AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 04-26-2021, 06:08 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_brio View Post
The sMS-200ultra Neo or ultra rendu is just a roon end point, right? or can all sound from the pc go through it?
The SMS-200 UltraNeo and Sonore UltraRendu are devices known as a "network bridge". The principal function of a network bridge is to take network input from the music server, and convert it to a digital output that a DAC can accept; usually via a USB cable and interface.

The network bridge connects on the input end via a physical network connection (usually copper Ethernet, but could also be optical fiber) to a digital source of content e.g. a music server, NUC, Roon Nucleus (preferably located well away from the audio rack), then on the output end, to your DAC or "endpoint". The network bridge is then connected to your DAC.

Here's a graphic representation of a basic setup.
Some routers have some RJ45 Ethernet ports built-in, in which case, you can forego the Ethernet switch shown, and just connect an Ethernet cable from your music server to directly to the Router, and another Ethernet cable from the Router that runs "downstream" to the network bridge in the audio rack.

Network bridges also generally have much better digital clocks than generic or consumer-grade networking devices, so you get better sound quality from using an audio-grade network bridge.

One of the most important things with respect to a simple setup like this is the quality of the power supplies used for the devices in the chain. Switch-mode power supplies are not good as they add leakage current to the chain of connections that results in an audible degradation of sound quality. Even the generic TP-link Ethernet switch shown above can be improved by using something as simple as Jameco Electronics Reliapro linear power supply for eleven bucks.

You can buy network bridges from a a coupla hundred bucks, e.g. a Raspberry pi-based one from Allo, etc., all the way to <$4K for an Auralic Aries G2 or dCS Network bridge.

A great place to start, though would be with a Sonore microRendu for $399.
https://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html.

Just be sure to get a good linear power supply for it. Small Green Computer sells some for devices in the price range of the microRendu for about $189 or so.

I use a network bridge from SoTM called the SMS-200 UltraNeo; it costs about $1200, so you can see there is a range of products with various price points along the way. Sonore also makes the ultraRendu which is an upgrade to the microRendu. Both are Roon-ready and will serve as a Roon endpoint, so you can stream content either from files resident on a hard drive or the Net via Tida or Qobuz from within Roon.

If you get something a bit better than the entry-level network bridges, consider a better power supply, too.

Ivan carries a line of really nice linear and very affordable power supplies that support two devices independently, from a company called Keces, and I use a Keces P3 for my SOtM SMS-200 UltraNeo. So, if you were to get say, a SOtM or UltraRendu, I would recommend the Keces P3 power supply for it from Ivan.

Hope this helps as an introduction.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-26-2021 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:00 AM

Puma Cat thank you for the explanation =)

Does your produkt support tidal connect?

And is it possible to “stream” all audio output from my pc to microRendu exactly like the usb output on the pc? What I mean is today I use the usb output from my pc to my dac but I want a device like the microRendu to play the audio from my pc to the dac. (from tidal, youtube, games and so on)

Or do i need Roon to play tidal?
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812
Old 04-27-2021, 12:19 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Puma Cat thank you for the explanation =)

Does your produkt support tidal connect?

And is it possible to “stream” all audio output from my pc to microRendu exactly like the usb output on the pc? What I mean is today I use the usb output from my pc to my dac but I want a device like the microRendu to play the audio from my pc to the dac. (from tidal, youtube, games and so on)

Or do i need Roon to play tidal?
As far as I understand it, you don't need Roon to stream Tidal. And yes, could "stream" all audio output from your pc to your DAC. If you don't use Roon, you'll need to use a streaming app.

The microRendu supports streaming content via the following protocols:
Mode #1 - SqueezeLite Output - This output works with any Logitech Media Server and compatible controllers. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #2 - ShairPort Output - This is an AirPlay emulator that utilizes streams sent to it from a compatible source. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM.

Mode #3 - MPD/DLNA Output:

Mode #3a - DLNA Output - This output utilizes streams from UPnP/DLNA servers and controllers. This output can be configured as an OpenHome renderer. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #3b - MPD Output - This output is intended to work with an SMB mount. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.
Mode #3c - Songcast Output - This output accepts streams from your computer running Linn Songcast. The application is in Beta form.

Mode #4 - HQ Player NAA Output - This output utilizes streams from Signalyst's HQ Player running on your computer. Digital signal processing is performed by HQ Player and then asynchronously streamed to the Network Audio Adapter (NAA) output. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #5 - RoonReady Output - This output utilizes streams from Roon. This output supports true gapless playback of PCM, DSD/DoP, and native DSD.

Mode #6 - Spotify Connect Output - This output can be controlled by your computer or tablet running the Spotify application. This application is based on librespot - an open source client library for Spotify. The application is in Beta form.

Here is an article by Jesus of Sonore for using Tidal without Roon:
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/t...er-tidalqobuz/

You would connect your microRendu to your network at one end, and to your DAC via USB at its other end.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 04-27-2021 at 12:31 PM.
Old 04-27-2021, 03:14 PM

Ok thank you i will check that
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812
Old 05-11-2021, 09:48 AM

so this is the way to setup microRendu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdO4XxLeIq0
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812
Old 05-14-2021, 11:08 AM

Just wanted to give a shout out for this thread and all who shared their knowledge. This is an area I have been considering tweaking in my system. Many of the products mentioned here I’ve researched in the past but I wasn’t sure big picture wise what was the best setup. You guys helped in making the picture become better focused. Well done.

2-Channel
McIntosh C2700, (2X)MC601, MEN220 Lampizator Baltic 3
Sonore opticalRendu, SGC sonicTransporter i5 (Gen 3), Roon Thorens TT TD318
B&W 803D3 JL Audio (2x)f110v2
Shunyata Denali/S v2, Alpha v2 PCs, WW Gold/Silver Eclipse Interconnects, Platinum USB

Whole House Music Listening
Bluesound Vault2i, PowerNode2, PulseMini2i, Pulse2, (3x)Flex
5.2 System Above using Passthru
Marantz SR7012
Oppo 205, Apple TV (4th gen), Sony XBR850e65
B&W HTM2 D3
Second 5.1 System Castoffs from Upgrades
LRC Paradigm Millenia 20, Velodyne MiniVee 10, KEF surrounds, DefTech AW6500

Last edited by dkorbal; 05-21-2021 at 08:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
so this is the way to setup microRendu?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdO4XxLeIq0
No, this is a video on how to setup Remote Desktop in Windows 10.
Old 05-14-2021, 07:53 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkorbal View Post
Just wanted to give a shout out for this thread and all who shared their knowledge. This is an area I have been considering tweaking in my system. Many of the products mentioned here I’ve researched in the past but I wasn’t sure dig picture wise what was the best setup. You guys helped in making the picture become better focused. Well done.
Doug,
I'm happy to help out with any questions you may have as I've been doing this for a while now, including with optical for my "long run" between server and network bridge or streamer. Feel free to post your questions here or PM me.
Old 05-20-2021, 04:49 AM

But how do you setup to get the audio from games to the dac? I understand from roon but i want all audio from the pc.
B&W CM10 S2
REL S812
Old 05-20-2021, 11:48 AM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
But how do you setup to get the audio from games to the dac? I understand from roon but i want all audio from the pc.
Like this: