AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > What are you Grilling?

What are you Grilling? What's Cooking

Old 02-24-2019, 12:46 PM

The best meal I've ever had in my life was beef bourguignon (burgundy) on the Champs-Élysées in Paris.

I wish I could get a meal like that around here.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:04 PM

I like magret...

But my favorite is a big duck leg confit deep fried in duck fat so it's crispy all over ...

also goose braised w sauerkraut, salt pork and sausages (choucroute)

or a nice roast goose

But I have fond memories of a ridiculously priced chicken (40e raw from Hugo Desnoyer boucherie) roasted in our rented apartment in the 5th.

Maybe time to go back. Drove to Narbonne from BCN last xmas. Good market, sold winter truffles also at 1k/kg. Had oysters and whelks and a nice white. Brought home a bunch of cheeses and a fantastic creme fraiche they sold from a big ceramic tub
Old 02-25-2019, 09:01 PM
Retired

Forgot about this thread. We had a couple of meals at the La Petite Périgourdine where the grandkids enjoyed both the beef and the 'show'. The meat was brought to one's table on the butcher block (on its own roll-around stand) and cut to one's order before prep. I'll take pic's next time.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Olivia @peri1.JPG (130.3 KB, 108 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 02-26-2019, 09:50 AM

Aligot?

Good cheese/pizza is the hardest thing for me to say no to (i subscribe to the dairy is bad for you religion). I still eat and really like cheese (including the smelly ones) but smaller amounts less often.
Old 02-26-2019, 08:33 PM
Retired

Yes.......... aligot. Kids enjoyed but not something I would order. We took them to Paris for Thanksgiving week.

We spent several weeks in the south last May/June, including Carcassonne, where we stayed in the old city and enjoyed cassoulet for a couple of meals. This was the better of the two, with the required duck-leg and chorizo. It was delicious.

Headed to Nice next week and will take in the last two stages of the Paris-Nice race. Hoping for good 'watching weather'. Doubt that we will look for either steaks or cassoulet.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cassoulet.jpg (176.9 KB, 91 views)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-26-2019 at 08:36 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:00 PM

Please Glenn don't forget Mirazur if you get a chance to book, it's a 3 Michelin star one and Argie chef, Mauro Colagreco really, really has his own interpretation of what deep, profound flavors are.
Old 02-27-2019, 10:15 AM
Retired

EfeTe - we plan to spend some time in Menton, but we shy away from anything that might be considered 'nouvelle cuisine'. Our preference is to explore the older, original/regional gastronomic expressions, such as cassoulet in SW France. Something like bouillabaisse should work well in Cote d'Azur. Or most any 'nicoise' or pain baignant. And any regional cheese, of course.
Here are a few of the local suggestions:
https://www.thetalkingsuitcase.com/1...e-specialties/

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-28-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:11 AM

Far from nouvelle cuisine mate, plus the chef/owner is an Argie and so nearly all of their dishes come with a Latino twist
Old 03-18-2019, 10:56 AM

Did I mention that he's 3-star Michelin now? Haha.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:11 AM
Retired

We did just fine with Comptoir du Marche and Bistrot d'Antoine and others. Wonderful, more traditional French food and wine from the regions in the south. And, as Nice was part of Italy on (mostly) & off until 1860 we also had excellent pasta dishes. The carbonara was the best we've had, plus excellent clam & other sea-food pasta. The local pizza was good, but the two times we tried it was slightly under-cooked by our standards. Moules were 'in-season' and fat & delicious. Pain, unfortunately, ran from poor to outstanding. Part of the 'EU effect', we think. We found the deserts we tried to be of the highest caliber. On our last day we had dinner on the beach at Beau Rivage. We went for the venue (another beautiful day - as were all our days), but the food turned out to be delicious, as were a couple of their wines. We found the bistro, etc., to be so good that we never got around to buying food at the Cours Saleya open-air market and eating on our balcony (other than millefeuilles & tea). We found their veggies, including potatoes, to be as tasty and well prepared as any we have had. Will post a few pic's once I download the camera (got home @11 p.m. last night). The one steak-frites I had was anything but memorable.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Comptoir St Jacques.JPG (225.8 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg d'Antoine 3.JPG (224.9 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Beau Rivage 2.JPG (260.6 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 03-20-2019 at 09:54 AM. Reason: add pic's.