AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:09 PM

Question Phono Pre RCA Cabling Question

I am interested in insight/opinions on what cable characteristics and brands I should consider for my first standalone phono preamp for my RCA connections from the phono preamp to my preamp.

I will be using my current TT (Yamaha PX-3), AT-ML150/OCC cartridge, Ray Samuels F-117 phono preamp, and McIntosh MX-135 A/V preamp.

I will be able to position the F-117 so I can keep the cable length to 1M.

Thanks.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:35 PM
World's Oldest Audiophile

It usually makes sense to use cables from the same manufacturer throughout your system.

You wil have a cable from the turntable to the phono pre, a cable from the phono pre to your preamp and still another cable from the preamp to the amp, and then another set of cables - your speaker wires - from the amp to your speakers.

The cable from your phono preamp to the preamp will be carrying a high level signal (as opposed to the low level signal from the TT to the phono pre) and will not require any special characteristics (often cable manufacturers will make the turntable cables specifically for that duty)

There are a lot of "good" cable manufacturers to choose from and I would recommend that you consider using similar cables throughout.

I have a record player and a cd player and some other stuff that sounds pretty good.

MAIN SYSTEM: . . . Audio Physic Caldera III Loudspeakers, Spectral DMC 30SL Preamp, Spectral DMA 250 Amp, Spectral/MIT interconnects and speaker cable, Basis Debut V Vacuum turntable, Walker Precision Speed Controller, Graham tonearm, [B]Koetsu Rosewood or Grado Statement 1 Cartridges, PASS - X-ono Phono Stage, Esoteric K03 CD/SACD Player, Lexicon RT-20 Universal Player, Exact Power EP-15A & SP-15A power regeneration and conditioning devices. Symposium Acoustics Svelte pads & RollerBlock Jr's under speakers. ASC Tube Traps, Arcici Suspense Rack System, OPPO and Cambridge Streaming Devices.

DOWNSTAIRS SYSTEM: . . . Sonus Faber Guarneri Memento Speakers, JL Audio F112 Sub, McIntosh MA7000 Integrated Amp, McIntosh MVP871 Universal Disc Player, OPPO BDP-105 Blu-Ray Player, VPI Scoutmaster with periphery ring clamp, VPI SDS Motor Drive, Koetsu Pro IV, or Clearaudio Discovery Cartridges, Mark Levinson No. 25s phono stage, Wadia 170i Transport with a Meridian Bitstream 203 DAC, VPI HW-17 Pro Record Cleaning Machine, Five Richard Gray RGPC 400 devices scattered around the two systems, Arcici Suspense Rack System, Discovery Essence and Essential Cables, 14,000 ± LPs .
Old 04-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Retired

Can you go 0.5M between the F-117 and MX135? Shorter is almost always better (and marginally less expensive).

Also, if you have the ability, changing out the IC from your PX-3 to the F-117 will be a nice upgrade. IIRC. the TA wires in the PX-3 go to a small board inside the PX-3, so simple enough to change. With MM cartridges, getting the capacitance (total of the IC capacitance and phono preamp capacitance setting) down to the 100-200 range will generally smooth out their tipped-up highs.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-05-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsmart View Post
I am interested in insight/opinions on what cable characteristics and brands I should consider for my first standalone phono preamp for my RCA connections from the phono preamp to my preamp.

I will be using my current TT (Yamaha PX-3), AT-ML150/OCC cartridge, Ray Samuels F-117 phono preamp, and McIntosh MX-135 A/V preamp.

I will be able to position the F-117 so I can keep the cable length to 1M.

Thanks.
I was quite impressed when I installed Cardas Neutral Reference between my Sutherland PhD phono pre to my ARC linestage.
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Can you go 0.5M between the F-117 and MX135? Shorter is almost always better (and marginally less expensive).
I will look into this further. I suspect it will come down to access to the power adapter connector for the F-117.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Also, if you have the ability, changing out the IC from your PX-3 to the F-117 will be a nice upgrade. IIRC. the TA wires in the PX-3 go to a small board inside the PX-3, so simple enough to change. With MM cartridges, getting the capacitance (total of the IC capacitance and phono preamp capacitance setting) down to the 100-200 range will generally smooth out their tipped-up highs.
I have the ability and was considering the same. I will have to see what IC options exist here - i.e., does anyone market ICs with one end unterminated and the other terminated (RCA).

Any idea if replacing the TA wires will realize and tangible gains? If yes, any insight in to how major this work might be?
Old 04-05-2011, 07:37 PM
Retired

Most any of the cable manufacturers will sell you their phono cable without the DIN connector. Just contact them and ask. Also, Dan points out some of the advantages of the proper cable in this thread:
http://audioaficionado.org/phono-pre...ono-cable.html
The Kimber phono-ICs also have <50pf/m capacitance.

On the PX-3, is quite simple (have had both the PX-3 and PX-2). The wires from the tonearm terminate at a small board and the phono IC is soldered to the same board. Just wick the solder off the IC leads and install the new one in its place. You will need to flip the PX-3 on its back to do so, but is a whole lot lighter and easy to do than is the PX-2. Make sure you remove the platter and anything else that is loose, first. It rests nicely on its dustcover. Use a twist-tie to tie the arm to the rest, as well. It can go sliding across if you don't. If you have any detailed questions, etc., send me a PM. Am guessing you can download the manuals from the VE (once I send them in).
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 04-08-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
I was quite impressed when I installed Cardas Neutral Reference between my Sutherland PhD phono pre to my ARC linestage.
Thank you for the Cardas product recommendation.