AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillone View Post
No, IMHO they will not sound the same, but they will sound similar.
OUCH!!! That shouldn't be the case! If you think about the flac/mp3 file is a packet of info. The "Product A" transfers the data via SPDIF to a D/A converter.
Whether an internal hard drive or along a ethernet cable is just data!? Unless I'm way off base on this line of thinking. Jim you had/have a Sonos did you do a A to B check on a flac/mp3 file? I want to return my original thought. You pay for features NOT sound reproduction..... I'd be PISSED if this is another variable in music reproduction.

Thanks again all for you insights
Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 02-17-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacsno View Post
OUCH!!! That shouldn't be the case! If you think about the flac/mp3 file is a packet of info. The "Product A" transfers the data via SPDIF to a D/A converter.
Whether an internal hard drive or along a ethernet cable is just data!? Unless I'm way off base on this line of thinking. Jim you had/have a Sonos did you do a A to B check on a flac/mp3 file? I want to return my original thought. You pay for features NOT sound reproduction..... I'd be PISSED if this is another variable in music reproduction.

Ken
It's how you store the packets and how you deliver them to the outputs before the DAC;s see them that matters too.

Read my comments on the Olive compared to the MS-300 and MCD-500.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
It's how you store the packets and how you deliver them to the outputs before the DAC;s see them that matters too.

Read my comments on the Olive compared to the MS-300 and MCD-500.
(Last question from that thread) How does the Sonos playing through the MCD500 compare to the Olive in that configuration? Yes.. Olive would have to behave like Sonos and access a server.

This is the BIG one I'd like to know for flac/MP3 files!

Ken
Sonus Faber Cremona, (2) JL Audio F110 subs, Squeeze Server v7.9 Windows 2012 Server 25TB, Audio Metallurgy GA-0 XLR & RCA, Wireworld Silver Eclipse speaker cable, PS Audio Power Plant Premier (2), WireWorld Silver Power Cables, Tascam DA3000
Old 02-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
(Last question from that thread) How does the Sonos playing through the MCD500 compare to the Olive in that configuration? Yes.. Olive would have to behave like Sonos and access a server.

This is the BIG one I'd like to know for flac/MP3 files!

Ken
I did not run the Olive 4HD thru the 500's DAC's, nor did I run the MS-300 thru the Olive's DAC's. The DAC's in the both are very good and the two units sound similar enough where I will keep both in my system. The MS-300 for everyday listening in the 2- channel room and to store music to be accessed by the SonoS to distribute to the whole house system. I will use the Olive for Hi-Rez downloads or other high quality downloads that cannot be put on the MS-300.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:46 AM

Jim,

I took a slow stroll around Adelphi and try piecing together an affordable system.

1. Found the Olive 4HD you mention although I am not sure I know how to work it.
2. The same shop sell the Oppo 83se (S$1.6k).
3. Heard the Thiel CS3.7 and am really impressed. Notwithstanding, they added 2 SS2 subs and presto, everything seem to take on another level!
4. The dealer uses the Bel Canto amps, which though cute, is not up to the mark. The Lamms are more like it, but seemingly would drove "affordability" out of range.

Know what, there is a NEW shop (behind the one that sells JM Lab Maestro) and know what, they sell the MOST EXPENSIVE setup I have ever seen (apart from Rons Ref Extreme Combo). The Magico M5 + Soulution Amps/gears!!! They are shut for the day as its still CNY season!

Promise myself that I will step in there to savour this combo!

You planning to come over here again? I sure would love to go window shopping with you on this combo! Although I know for sure, I can never afford them! Well, at least, I get to hear them, I hope.

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Jim,

I took a slow stroll around Adelphi and try piecing together an affordable system.

1. Found the Olive 4HD you mention although I am not sure I know how to work it.
3. Heard the Thiel CS3.7 and am really impressed. Notwithstanding, they added 2 SS2 subs and presto, everything seem to take on another level!
4. The dealer uses the Bel Canto amps, which though cute, is not up to the mark. The Lamms are more like it, but seemingly would drove "affordability" out of range.

Know what, there is a NEW shop (behind the one that sells JM Lab Maestro) and know what, they sell the MOST EXPENSIVE setup I have ever seen (apart from Rons Ref Extreme Combo). The Magico M5 + Soulution Amps/gears!!! They are shut for the day as its still CNY season!

You planning to come over here again? I sure would love to go window shopping with you on this combo! Although I know for sure, I can never afford them! Well, at least, I get to hear them, I hope.

Cheers!
Jerry
Thanks for the update. I would like to hear the Solutions pushing some nice speakers like Magico's. I don't think I would ever go with the 5's, but I might like to hear the new Q series.

The Olive is pretty easy to use to get downloads off the net. Download to your laptop, then drag and drop to the Olive. The interface is not the best but the sound is good.

There are a lot of options on affordable systems. Half the fun is looking and listening.

I have been considering either going with the new 111f's or a pair of the 101e's (non VII). How did the 111f's sound at Ron's place?

Not sure if I will be back there for a bit. Always looking for a reason.
Jim
Old 02-18-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Jerry
Thanks for the update. I would like to hear the Solutions pushing some nice speakers like Magico's. I don't think I would ever go with the 5's, but I might like to hear the new Q series.

The Olive is pretty easy to use to get downloads off the net. Download to your laptop, then drag and drop to the Olive. The interface is not the best but the sound is good.

There are a lot of options on affordable systems. Half the fun is looking and listening.

I have been considering either going with the new 111f's or a pair of the 101e's (non VII). How did the 111f's sound at Ron's place?

Not sure if I will be back there for a bit. Always looking for a reason.
Jim
Hi Jim,

I sure would love to have you over here again. This time, we try something INDIAN! Northern, if you prefer the not so spicy type!

The shop only have the Magico 5, only ONE pair of speakers. Thats it! Probably the Q series would have to wait a little longer.

As for the MBL111F, they do sound great. In fact, all of Ron's 101E MkII were sold out. So, in that "Reference Room", everything's the same EXCEPT that they are now pushing the 111F's and seriously, they do sound good!

If I am new into this hobby, this would be one pair of speakers I would seriously consider. After all, the difference, on paper is only 4Hz, and thats at the bass end. Of course, in reality, the midrange/midbass? differ as the 101E MkII are of the "football type" while the 111F's is the rather conventional cone type!

Well, make some excuse and surely you will be in the way here.

Take care and always looking forward to your next visit.

Cheers!
Old 02-18-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSCC View Post
Jim,

Cheers!
Jerry...I have the Thiel 2.4s and I have heard the 3.7s quite a few times and I can vouch for how good they are. If you are a bass hound you can complement them with 2 SS2 subs and they will offer superior sound bar none. They do need lots of high quality power (as do my 2.4s which are actually a more difficult load) so the Lamms while super high quality will be at the bear minimum if you are considering the M1.2s. The M2.2s will be better but from everything I hear they do not have the Class A sound that is so sought after in the M1.2. So I would say you would need to consider another amp to drive them if you are considering them. Cheers and enjoy the rebuild process. Like Jim said, half the fun is auditioning different products and putting together a synergistic system together. Good luck
Old 02-18-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Ken
Blacsno...the other part of the answer to your question is not only the file format (mp3, FLAC, AIFF, etc...) which obviously represents files of differing resolution but also the jitter associated with each transport and the DAC's ability to reject or correct for jitter. Jitter has to do with timing errors in how those 0s and 1s are delivered and received/processed by the DAC. So it is not that the 0s and 1s are different among didfferent players but that their jitter characteristic translates into data error in the time domain. Depending on your DAC's ability to reclock the data and adjust for jitter, different transports will have just that bit of difference in sonics because of their associated jitter characteristics.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmalak View Post
Blacsno...the other part of the answer to your question is not only the file format (mp3, FLAC, AIFF, etc...) which obviously represents files of differing resolution but also the jitter associated with each transport and the DAC's ability to reject or correct for jitter. Jitter has to do with timing errors in how those 0s and 1s are delivered and received/processed by the DAC. So it is not that the 0s and 1s are different among didfferent players but that their jitter characteristic translates into data error in the time domain. Depending on your DAC's ability to reclock the data and adjust for jitter, different transports will have just that bit of difference in sonics because of their associated jitter characteristics.
Cyril
Good explanation!!

jim