Old 09-30-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post

Great room Jax!
Old 09-30-2012, 04:42 PM
musiclovingearenthusiast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
Don't knock the Octave stuff until you tried it. It is pretty awesome. I very nearly stopped going down the Naim path when I heard the V40SE.
Not knocking it certainly; as I said, I hear good things. It's just not where my head is at right now, with regard to my system. Like if I suggested you try a Weiss 202 instead of your Clearaudio deck

Of course, if I could find someone willing to let me try it risk-free for a year...
Old 09-30-2012, 05:31 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDLehner View Post
Not knocking it certainly; as I said, I hear good things. It's just not where my head is at right now, with regard to my system. Like if I suggested you try a Weiss 202 instead of your Clearaudio deck
Bite your tongue!
Old 09-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I've recently finished a complete overhaul of my listening room, removing everything that doesn't belong (like office desk) and rearranging everything for optimal use of the space as a listening room. We are extremely pleased with the results, and it is like getting a major equipment upgrade. The sound is fuller, more open and expansive, and the soundstage is much broader and deeper. I've never enjoyed listening to music so much as I do now.

This room is about 11 x 17. The Dyns are about 28" in front of the records, so I do have enough space to keep the ports from producing muddy bass. Ideally the right speaker would be farther away from the wall (it's 22" wall to middle of front baffle), but that's about the best I can do.

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 09-30-2012 at 05:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:20 PM

Looks good Dean! What a terrific place to listen to music from. I love that rack of Naim gear, but a subwoofer, blasphemy!
Old 09-30-2012, 06:24 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Looks good Dean! What a terrific place to listen to music from. I love that rack of Naim gear, but a subwoofer, blasphemy!
The REL T-7 sub works great with the Dyns. I cross them over very low (30 Hz) and get some nice and seamless bass extension. You can't tell it's there...until you turn it off. It really make a nice improvement for classical music. When I upgraded from the S1.4s to S3.4s I thought about getting rid of the sub and didn't even have it connected for the first week. After I connected it and got it dialed in for bass extension I couldn't let it go.

Stephen uses one (a REL 318 I think) with his S3.4s too, for the very same reason.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM

Dean, I'm just razzing you! There's nothing like a sub to give a little extra body to the sound. Man, every time I see that Ovation of yours I start to drool... That is one beautiful TT! Jog my memory and tell me what model Rega it replaced would you?
Old 09-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerman View Post
Dean, I'm just razzing you! There's nothing like a sub to give a little extra body to the sound. Man, every time I see that Ovation of yours I start to drool... That is one beautiful TT! Jog my memory and tell me what model Rega it replaced would you?
I had a Rega RP3/TTPSU with a Dynavector 20x2H, and Moon 110LP phonostage.

Going to the Ovation, etc. is the bigegst jump in performance I have ever experienced in a system, more so than the upgrade from S1.4 to S3.4 Dyns.

I still drool on myself when I walk up to my Ovation with a record to play.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxwired View Post
Yes, I still have the NAD. I currently have two systems. Both of them are running my Focus 340s. I have the M2 which is powerful and rich sounding. And then I have a sweet little setup that involves a benchmark DAC1 into a placette RVC into a musical fidelity A3cr amp. That system has jaw dropping transparency. I like both flavors alot.

The Focus 340s are great. I really loved the PMC OB1i's I had before the Dynaudios, but I never like the aesthetics. The 340s look awesome in white and have the modern vibe I wanted while sounding great too. Overall, I'm very happy with the 340s.
That is great to hear. What a sweet room/setup. I tend to favor the simpler rooms with a clean setup, such as yours. The white Dyn's also look gorgeous. I, too, favor them over the less modern looking speakers.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceTripper View Post
I've recently finished a complete overhaul of my listening room, removing everything that doesn't belong (like office desk) and rearranging everything for optimal use of the space as a listening room. We are extremely pleased with the results, and it is like getting a major equipment upgrade. The sound is fuller, more open and expansive, and the soundstage is much broader and deeper. I've never enjoyed listening to music so much as I do now.

This room is about 11 x 17. The Dyns are about 28" in front of the records, so I do have enough space to keep the ports from producing muddy bass. Ideally the right speaker would be farther away from the wall (it's 22" wall to middle of front baffle), but that's about the best I can do.
Dean, fabulous looking room. Love the new look with the upgraded TT and towers. Glad to hear your are falling even more in love with listening. Great news!