AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM

Default Anyone Here Shoot Precision Rifle?

I own and shoot many different types of guns, but I seem to get the most enjoyment out of shooting long range rifle. I'm fortunate enough to have a private range within 15 minutes of my home that has multiple platforms to shoot from. All of them have steel targets placed at various distances. Depending on the platform, I can shoot steel from 100-1375 yards. I love trying to place a relatively small group on a steel target at 900 yards, watch the impact through the scope, and hear the "gong" a few seconds later.

In the photo below, I'm shooting my Tikka Sporter chambered in .223. It's an awesome factory gun and groups well at 800 yards. I've taken it out to 1007 yards with great success, although the little 77gr bullet gets pushed around quite a lot at the distance. The rifle in the background is a Surgeon Scalpel in 6.5 Creedmoor.

[IMG][/IMG]

Terry

Last edited by Azbiker; 02-21-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:25 PM

very nice Terry, other than you and I , Glenn is into long range shooting as well. We'll see how many others chime in.

My passion has been varmint hunting, my longest kill on a whistle pig is 749 yds, obviously I've yet to make the 1000 yd club. Weapon of choice is .243 Ackley. The gun was 'smithed' by Clarence Hammonds using McMillian Tooley MBR stock, Rem 40x, Shilen , jewel trigger, Nikon optics.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:07 PM

Very nice setup you have Dave. A ground hog at 749yds is an awesome shot. You obviously reload. I have in the past, but was out of shooting for a number of years and had sold all of my equipment. One of the reasons I shoot 6.5CR is the availability of consistent factory match ammo.

Terry
Old 02-21-2018, 05:11 PM

Yes Terry reloading is not only a pleasure but a must since my Ackley is a tight neck chamber (.264). My other varmint rigs were/are .223's, 22-250, 220 swift.

While I no longer do, I shot 100 yd benchrest for years (6ppc)
Old 02-21-2018, 09:04 PM
Retired

Nice!! Looks like your .223 rig would also work well for F-T/R. I really like the 'no recoil' of a .223. I recently built a single-shot R700 (40-X) in .223 with a Bartlein 5R barrel for F-T/R https://www.audioaficionado.org/show...?t=4683&page=5. However, BPCR & BPTR (200yd to 1000yd) are my first loves (along with sporting clays in the winter), so not sure how many times I'll get out to the F-Class matches. We have a 600yd range at my home range (~20min from the house) and Bridgeville, DE has 1000yd. Have another three 600yd ranges within 2hr, so plenty of places to shoot. The upside is the barrel will last a long time if I don't shoot it. I'm just getting started on a ladder-test for the rifle and have both the tipped and traditional 77gr SMK, 80gr A-Max & SMK, 80gr, 80.5gr, 82gr & 90gr Berger to test. Berger's generally fly best for me, but one never knows until they do the test. Had the chamber cut for 80gr & 90gr bullets for 800yd+, but the 77s may do what's needed at 600yd. Wanted to get out in our record 73F temps today but it was so windy it would have been a waste of ammo.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-21-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:09 PM

So jealous of the range. Looks like a literal blast!
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 PM

I do feel fortunate to have range so close where I can safely shoot steel at longer ranges. We're working on getting state approval to place targets out to 2400 yards. Below is a pic of our son shooting the IPSC style target at 1375 yards. It is a smaller one at 18" tall x 12" wide. The winds were pretty favorable that day so he was ringing it with one of my 6.5CM's.

The target is located down towards the base of the sand colored hill in the red circle.

[IMG][/IMG]

Terry
Old 02-23-2018, 10:33 PM

I was into long range varmint hunting back in the 80,s & early nineties with my father in FT. Hunter Ligget where you could easily have a 1500 yard shot if you and your weapon was capable of it which mine where. The weapons of choice were a switch 25-06 Ackley Improved & 30-06 Ackley Improved built on Old Winchester action with Shilen Heavy barrels, unscrew one barrel and screw in the other depending upon what your target and distances where with all handholds of course with 90 gr ballistic tip for the 25 and 165 gr Barnes for the 30 man was that riffle accurate. The other everyday rifle was a custom 220 swift Hart heavy barrel on a Remington action using 52 grain Ballistic tips both were fiberglass stocks.

Ft Hunter Liggett at that time anyways was open to hunters on the sections that were open I believe their was 15 sections open with all kinds of squirrels, Bobcats, Lynx, Coyotes, Pigs a varmint hunters paradise which varmint hunting was illegal at the time. Not even sure Hunter Liggett is still open for hunting.

We would camp out on the coast at Naciemento camp grounds then get up early and drive over the hill onto Liggett and let the fun begin.

Miss those times long ago.Thanks for the memories.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:35 PM

My father shot a 264 Win.Mag built on a Mauser action back in the day and man would that thing send waves.
Old 02-24-2018, 09:29 AM
Retired

Back in the day......... many, if not most, competitors in high-power shot 30cal bullets in long cartridges. When the 30cal WSM came on the scene it was initially quite popular. However, folks learned that getting beat up by 30cal recoil was detrimental to shooting over an entire 66-shot (or more) match. Today, the 7mm, 6.5mm, 6mm & .223 rule the roost. My guess is the new 6.5PRC and .223 Valkyrie will soon be on top with several of the 6mm remaining popular (6XC, 6 Dasher, 6 Hagar, etc.). Any of the magnums are punishing over the course of a day's match, to say nothing of multi-day matches. The great majority of the most advanced bullets are developed for these three calibers, with some attention being paid to 7mm for those who want a heavier bullet. With BCs of over .6, they are difficult to beat in the wind.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 02-24-2018 at 09:31 AM.