AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Home Theater

Home Theater Novice to Sublime

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-30-2021, 06:28 PM

Default Lyngdorf MP-50/60 vs. McIntosh MX123

I've been taking a break from this hobby and had been liquidating a lot of my gear over the past few years. However, we're moving into a new house and I'll likely combine what's left of my 2-channel system with some new built-in speakers. Ivan sourced 50m of Wireworld Oasis speakers and spades for the ceiling and surrounds, which were installed during some light renovation before we move in this week.

I'll be running a 5.2.4 system and don't currently have a processor/receiver capable of Atmos. The equipment will be:
Sonus faber Guarneri Memento for L + R
Sonus faber Cremona Center (just purchased this, arriving shortly)
Sonus faber Palladio wall speakers (2) for the surround (arriving shortly)
Sonus faber Palladio ceiling speakers (4) for the Atmos (arriving shortly)
JL Audio F113 subs (2 - I actually have 3, but will only put 2 in the system)

This isn't a dedicated theater nor 2-channel space. It's a smaller family room than we're used to, which is 16' wide by 13' deep, but is completely open to the kitchen in the rear and a dining room to the right.

I'll probably get a pre-owned MC207 for the surrounds and an MC452 or MC462 to replace the one I sold. This should take care of the amplification. There's a chance I'll get a C2700 to replace my C2300 if I need analog inputs or want a dedicated 2-channel system with HT bypass. This might not be necessary if the pre/pro sounds great and I resist the temptation to dabble in vinyl.

In an ideal world, I'd keep it all McIntosh. However, I've read a lot of threads about other peoples' experiences and processors don't seem to be their strong suit. These components, in general, get obsolete quickly.

I'm not going to spend what it would take to get an MX-170. I know it's based on the Lyngdorf MP-60. I can get an MP-50 with the HDMI 2.0b upgrade or an MP-60 for about the same as an MX123. I've read all the threads and posts regarding Lyngdorf on the forum and there isn't a lot of direct experience shared. The Lyngdorf looks nice and my perception is that RoomPerfect is superior to the Audyssey for room calibration.

Both the MP-50 and MP-60 have an upgrade path to HDMI 2.1, which is nice to have. I'm still running 3 Pioneer Kuros, but will finally upgrade to a 4K OLED in this space. The point is I don't necessarily need the latest and greatest now and will get it when I have a real application for it (I don't game). My impression is that McIntosh doesn't really offer upgrades and the risk of obsolescence is higher.

Does anyone have any experience comparing or using these units? Is there any way the MX123 exceeds the performance of the MP-50/60. If not, does anyone think the MX123 is good enough to maintain the McIntosh aesthetic for this application for the near future? The Lyngdorf looks very nice and I wouldn't mind it at all to display it in the system.

Thanks in advance for entertaining all my questions.
McIntosh MX160 | McIntosh MC452 | McIntosh MC207 | Sonus faber Guarneri Memento (Graphite), Palladio PW 562 (2), Palladio PC 562 (4) | JL Audio F113 (2) | Wireworld Silver Eclipse 6 ICs & SCs, Oasis 8 SC, Silver Electra 5² PCs, Equinox 6,

Last edited by jason; 05-30-2021 at 06:30 PM.