AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 AM
Semi-audiophile

Default HDTV Shoot-Out

I thought I would share this in case anyone was interested.

I attended the annual flat-panel shoot-out at Value Electronics in Scarsdale, NY back on May 11, a Saturday. It was a 2-evening event, as there was a presentation Friday May 10 as well. Even though this is a small (though they recently moved to a somewhat larger store), mom/pop-type place, the event has become a big deal of sorts in the industry, as there are press and industry people who make the trek there from all over the country and the world, as do personnel from the various companies represented to make presentations on their flagship TVs. And, it was streamed live online. There were refreshments, as usual, and that included some KILLER homemade cookies by one of the daughters of the VE proprietors, Robert and Wendy Zohn.

This year's sets were the following: Panasonic TC-P65ZT60, Panasonic TC-P65VT60, Samsung PN64F8500 (plasmas), Sony XBR-X900A 4K Ultra High Definition, Panasonic TC-L55WT60 , and the Samsung UN60F8000 (LED LCDs). LG couldn't get their flagship set there in time for the event, unfortunately. And Sharp Elite is in a holding pattern, perhaps updating their line to come out with 4K sets.

As mentioned in my preamp thread, I will sometimes consider what to replace current gear with should the need arise. In that case the "what if" turned into an "I did" (though I'm still not 100% sold on the replacement; that process is still ongoing). But as for my TV, a Pioneer Kuro, there is unlikely to be an "I did" moment as long as it's working. In fact, there was a Kuro KRP-500 there, not part of the shoot-out but for curiosity comparison (external pressure led to that, I understand). The Kuro, 4 years old, was still better in black level. You can watch excerpts on VE's website; there's probably more on You Tube or other sites.

In case anyone is interested, here is the write-up by Rob Sabin of Home Theater magazine on the proceedings; he was there that Saturday.

Value Electronics HDTV Shootout: And Then There Were Three... | Home Theater
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks

Last edited by prepress; 06-03-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM

Prepress...thanks for posting. It seems like Kuro remains the true king. Interesting to read about the plasma developments.

We have the Sony HX950 equivalent. Very happy with that too for some time to come if current 1st gen 4K LED progress is anything to go by.

Sounds like Samsung are continuing to push the pop in their LCDs. Despite my prejudices regarding their longevity, I also find their picture a little artificial & fatiguing in a darkened room.
Old 05-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Semi-audiophile

There was some solo time with the Sony for 4K material, provided by Sony on an external hard drive (they had no rep at the shoot-out). In a split screen with 4K and 1080p content, the 4K advantage was obvious, more with some material than others. With the technical, torture-test material the calibrators used the Sony showed some warts; the motion resolution test wasn't so great. And on the Lawrence of Arabia BD, the picture had a yellowish tint compared to the plasmas.

If my PRO-111FD died with no hope of repair, I'd go for the Panasonic VT60, though I would want the 55" version. I'm not sure the ZT60 upgrades are worth it to me. The Samsung might be too bright in my dim room, and there was suggestion that turning the brightness down has an adverse affect on PQ.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM

Great write up!
Old 05-28-2013, 02:48 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyPal View Post
Prepress...thanks for posting. It seems like Kuro remains the true king. Interesting to read about the plasma developments.

We have the Sony HX950 equivalent. Very happy with that too for some time to come if current 1st gen 4K LED progress is anything to go by.

Sounds like Samsung are continuing to push the pop in their LCDs. Despite my prejudices regarding their longevity, I also find their picture a little artificial & fatiguing in a darkened room.
I confess I paid little attention to the Samsung and Panasonic LCDs. I was focused on the plasmas. But the Samsung LCD did look brighter than the Panasonic to me.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:08 PM

+1 for kuro, mine is great. rather than concentrate on brightness i believe one should id their need to view programs from an angle rather than directly in front of a tv which plasma is usually better at. secondly the ability for the picture to stay the same as you stand favors plasma
Old 05-29-2013, 05:37 PM

I love my PRO-101FD and PRO-141FD!
Home Theater: Sonos->MCD1100,Oppo 105D,Cary 306/200,MVP-871->SP3->C500T->MC501x3+MC402x2+MC252->PL300+F113x2+PL350+4xPL InWall+PL100,PL100 in games room,VPL-VW500ES, Shunyata Sigma HCx3, Shunyata Analogx2, Alpha HCx2, Alpha Digital, Wire World Silver Electra x8
Great Room: BDP-09FD,Sonos->MCD500->MX119->MC501x3+2xMA700s->PL200+PLC150+GRFX+F112,PRO-141FD
Kid's Room: Sonos,Oppo 95->MX119->HCA1200mkii+4xMA700s->GR20s+FB210+GRLCR+2xGRFX,PRO-101FD
Home Gym: Sonos->Oppo 105->MC252->GR10s+FB210,TC-P55ST60
Office at work: Cary 306/200, Michell Gyro SE w/TechnoArm+Meastro Wood->6900->GR10s+SB12-Plus
Cottage: iPod,Oppo 95->Marantz SR7009->PSB Silver+ GRLCR+Silver FXi, MA700+PSB Mini in sunroom
Old 06-04-2013, 04:23 PM
Semi-audiophile

You can view much of the actual shoot-out here.

HDTVShootout - YouTube

I actually asked a question during the Q & A, about 17:50 in.

Last edited by prepress; 06-04-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:43 PM
Semi-audiophile

I have plans to attend this year's shootout as well. It's coming up this weekend. With plasma all but gone, what with Samsung getting out by November and LG the last one standing (though one wonders for how long) it will be interesting to see what the UHD/4K sets offer. Last year's popular winner, the Samsung F8500 plasma, will be there; it'll be the only plasma. This isn't a final list, but these are some of the sets to appear as I understand it.

UHD/4K Models
LG 79UB9800 or 84UB9800 LED-edgelit LCD
Samsung UN78HU9000 LED-edgelit LCD
Samsung UN85S9 16:9 or UN105S9W 21:9 LED-FALD LCD
Sony XBR-85X950B LED-FALD LCD

1080p Models:
LG 55EC9300 OLED
Samsung PN64F8500 plasma
Samsung KN55S9C OLED
Vizio M652i-B2 1080p LED-FALD LCD

Panasonic has an exclusive with Best Buy, so they won't be there. Maybe also because their LCDs did so poorly last year?

I am not a hard-core videophile, but it will be interesting to see potential successors to my Pioneer Elite Kuro in case it needs replacing one day.
Old 08-13-2014, 11:21 PM
The Architect

Still really glad I picked up a Panasonic 60" VT60 at the end of last year. I'll be curious to see how these newer LCD/LED 4k sets compare to last year's models and the current plasmas...
JL Audio F113 subs with CR-1 Crossover
Schiit Audio Yggdrasil DAC (Analog 2 + Unison USB)
Sonore Ultrarendu with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2
Uptone Audio EtherREGEN network switch with LPS-1.2
Oppo UDP-205 with ModWright Signature Truth Tube Modifications
Clearaudio Performance SE TT with Hana ML MC cartridge
ModWright PH 9.0x Phono Stage
ASC & RealTraps Panels; APS PurePower 2000; Daedalus Audio DiDs
LAT International, Shunyata, Wireworld, WyWires Cables