AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 02-16-2015, 01:29 AM

"Craig.......I would introduce your wife to personal defense handguns long before I would steer her to rifles of any type."
That was approach that I used with my wife after she expressed an interest in learning to shoot. I started the introduction at home but had her take an introduction to hand guns at a local indoor range. I figured it was better to have an experienced instructor start her off right. We have been to the range many times since then.

Her personal home defense weapon is a Glock 19 with a green laser but I agree with Dan, the S & W Shield 9mm would have been a better choice to start if CC is the goal.

Steve

Steve
Old 03-08-2015, 03:12 PM
Retired

Craig - did you and your wife get out for a round of sporting clays? Like golf with a shotgun. Lehigh Valley is a nice venue and close to you. You might want to call and schedule a round with an instructor. Ask to talk with whomever it might be ahead of time so he/she will know what you are looking for, etc.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 03-08-2015, 03:49 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Craig - did you and your wife get out for a round of sporting clays? Like golf with a shotgun. Lehigh Valley is a nice venue and close to you. You might want to call and schedule a round with an instructor. Ask to talk with whomever it might be ahead of time so he/she will know what you are looking for, etc.
not yet. Been too darn cold. I do plan to schedule lessons for both us but I may be out of pocket for 2 or 3 months.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 03-08-2015, 04:17 PM

You always start new shooters out with small calibers and easy to use guns, preferably no semi autos. You need guns that the chambering of a round is deliberate and not hot after they just fired a round.

You also let them handle the gun around the house for a while, get familiar with it, NO AMO!!. Pulling the trigger, opening and closing it, take note how they do it, where the barrel is pointing. Have them get the gun in and out of a case looking at how they do it, do they pick it up with their finger on the trigger? do they put it on the table with the barrel in a safe direction? Do all this at least a week, if they show no interest playing with the gun and wanting to learn about it when not loaded and at home, you don't need lack of interest when loaded.

Even some nice pellet guns pinking around the house will show if true interest is pressent and a learning tool.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Glenn's suggestion for Lehigh is a good one, guns to rent and instruction to be had.

20 ga IS the right gun for her to start with. Since she has yet to shoot, first start by determining her dominant eye and getting her to shoot either right or left handed to coorespond.

FWIW there are weekly Sunday sporting clay shoots @ Atglen(odd Sundays) and Oxford(even Sundays)
Old 03-09-2015, 04:17 PM
Retired

The gun club sporting clays (Atglen, Oxford & Quinton in southern NJ) are generally considerably less expensive then the commercial ranges. However, they generally will not have rental guns or ammo or instructors.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-30-2015, 07:33 AM
Retired

Craig - Now that you are retired you can get out for some clays shooting. Starting to be cool enough in the morning that a nice walk in the woods is just the thing.
Old 08-30-2015, 03:19 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Craig - Now that you are retired you can get out for some clays shooting. Starting to be cool enough in the morning that a nice walk in the woods is just the thing.
My only hang up is golfing season is still going strong!

But in advance, how about some input for a rookie? I have two Remington Model 870 shotguns, a 12 gauge and a 16 gauge. I suppose either will work fine. They both have 'deer' barrels eg I assume full choke. What shot would I use? 6 shot as in for small game?
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches with fiber in between powered with Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: GIK & Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three dedicated 20 Amp lines w/Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona 5 Shelf rack, Roon sometimes running self made convolution filters
Old 08-31-2015, 09:30 AM

At our range we start out new shooters be it wife's, or children with .22's and spend a lot of time on gun safety including the workings of the gun, holding, shooting technique, stance. After they become proficient then we move on up to 9mm or 38's and start all over with the gun technique loading etc and into home defense..

We have a great female sporting clay and trap and skeet introduction course. My wife shoots a 9mm pretty well and this year got into sporting clays using a 20ga and loved it. She never shot a shotgun before and the class started them out with the shotgunning basics and she now loves the competition. She bought herself a Beretta A400 Xcel 20ga had the stock worked to fit her and she smokes the clays.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post

But in advance, how about some input for a rookie? I have two Remington Model 870 shotguns, a 12 gauge and a 16 gauge. I suppose either will work fine. They both have 'deer' barrels eg I assume full choke. What shot would I use? 6 shot as in for small game?
Craig, not to spoil your parade but neither gun would be very good for clay shooting. Also the largest pellet size you can use is 7 1/2.

I still support Glenn's suggestion for a day spent @ Lehigh. there you can rent guns, get decent instruction and have a fun time.