AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 10-30-2010, 05:49 PM

More jobs lost to mexico, or china. The way I feel about JBL now, I'll never give them another cent of my money. Forty years of dedication, and love is now going,,,,going.....GONE!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:14 AM

The thread states that the Northridge production facility is moving to another established JBL production facility in Mexico. The products will continue to be available. Engineering will be combined with the other high end brands. I wonder how the high end customers in China and Japan will view this move? Will the high end cache' of the brand be diminished?
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 11-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Retired

Sad, indeed............... Am looking at some Klipsch speakers. Now will have to do some research on where they are made. Including the individual drivers. "Assembled in the USA" simply is not enough these days.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 11-29-2010, 01:26 AM

I've been to the Northridge facility several times this year for different reasons. Each time the morale was lower than the time before.

The last three JBL systems I bought, Performance Series, Synthesis® One Array, and K2 S9900 were all products of Northridge, but that's all gone now. I love each of these systems, but it's hard to say if I'll find the enthusiasm to buy anything else.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:41 AM

This perhaps has been mentioned before, and the thought no doubt runs through many heads, is that now with production south of the border, how will JBL then be viewed?

JBL has of course enjoyed numerous decades of success with their products in both the USA, and also in Asia. The Asian market, and I think more specifically, Japan has a large following of the JBL heritage products. The wonderment is, what happens now?

It's a common known fact, the Japanese have always highly regarded-admired many products that are american made. Musical Instruments are one, Autos, Motorcycles as just a few, and in many cases, it has been Japan that has driven the market, and the value of such items.

So then, now what? will Japan still admire-rever a speaker product made south of the border? I'm getting the impression no.

I can remember many concerns years ago, when McIntosh was sold to the Clarion Corp, that the product would no longer be of any value. I strongly doubt the new products coming from Mexico will enjoy the held value such as JBL's heritage fleet have.

This doesn't necessarily mean a poor product. Take a mexican made Fender Stratocaster for example. Sure, a fine guitar, but what will one be worth in 20 years? Basically, nada.

Just as large a concern, is then what might happen for parts, and support of JBL's heritage products. What happens when driver rebuild kits-parts become no longer available? Will those products then become worthless? Sort of like an old victrola?

I worry that such a move will "kill" JBL on not only one, but two fronts. It's hard to tell at this point, but the allure, and love of JBL may very well become nothing more than a distant memory a few years from now.
Old 11-29-2010, 01:24 PM

This is sad, I had many speakers from fancy brands but only got to have a nice pair of Studio Monitor 4315 recently.

Despite the fact they are more than 30 years old, the magic still works...

Rich.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:54 AM
McKlipschead

rykkard...Welcome to AA
Old 12-01-2010, 05:11 PM

Default JBL Northridge plant closing

Greetings Gents,

I am new here, but not to JBL products. In fact, my first introduction to a 'stereo' was my Dad's system that he purchased new in 1969: Kenwood KR5150 receiver, Dual turntable/Shure and a pair of JBL L99's - the ones with the perforated teak grilles. Was awestruck then and throughout all these years of 'upgrading', buying, selling, trading, etc., I still come back to the 'sound' of a JBL loudspeaker.

My first purchase of a JBL product was 10 years later, in 1979 with a pair of L220's. After that, and perhaps both my greatest loudspeaker purchase ever, and my worst audio hobby decision ever (selling them a year later, as a result of 'upgrade-itis'), was the purchase in 1986 of a brand new pair of 4355's.

Will never forget that. Likely one of the most anticipated and fun times of my life, was bringing those things home, setting them up, listening and basically admiring them every night before retire. Purchased through Guitar Showcase' professional dept., there were only (2) pairs left in the Northridge whse., and both were slated for the European market. I was lucky enough to snag perhaps one of the last production runs of that loudspeaker. I kick myself to this day for selling them, having no idea what a treasure they would be to own today, in more ways than one...

In any event, back to the story at hand: I caught this by accident, just doing some surfing around for information/reviews on the new 4365. As a former JBL 4355 owner, you can probably guess that I am interested/excited about the 4365 - not so much the transducer itself, but the anticipation of what might be coming next in terms of large-format 're-introductions' from Harman Japan. If one looks at the preceding products in this line of monitors, one can definitely see they are creeping up on the holy grail of a 'revised' 4350 type monitor - or at least I am hoping for that...

This story came as both a shock, but not a surprise if that makes sense. What one thought of as an 'institution' that would never go away, has. At the same time, it seems to be our (overall U.S. manufacturing base) destiny, to come to such a low point that we finally figure out that a real economy actually can't survive built upon financial services and real estate alone...

We'll get there.

In the back of my mind, I think - perhaps like Harley Davidson or some other iconic name brand, JBL will enjoy a renaissance in the future. Who knows, perhaps Harman will ultimately spin-off JBL and an individual - or group of loyalists or somebody with a vision, will take the reigns and rebuild this brand, back in the states where it belongs.

Like many here, I agree that there are some things that need to be made here - i.e., R & D'd, engineered, built and marketed on our soil, inside our own manufacturing plants - kinda like the way we used to do things here, before we were all sold on the 'new' economy.

My take on that? What was once considered 'Old' will become New again. My hope is that JBL will be one of those brands.
Old 12-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Remembering Dan

First of all, welcome to AA, 5 DG! You will love it here.

I read your post with considerable interest, as an avid JBL lover myelf. You and I have some things in common. First, I too was mesmerized way back in the 70's by a pair of Lancer 99's, with the LE14A woofer and the beautuiful grille you mentioned. I couldn't sleep for the next few years, until I got my very own pair of JBL's, a pair of L100A's. That was in about 1978. I owned them for four years, when I bought my pair of L220A's in 1982. At that time I was running them with a Crown IC150A/DC300 combo. I still have my L220's to this day, still giving me great service in my main system, which is built around a McIntosh C40/MC501 team. I've also augmented them with a B460 subwoofer, also powered by an MC501 amp. I've simply cared for my L220's well over the years, rebuilding the drivers when needed. They are as close to "mint" as I think would be fair to expect today. Here's a couple of shots showing my L220's and B460:

Like you, I always go back to the sound of JBL. (actually, I never left it!) In addition to my L220/B460 team, I have a pair of 4313B's in my Florida room, with a JBL 2241-based sub, and a pair of 4401 monitors in my office, powered by my old Crown IC150A/DC300 combo. If I had room, I'd build still more systems using the legendary JBL models from "back in the day".

JBL today does have a number of "dream" systems, such as the Everest, and the K2 S9900. I remember well the large monitors you mentioned, such as the 4350. Simply awesome.

Like you, I cling to the hope that one day JBL will be "reborn" as you say, to show itself once again as they once were, and as they should be. Long live JBL!

You will find that there are a good number of longtime JBL fans here. Ivan, " MasterLu", our great friend who founded this site, and Dan "jdandy" to name just a couple.

Welcome again to AA!

Pete

No. 35

Main System: VPI Prime Signature TT in Rosewood, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Stillpoints LP1 V2, McIntosh: MP100, MR78, MCD1000 Transport on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MDA1000 D/A Converter on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, MS750 Music Server, C40, MC501's (3), Soundcraftsmen: DC2215 Eq/AS1000 Real time analyzer, DBX 3BX II, Carver C9, Nakamichi Dragon, Crown SX724, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), Sony XBR55X900E 4K TV, JBL L220A's, JBL B460, Sumo Delilah active crossover, WireWorld Silver Eclipse audio interconnects, WireWorld Starlight and Silver Starlight Coaxial Digital interconnects, Wireworld SuperNova 7 Toslink digital interconnect, WireWorld Aurora 7 and Silver Electra Power cords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-Ray Player, Bryson BUC-1 USB Converter, Wireworld Gold Starlight XLR Digital interconnect, PS Audio Direct Stream Power Plant 12 on Stillpoint Ultra Minis, PS Audio Dectect, FuruTech Flux-50 NCF Inline Power Filter, Add-Powr Wizard EM Field AC Line conditioner; Stillpoint Ultra SS's under (3) McIntosh MC501 Amplifiers

Florida Room/Art Studio System: Harmon Kardon T60 TT/Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh: MR77, C32, MC2205; Crown Power Line Four, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 Digital to Analog converter, Soundcraftsmen AE2000 Eq, JBL 4313B's, JBL 2241-based Sub, JBL BX63A Active Crossover, Oppo BDP-105D Blu-Ray Player, Samsung 5500 Series 32" Smart TV, Terk AF-1 Powered Antenna

Master Bedroom System: McIntosh: MX120 Theater processor, MC206 6-channel amplifier; MR74 AM/FM Tuner, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, JVC HM-DH40000U D-Theater Digital VHS, Phase Technology PC80 Towers (now used as stands), (2) JBL 4401's, (1) JBL Studio 6IW speaker, (2) JBL Studio 6IC speakers, Sony XBR-49X900E UHD TV, Panamax 1000 Line Conditioner, (2) JL Audio E110 Subwoofers, Wireworld Solstice speaker cables, Wireworld Aurora Power cords, Wireworld Equinox and Solstice speaker cables and various other flavors of Wireworld and Audioquest cabling

Office System: Marantz 150 Tuner, Crown DL 2, Crown EQ 2, Crown SA 2, Crown D-75A (as headphone amp), McIntosh MCD7009 (as transport), DBX 3BX Series II, Oppo BDP-103 Blu-ray player, JBL 4401's, JL Audio E112 Subwoofer, Samsung 5500 series 32" Smart TV, Wire World Oasis audio interconnects, Wire World Solstice speaker cables, Wyred for Sound DAC-2 DSDse Digital to Analog converter, Wireworld Starlight Coaxial Digital Interconnect, Sennheiser HD800 Headphones, Sennheiser HDVA600 Headphone amp, Wireworld Silver Eclipse Balanced Interconnects, Wireworld Platinum Starlight USB Cable, Add-Powr EAU-2 AC Harmonic resonator

High Resolution Source: HP Omen 17" Gaming Laptop

Last edited by Vintage Pete; 09-24-2011 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

5 DG.......Welcome to Audio Aficionado.

Good first post. I am pleased to see another JBL fan join our ranks. I have been a huge JBL fan for more years than I care to count, and before that an Altec Lansing man, too. My very first decent system included a pair of the A7 Altec Voice of the Theater speakers. After that came Altec Valencia's, then JBL's including the famous L100's. I still own and use a pair of JBL 4312A monitors in a vintage McIntosh system.

Just last week I had the pleasure of hearing Pete's system in the photos above. His JBL L220A's and that monster 18" JBL B460 subwoofer produces the authentic JBL sound, full bodied, wide spectrum, awesome dynamics, and thunderous bass. I can tell you, Pete knows JBL. It sounds like you do, too.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A

Last edited by jdandy; 12-01-2010 at 09:08 PM.