to talk about since the seller has no idea where the auction will end up as far as who will be the high bidder and the new owner. Money talks and ......, well you know.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 03-27-2015, 10:42 PM

Picked up a pair in NYC. I will send photos, if my current AA status allows me to. I was told by some who know the Altec's, that the pair I found was in extremely nice condition. They are definitely the older version green drivers…. I can't play them now, because the speaker terminals are the original ones. Essentially, two phillips or flat head screws are used to tighten spades. If I update them, I may have an entire new backing cut, and install new connectors to the NEW backing. Then I will be keeping the original ones as is. I am also looking in to an adaptor A23 makes in order to let me use my A23 banana SC's. The adaptor mates a female banana socket with a spade lug sized up for the 846A terminals. So all I can say so far is they look damn good. Thanks for all for the help with these. Cheers -Don
Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 PM

Awesome!
And use the A23 adapters. They work perfectly.
No need to monkey around.
Also, buy the autoformer crossovers on ebay.
They take the Valencias to a level where you will question the need to own anything else.
Old 03-28-2015, 03:50 AM
NOS Tube Lover

Congratulations! Yes, those Auditorium 23 spades adapters fit those Altec screws perfectly. I think they were somewhere in the neighborhood of $40-$50 for two color coded pairs.

When I first acquired my speakers, I posted questions re. replacing those screws with more current binding posts on the Lansing Heritage site and received some good info. But thankfully, those A23 spades got the job done and I've kept them "stock".

One of the pair I acquired had a little sun damage but Matt Rotunda advised me to wipe the Altecs down with Scott's Liquid Gold Wood Cleaner & Preservative and a nice soft rag and they looked great once I did that.

Would be very interested in hearing your impressions and thoughts once you've spent some time with your new speakers.