AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 12-21-2017, 04:47 PM

Default Do you answer the door carrying a firearm?

If so, concealed or open?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:06 PM

I tend to open fire as they come up the sidewalk .........
Old 12-21-2017, 05:17 PM

It wasn't that long ago here in New Zealand, that we didn't bother to lock our doors at home at all, and left the keys in the ignition of the Holden when we went to the beach!

Times have changed, thats for sure.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Mike.......17 acres completely fenced and wooded, home not visible from the road, 300' of driveway, and an electric gate with keypad at the entrance, I don't get anyone knocking on my door. If I know someone is coming I leave the gate open, otherwise it is closed. High definition cameras record to a hard drive 24/7. Were someone to knock on my door uninvited I would check the monitor first to see if it is someone I know. If it's someone I don't know, I would not open the door as this would be considered trespassing, and yes I would have my pistol at hand for that scenario, particularly after dark. I have taught Marlene never to open the door to a stranger no matter the tale of woe.

Living in a rural area like I do, everyone knows that everyone else is armed. Country folks don't mess around about personal safety and don't take kindly to strangers or trespassers. Out here, calling 911 means you may get a Sheriff's Deputy to show up in 15 minutes if you're lucky. If and when seconds may matter it's up to me to protect myself and Marlene. In a life threatening situation I prefer a 9mm pistol in my hand than a cellphone.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 01-09-2018 at 01:55 AM.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:16 PM

Default Do you answer the door carrying a firearm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
Out here, calling 911 means you might get a Sheriff's Deputy to show up in 15 minutes if you're lucky. If and when seconds matter it's up to me to protect myself and Marlene. In a life threatening situation I prefer a semi-automatic 9mm pistol in my hand than a cellphone.
+1 Dan!

Former Milwaukee County Sheriff....

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-8TCx-sM1vw

Last edited by Cohibaman; 12-21-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:24 PM

While I understand the need to be safe I would not do so unless the knock came at some late hour or early in the morning. That said if main door closed I look through the peep hole. If person looks suspect or I cannot see them the door does not get opened. When I do open it I have a pretty heavy storm door that does not get opened or unlocked until I've vetted who's at the door. I'm also a little over 6ft tall and about 295 lbs and usually don't look all that friendly, so I'm told. I'm pretty aware of the various ploys used to forcefully enter ones home so unless I'm expecting you not likely your getting in.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.

Last edited by DonBattles; 12-22-2017 at 03:31 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-22-2017, 02:16 AM

I moved out of the city a couple years ago, but I used to answer the door armed, yes. I'm in a more rural area now and between large dogs and weapons always close by, I usually don't now unless I'm already carrying. I conceal carry away from home and open carry at home, but it varies when coming to the door at home these days. I live in a gated community and most of my neighbors are gun enthusiasts... many able to legally own and use suppressors, SBRs, and machine guns.

Texas... the greatest nation on Earth.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ421291 View Post
It wasn't that long ago here in New Zealand, that we didn't bother to lock our doors at home at all, and left the keys in the ignition of the Holden when we went to the beach!

Times have changed, thats for sure.
What changed? And what do you attribute it to?

Oh, and no, I don't open the door with a gun. But sometimes think twice about opening it at night. (My front door does not have a peep hole)

Last edited by Mahalo; 12-22-2017 at 03:13 AM.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:01 AM

I live in south Africa..crime capital of the world.. have cameras all around my property , can see who is at our gate/door, I have an armed guard at night , armed response at all times, am armed myself , have outside beams and a separate internal/perimeter security system , 3 dogs , inscape area , expanding security gates at all entrances , electric fences , remote panic buttons etc etc

normally I just dont answer the bell/door as if you are not invited round to me or not expected, you are not wanted..if the person at my door does not have my cell or home phone no..in my eyes they are trouble and can FOAD!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 04:26 AM

I live in London.....hot tea and chocolate biscuits capital of the world... I have a 2 bicycle guard system and a discreet privet hedge to stop visual peeks in to my living room. If the intruder(s) see my bikes they will think i'm too poor to rob, and they can't see my doings due to the hedge. Oh, and there is an outside light that comes on when I come to open the front door. And there's a menacing hum when I turn the mist extractor fan light on whilst bathing.