AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Music

Music What really matters most

Old 01-19-2012, 11:36 AM
World's Oldest Audiophile

Listening to . . . . Deep Blue Organ Trio - Folk Music

The name of the album is "Folk Music" but it is solid, very well played jazz!

A jazz trio, anchored by a Hammond B-3 organ played by Chris Foreman
Bobby Broom on Guitar and Greg Rockingham on drums.

A nice sounding recording. I ordered it, unheard on Amazon a few days ago. Looking for Hammond B-3 jazz,
which I've loved since first hearing Jimmy Smith in 1963,

This recording reached #2 on the National Jazz Music Charts and stayed there for over a month.

Sound quality is O.K. but the playing is very good. I like the Deep Blue Organ Trio and this CD.

Quote:
The Deep Blue Organ Trio began officially performing under that moniker in 2000, even though Hammond B-3 organist Chris Foreman, drummer Greg Rockingham, and guitarist Bobby Broom had known each other since the '80s, playing clubs around their hometown of Chicago. Consistently crossing each others' paths, they eventually gigged around the Windy City as a unit, while individually, backing up jazz and blues legends including Hank Crawford, Albert Collins, Nat Adderley, Kenny Burrell, Charles Earland, Sonny Rollins, Miles Davis, Art Blakey, Stanley Turrentine, and Kenny Burrell.

By 2001 the trio successfully began to assert their musical mission of bringing the jazz organ trio format into the new millennium. Steeped not only in organ jazz, the trio mixes funk, soul, R&B, gospel, and spirituals into the collective mix. The Deep Blue Organ Trio released their first album on Delmark, Deep Blue Bruise in 2004. The follow up, Going to Town: Live at the Green Mill was recorded live during their weekly Tuesday nights at Chicago's Green Mill Lounge, their steady gig since 2003. A DVD of the show was released in tandem with the CD. In 2008 they released Folk Music which became very popular on jazz radio and sat at #2 on the national jazz chart for a solid month. The CD also won the group a Chicago Music Award for best jazz recording.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-19-2012, 07:28 PM
Life is beautiful

Mikkel Ploug: Equilibrium

Music from Scandinavia. (Danish/Norwegian/Belgian trio).
I attended a concert last year where they presented this CD.
Very melodical, and then again dissonant in a beautiful way. Wavering around an aerial theme and then gradually evolving into collective improvisation.
Joachim Badenhorst is a very gifted clarinet player (seen him twice live now), with a wonderful tone, and Sissel Vera Pettersen does incredible things with her voice.
This music is equally well recorded. It almost sounds better in my living room than in the no so good concert hall where I heard them.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Go Go White Sox!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehoove View Post
Fourplay - Elixer
Some call it smooth, I call it amazing musicianship!
Regards,
Jim

I was just playing this the other day. One of their better albums.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I forgot how good this album is. If you are an Oregon fan, you will definitely like this.

Egberto Gismonti, "Sol Do Meio Dia"
ECM-1-1116

Old 01-21-2012, 09:30 AM

In 1958 This was what Jazz sounded like . . .

An RCA Living Stereo Jazz LP "For Jazz Buffs"

Listening to Shorty Rogers - Chances Are It Swings

Big band sound - 50's jazz record - recorded in 1958 - now 54 years ago. The sound quality is superb.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 01-21-2012, 10:02 AM

Wink Old Timey Big Band Jazz from the 40's and 50's

I'm now playing one of the best sounding records I've ever heard (sound quality wise)

A British EMI Studio 2 Stereo Recording (like Command but better sound, I think)

Sounds of the Big Bands - Enoch Light and the Light Brigade

Recorded in 1970

EMI just seems to have gotten it right. The sound quality of their recordings is generally better than their American counterparts. I have several "duplicate" records EMI pressings and the Angel pressings and the EMI usually just sounds better.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:13 PM

Back In the early to mid 90's Audioquest put out some fine recordings produced by Joe Harley on vinyl and cd.
Les Arbuckle tenor saxophonist recorded two albums on the label No More, No Less & The Bush Crew.
Both are great. I'm listening to the The Bush Crew on cd.

I'm fortunate to also have the vinyl copy. If you can still find the vinyl pressing it will be expensive, but worth it.
The sound on this recording is great, but it's the playing of Les Arbuckle on tenor and Mike Stern & John Abercrombie on guitar that make this recording worth giving a listen. The rhythm section is not bad either with Victor Lewis on drums and Essiet Okon Essiet filling it out on Bass

Label: Audioquest
CD1032
Old 01-21-2012, 01:40 PM

Default A jazz LP from the Best of the Best on TAS/HP Super LP List

Listening to . . . For Duke

An M&K Realtime Direct to Disc LP Recording - Recorded in January 1978

Bill Berry and his Ellington All-Stars

Bill Berry - Cornet
Ray Brown - Bass
Frankie Capp - Drums
Nat Pierce - Tenor Sax
Marshal Royal - Alto Sax
Britt Woodman - Trombone

This is one of the most well recorded LP's in the history of LP's. (and that is not just my opinion) Sound Quality is a solid 10 of 10 and the performance is not far behind. A GREAT album.

Old 01-22-2012, 09:50 AM
Life is beautiful

Delicious, both of them together.
And a real bargain too (less than 2£ on Amazon).
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 01-22-2012, 11:21 AM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bart View Post

Delicious, both of them together.
And a real bargain too (less than 2£ on Amazon).
re: Ella and Louis

Analogue productions/Quality record pressings is reissuing the original two Verve albums in 200 gr 45 RPM vinyl remastered from the original analog tapes. The first one, "Ella and Louis" is out and sounds fantastic! The second, "Ella and Louis Again" is on the list but hasn't yet been scheduled for release. Looking forward to getting it.

In all, the project of 25 Verve reissues includes 5 Ella albums. I think it's a bit too heavily balanced towards Ella, but they do sound great.