AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Turntables & Vinyl > Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges

Phono-Pre Amps & Cartridges Welcome to the Dark Side!

Old 02-19-2011, 12:10 AM

Default Shelter 501 Cartridge

Those of you with this cartridge how do you like it ?
Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 AM
Merry Christmas to all

David.......I don't own the Shelter 501 II, but I would like to.

Here's what The Absolute Sound had to say about the 501: Shelter cartridges…have been generating Internet “buzz” as price to performance leaders for well over a year. Let me come right out and say it: The Shelter 501 MK II is the best sub-$1000 cartridge I’ve yet heard. This cartridge has treble air without brightness, transient speed without overshoot, definition without edginess, focus without sterility, and bass weight without any thick or syrupy coloration.

Here's what Stereophile had to say: One step up the Shelter line from the 301, the 501 MK.II ups the 301's output to 0.4mV and adds a 0.3 mil x 0.7 mil nude elliptical diamond stylus. Nearly identical to the $2,650 Crown Jewel SE, which Mikey once owned the 501 MK.II exhibited all of the CJ's sonic characteristics: a warm overall tonal balance with smooth high-frequency extension and solid, authoritative bass response, all completely free of grain and glare. "I recommend the Shelter 501 MK.II without hesitation.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 02-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Cool, calm scientist

I own one and both of the references that Dan has cited sums it up very accurately, IMO.

I know that Tonepub is very fond of this cartridge as well.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:46 PM
Old & New - Carpe Diem

Another addition to the list! :^)
Regards,
Jim
Old 02-19-2011, 11:48 PM

Buy it.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:13 AM

Pm me if you want one...
Old 03-05-2011, 01:22 PM

I just had one installed on my VPI Aries. Used a Grado before it. I find it to be extremely neutral. The Grado sounded muddy in comparison. Just my two cents..
Old 03-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestige Worldwide View Post
I just had one installed on my VPI Aries. Used a Grado before it. I find it to be extremely neutral. The Grado sounded muddy in comparison. Just my two cents..
I can't speak to it on a VPI, but on a Michell it has a warmish quality. It also sounded fantastic on Tonepub's P9.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-07-2011, 05:29 PM

I have heard the Shelter has a wonderful midrange but does not have great bass or extended high's ? Can you feel the bass and do you have amazing imaging and details in the high's on this cartridge? The reason I am asking is because I may still pick up one but I don't want to be disappointed if it does not sound as good as my Dynavector . I listen to a lot of rock music and some jazz. If it is going to sound better than the Dynavector then I'll pick one up.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:08 PM

Interesting your already looking for another cartridge Is there something your missing? IMO the cartridge suspension needs time to loosen up so it can show its true colors....

Why not live with the Dyna for a month or two, get to know its pros and cons, try different VTA/VTF settings and loading. Its sound will be a bit different a 100 hours down the road. I would also see if you can barrow a phono stage from your dealer, IMO that would be better money spent.....Congrats on the new set up!

I would have to disagree that the Shelter doesn't have great bass or extended high's.......The Shelters are somewhat fast with a nice punchy bottom end, they play clean and have nice open airy highs. For the Money there as good as anything at that price point.

Last edited by Removed; 03-08-2011 at 02:02 AM.