AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > McIntosh Audio

McIntosh Audio A Tradition of Excellence

Old 02-10-2023, 12:44 PM

Josh, that timing is not right. You can always reach out to Mc directly and ask about your order. They will just need to know your dealer and date order was placed.
Old 02-10-2023, 02:39 PM

Yeah I’m thinking that also….. Thanks
Sonus Faber Amati Faturas / JL Audio 13.5” Fanthom In Wall Subs / McIntosh C52 / McIntosh MCD 1100 / McIntosh MEN 220 / McIntosh MC 601’s / McIntosh MPC 1500 / McIntosh MT 5 / McIntosh MC 275’s / Luxman AS-55 Amp Selector / Silenzo (This thing is Amazing) / Gold Lion Tubes from Vintage Tube

All items in green were bought thru the AA marketplace and blue from a current AA retailer
Old 02-10-2023, 07:31 PM

Default Macintosh Current Tube Amp Mc 275mk6C

Current Mac Tube Or Solid State Amps Are Not As Musical The Mc225,Mc30,60's,240 and 275 Tube
Solid State Mc2505, 2205 and the Mc230
All With New Parts
Old 02-10-2023, 10:43 PM

Congratulations Sailorman!

Tube System: PS Audio Dectet - McIntosh MR88 - Innous ZenMini - Chord Qutest - WireWorld Eclipse 8 Cables - McIntosh C22V & MC275 - Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - Stillpoints & IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Old 02-11-2023, 12:57 AM

Thank you. Today I wired up an hour meter and connected it to the 12 volt trigger on my MC275. Now I will be able to monitor how many hours are on my tubes.
Old 02-11-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubes2023 View Post
Current Mac Tube Or Solid State Amps Are Not As Musical The Mc225,Mc30,60's,240 and 275 Tube
All With New Parts
tubes, there's a MC3500 at Audio Classics for 15K but apparently only one of them. I owned a MC225, MC240, MC275, and two MC75 mono's in their original condition, no new parts. They were and are wonderful amps.

When one compares the original MC3500 in superb condition to the new 3500, I think the important thing to remember is that the basic circuit is similar. This is not true for a 2301. I am sure that all the modern Mac tube amps contain transistors, whereas the vintage Mac amps don't. However, I'm not sure of the sonic difference this assumption makes. The original 3500 comes with a fan, has no balanced inputs, and the binding posts are greatly inferior to the current Mac binding posts. I don't like fans. The current 3500 does not require a fan and runs cool. The power is identical, about 500 watts.

As far as sonics are concerned, I have never heard an original 3500. The new 3500 is the best sounding amp I have heard. Before I said the original was more musical, I would have to connect it my XVX. The new 3500 does not sound romantic, rolled off, or recessed to correct the deficiencies of a speaker with a harsh mid, too bright highs, and lean bass. Many own speakers that posses to some degree one or all these qualities and desire in a tube amp to mitigate these deficiencies.

I hear what you are saying concerning the original Mac tube amps, but you must be careful about your definition of "more musical". Getting the midrange right (correctly balanced) is extremely difficult. An excellent non Mac tube amp will have a midrange "bloom" and rounder bass than a Mac tube amp. The vintage Mac tube amps may have more of this quality, I don't know.

However, I can absolutely say that the new 3500 has a big slice of the original Mac tube sound. The overall presentation is slightly less bright than today's Mac solid state and yet there is no penalty in terms of other sonic qualities. If you have ever heard Mac vintage tubes you know what I mean. I have never heard an amp with the pace, rhythm, and sense of raw power of the 3500. The soundstage is amazingly 3D and the detail and resolution are superior to my 1.25KW driving my XVX. The new 3500 is simply quicker than my 1.25KW's and cut from a different piece of sonic cloth which is the same piece I heard as a youth for many years.

Is the original more musical? I don't know. Both are superb. Are the original tube amps you listed more musical than their current counterparts? That's a tough question, because the current amps may have slightly more resolution and detail. I think with current Mac tube amps you get a large slice of the original Mac tube sound. I think I would go with the current models because of much better binding posts and balanced inputs. However, if you absolutely want the original Mac tube sound which IMO is the best on the planet, the original tube amps are the gold standard for the original Mac sound.

Best

Charles

p.s. I'm a roller skater at heart. I honestly feel I must have been born with a pair of skates on. However, my medical career and other responsibilities made it impossible to skate. Now I have installed my own rink. I love skate music. Loud. You have never heard Abba until you hear it through a 3500/XVX at 80% volume. It's incredible. Almost ever time I skate I learn something new.

Charles Updated System: Wilson McIntosh Audioquest

Amps: McIntosh: MC3500MKII (2); MC1.25KW (2); MC2.1KW An (1)
Preamp: C-12000 An
Sources: MCD12000 An; MVP881; MVP851; MR87; Marantz 510LV; ASUS laptop
Speakers: Wilson Chronosonic XVX
Sub-woofer: Wilson Thor’s Hammer; Wilson ActivXO Stereo Electronic Crossover
Cables main system: AQ: WEL Signature speaker cables; 24’ balanced IC; balanced 1-meter Dragon IC ; WEL Signature digital coaxial cable; digital coaxial cable; Diamond optical (2); Diamond USB; Dragon power cords (5 HC cords and 3 source cords); Thunder HC power cord
Cables subwoofer system: AQ: Redwood speaker cable; Wolf balanced subwoofer IC; Wind balanced IC from preamp to ActivXO; Hurricane HC (3); Hurricane Source (1); Dragon HC (1) power cords
Power conditioners: AQ Niagara 7000 (1); Niagara 5000 (3); (4) dedicated 20-amp lines.
Isolation: Wilson Pedestals; Bassocontinuo McIntosh Ultra Feet; X-material plinth
Cabinet: Double Custom Woodwork & Design (CWD)
Acoustic Treatments: Room and Echo Tunes

Last edited by Charles; 02-11-2023 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2023, 08:10 PM

I am considering going to the C2700 in my system. Its not that I need it, I just want it. My C2600 is the oldest unit i own. It is worth more than what I paid for it several years ago.
My System: Amp-McIntosh MC611(2) :Pre-McIntosh C2700, MP1100 :CD/SACD-McIntosh MCD600 :Speakers-McIntosh XR100 :Power Controller-McIntosh MPC1500 :Turntable-VPI HW40 Ortofon Cadenza Black :Cables-Morrow PH5,MA5 and Elite Speaker Cables :Headphones-McIntosh MPH1000 :Record Cleaner Klaudio KD-CLN-LP200T
Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-11-2023, 08:35 PM

Fbj, if you were to go with the c2700, what amp would you pair it with? I am thinking about the C53.

Does anyone have any experience running arc out of their tv via HDMI to the DA2 and comparing it to optical?

McIntosh states that it provided better sound and wondered about others' experiences.

Tube System: PS Audio Dectet - McIntosh MR88 - Innous ZenMini - Chord Qutest - WireWorld Eclipse 8 Cables - McIntosh C22V & MC275 - Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor - Stillpoints & IsoAcoustics Gaia III
Old 02-12-2023, 01:24 PM

I have my Sony 85" TV running HDMI to my C53 DA2 module. It's fine for making the TV a source for the C53. I have not tried the optical input. For the sake of convenience, the C53 and TV "talk" to each other. I don't think I would get that through optical.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:26 PM

Default The Gut Feeling Of Music

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubes2023 View Post
All With New Parts
Detail and Resolution Yes
List To These Artist
1 Frank Sinatra Sings For Only The Only
2 Today And Now Coleman Hawkins Quartet
3 Ella Fitzgerald Clap Hands Here Comes Charlie
4 Mile Davis Kind Of Blue
At Night At 70db And Get Back To Me