AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 05-16-2022, 10:03 PM

Fred, that was just great. I really enjoyed it. The 1502 is truly beautiful.

Best

Charles
Old 05-17-2022, 11:53 AM

My platform is 19” x 21” and table is 24” x 24”.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Fred, that was just great. I really enjoyed it. The 1502 is truly beautiful.

Best

Charles
Thanks Charles. Seems like I've comingled a little of my own blood with this amp right out of the box.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 05-17-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miner View Post
My platform is 19” x 21” and table is 24” x 24”.
The amp will take up just about all of that, but it looks like you have it covered well.
McIntosh MA8000; McIntosh MC1502; Canton Vento Reference 1 DC; E.A.T. E-Flat; Soundsmith Paua Mk II; Technics SL 1210 MK5; Audio Technica AT-150 MLX; Tascam BR-20; Teac X1000R; Pioneer RT-707; Oppo UDP 205; Denon DCD A-100; HP All-In-One Touchscreen Server; JRiver MC 28; Woo Audio WA6; Shure SRH 1840; SVS SB 1000; Jolida 502BRC; Jolida JD9; VPI 16.5 RCM; Wireworld Oasis 8 Speaker Cables; Audoquest Columbia 72 DBS IC's; Panamax PM-5400 (source components only)
Old 05-17-2022, 09:03 PM

Freddie, Got to ask - who helped you lift the amp onto you stand since it was not shown on the clip?
Old 05-17-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Freddie, Got to ask - who helped you lift the amp onto you stand since it was not shown on the clip?
No one. That video (blood and all) was me flying solo on it. Only had my wife behind the camera and didn't want her hurting herself trying to help me.

The only thing she did was hold the Monolith in place (hence no video) while I got the front end up onto it and then got behind the transformer end and grunted and cursed until it was all on. This is not something I ever want to repeat I can tell you that.

The amp is significantly heavier than the MA8000, which is a heavy amp in its own right, but the awkward weight distribution makes handling it a bona fide b!tch.

Hopefully when yours arrives your dealer will handle the unboxing and setup duties.

Last edited by FreddieFerric; 05-17-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 09:52 AM

Thank you Freddie. Yes, will be dealer-delivered and set up. By then I should have my table delivered. It is about 30” high (think nightstand) so the two delivery men will position for me. They will be taking my MC275MkVI away then. Looking forward to you assessment of the stock tubes. BTW, if you have a need for another stand mine is espresso in color. Only cost to you would be shipping but buying a new one may be cheaper. I think I paid $49 for it shipped.
Old 05-18-2022, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you Freddie. Yes, will be dealer-delivered and set up. By then I should have my table delivered. It is about 30” high (think nightstand) so the two delivery men will position for me. They will be taking my MC275MkVI away then. Looking forward to you assessment of the stock tubes. BTW, if you have a need for another stand mine is espresso in color. Only cost to you would be shipping but buying a new one may be cheaper. I think I paid $49 for it shipped.
Having nothing but the stock tubes to listen to I can't compare them to anything else. I've never owned GL's either NOS or current stock.

Notwithstanding, I have listened to plenty of tube gear in my life and I think this amp with its stock tubes is just sublime.

I can't fawn over the amp with all the fine audiophile superlatives. I'll just say I love this sound. It's engaging and draws you into the music. I can listen to it for hours without fatigue. It plays with great coherence and composure throughout its power band and exhibits an authoritative grip on the Canton's. Whether other tubes would make it better, well maybe. Then again, they could make it worse.

When yours finally arrives, you'll see.

I have zero desire to get into tube rolling now or in the future. I think you're going to really like what gets delivered. However long that might take...
Old 05-18-2022, 10:15 PM

Freddie, I am so happy you are achieving excellent results with the 8 ohm tap. I think your sound will only become better as the amp breaks in. No other tube amp can match Mac bass. IMO. It's something about the Mac circuit, I think.

Best

Charles
Old 05-20-2022, 08:41 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddieFerric View Post
Finally got a short YouTube vid of the unboxing. Please try not too laugh too hard, I'm a rank amateur

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45O7hd-A5A4
No laughing here. The first time I pulled my 501s out of the rack for dusting I was caught off guard by the weight distribution, and like you, struggled with moving them. Hope you're okay and enjoying the 1502 in good health. Thanks for the video. Wearing the back support was a good idea, as would be tensing/flexing your abs to help stabilize things when (if) you lift or move the amp again.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks