AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 07-24-2015, 06:21 PM

Default Thinking about JBL 4429

The 4429 and a MC275?
I have been aware of maybe a not so much match made in heaven with my current Vienna Acoustics Baby Beethoven speakers. Many testimonies here state that JBL and McIntosh are! I have been warned that this model is not heavy in the bass department. Any experience with the JBL 4429? They are rated 91 for their sensitivity as are the Viennas but I think the Viennas have a more complicated load.
Anyways, it's just courtesy to post a photo :-)

Old 07-25-2015, 10:02 AM

hallo!

I have replaced the 4319 I had to 4429. No comparison, the 4429 is a totally different animal. I am suprized that it can play loud in my large room. The bass is tight and clean and the rest of the sound is spot on!!! I am driving it with Crown DCi 2/600N amp.

My brother has 4312E and tested with mono MC275 and it sounds very very good. I have not tested with the MC275 with 4429, but, I am sure it will sound nice as well.

The reason I change to 4429 is becasue it is a compression driver speaker.

I am very satified with the 4429.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:40 AM

Sounds like a win win with either one. You were just the person I needed to talk to Mctwins! There are a lot of videos on you tube of the 4429 and seem pretty popular overall. The other thing is the 4429 looks more fitted for home use though both are classified as monitors. I'm leaning...
Old 07-25-2015, 08:16 PM

With these specs, would there be an issue with the 4429's being driven with a mc275 to a reasonably loud level? Not trying to do any damage but some times you get the urge to turn it up.
Low-frequency transducer:
300mm (12") pure-pulp cone woofer 1200FE-8
High-frequency transducer:
50mm (1-3/4") titanium diaphragm 175Nd-3
Ultrahigh-frequency transducer:
19mm (3/4") titanium diaphragm 138Nd
Recommended amplifier power:
200 watts RMS
Frequency response:
40Hz – 45kHz (–6dB)
Nominal impedance:
6 ohms
Sensitivity:
91dB (2.83V/1m)
Crossover frequencies:
800Hz, 7kHz
Old 07-26-2015, 10:15 AM

Hallo!

I don't think so but you can always damage a speakers if it goes into to much clipping. Both input clipping and output clipping schould be avoided.

On my Crown DCi I have limiter settings.

200Watts(RMS) into 6ohms gives 34,6 Volts
200x6=1200 square root this sum

Doubling this gives 48,9 Volts
400x6=2400 square root this sum

A tube amp is more forgiving to clipping than a solid state amp.

I have tested mine near clipping(without clipping the input or output)for long period of hours
Old 07-26-2015, 11:23 AM

Sweet. Thank you Mctwins. Is there a way to know when there is clipping other than bad sound? I just got a hold of the owners manual from JBL in English so I can read up before I buy.
Old 07-26-2015, 03:04 PM

Hallo!

I see that you have C2200. If you are at 0dB on the meters it will give you 75Watts in stereo mode and this is around 80% on volume. So, if you play from 50 to 80 % you are on the safe side depends on source.

Just connect it at 4ohm tap to your MC275 and fire it up. Don't be so critical to 4429 at first due to breakin time. Just give it some time to open up.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:01 PM

I never knew how the meters really worked. I knew the louder the preamp, the further to the right the needles would point. So if the meters were all the way to the right, the amp would be playing 75 watts which is the amps max. I have not gone to much past the half way mark with my current speakers. Mainly due to them not sounding well.
When you say 50% or 80% volume, is the same as the number displayed on the screen of the pre amp? Thanks for your help. You have been most informative!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshyne View Post
I never knew how the meters really worked. I knew the louder the preamp, the further to the right the needles would point. So if the meters were all the way to the right, the amp would be playing 75 watts which is the amps max. I have not gone to much past the half way mark with my current speakers. Mainly due to them not sounding well.
When you say 50% or 80% volume, is the same as the number displayed on the screen of the pre amp? Thanks for your help. You have been most informative!
Yes, the percentage number desplayed on the screen. If you have 0dB on the meters scale(80%). If you have 100% this will go beyond 0dB.

When I am doing Gainstructure and run a pinknoice from a CD that I have, I always stay at 80%. This is around +20dBu(on a dBu scale), so if you are at around 50-60% this is around 0dBu, your listening level.

Hope you understand
Old 07-27-2015, 11:30 AM

I think I understand the first part, but the second part is over my head.
I am looking up the difference between dB and dBu and they are linked to more information I don't understand. I read the u stands for an unloaded open circuit. I thought I started to understand but then lost my line of thought. I guess I need a bit more base knowledge to understand. Thank you for you explanations.