AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 11-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezap2 View Post
Probably a bit biased (as I own a IS250), but give me the Lexus GS anytime.

Don't know how it is in the USA, but in Europe you see Audi/BMW/Mercedes on every corner, with Lexus that's not the case (except maybe for the CT200)
Yeah, I really like my GS 350, but when I drove the 535i, it was quite a difference in feel and handling. The best way to describe it was that it felt more like a Toyota than a luxury sedan. So far the 535i is in the lead, I really like the way it handles. I still probably need to drive a GS 350 F sport just to cover the bases.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-24-2014, 07:56 PM
Music Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Yeah, I really like my GS 350, but when I drove the 535i, it was quite a difference in feel and handling. The best way to describe it was that it felt more like a Toyota than a luxury sedan. So far the 535i is in the lead, I really like the way it handles. I still probably need to drive a GS 350 F sport just to cover the bases. - Buck
I have never heard a BMW compared to a Toyota. My experience with BMW's are that they're tight and fast. Maybe next time I'm looking for a car I better stop by the Toyota dealer.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-24-2014, 08:44 PM
A happy little vegemite..

I bought a E250 Merc (the 4 cylinder turbo petrol motor you guys don't get in the USA). Drove a E400 AMG and can recommend it. Very fast serene transport. The inside is the same on all of them, bar the E63. Given my average speed is 15 - 17km/hr on my 16km round trip daily commute, power wasn't a pre requisite for me. Serenity and the quality of a good cabin were.

Drove the comparable Audi's and Bimmers, and preferred the E250. For refinement, it was leagues ahead.

Here is a picture of the E400 I drove. The AMG kit gave you better handling and better brakes, but unless you can use them, it is all a little wasted. The motor (twin turbo V6) was silky smooth and relatively quiet (oddly not as quiet as the 4 cylinder in the E250 around town, and didn't feel any faster and only marginally more refined in traffic) but, for me at least, didn't evoke any emotional response when pushed. It's a very fast car in a very boring way, if that makes sense.

The Audi A6 3.0 twin turbo diesel had the biggest grin factor - hugely powerful and sounded like a grumpy V8. if you like to play boy racer (I do) and can (I can't) then it would be the weapon of choice (it wasn't) just for the motor. Well after an E63 of course - but I am priced out of one of those (A$1/4 million). The 3.0 TT diesel is the same motor we get in the Audi SQ5 over here. I very nearly bought one of those, but ultimately went for the refinement of the Merc over the pace of the SQ5. Same price here, more or less.

The M535i was very quick and felt it, but I didn't feel that special inside the Bimmer, whereas I love getting into the Merc each day. Especially now I have the custom sheepskins fitted. The choice of the E250 vs E400 was down to the spend vs reward here in Australia, where cars are twice the cost of the USA. If I lived somewhere where it didn't take me an hour to get out of the built up traffic in any direction, and I could actually have fun with and use the capacity of the bigger motor on a regular basis, I'd have got the E400 (or maybe the A6 twin turbo - I can still hear that motor with the pipes open (sound resonator and all). The handling of the A6 left a little to be desired - it would push into understeer when you punted it hard into a corner. Safe - but a horrible feeling. Still you had to be driving it hard to get there. The AMG E400 had really good handling. It was impressive. Pity about the gear box in manual mode.

I also drove a GS350, and it was a generation behind the Germans for me. I also drove various Jaguar XF's - I didn't care for them, but the fit and finish was excellent. Visibility was a problem, as was getting in and out (much like the CLS - they look great but are a PITA to get in and out of). I also didn't care for any of the motors on offer in the XF except for the V6 twin turbo diesel and the V8. The 4 cylinder petrol turbo (same power plant (detuned) as the Ecoboost in the Mustang) was underpowered, and hunted among the gears. It was a pretty ordinary experience. Nowhere near the Merc 4 cylinder twin turbo petrol for refinement and driving pleasure. The Bimmer 4 cylinders I didn't like at all, except for the 520d. They all felt like 4 cylinder cars except for the 520d, which drove much better, the diesel giving it ample torque.

The GS 350 had a beautiful cabin, and came loaded with goodies, but again, felt a way back from the Merc and A6 & 5 series on the tarmac. I can see the appeal though.

For a left field suggestion, you could consider the E250 diesel if mileage is an issue for you; although I find 4 cylinder diesels sound like tractors at idle. I had an Audi Q5 2.0 diesel and sold it after a year - the diesel clatter got to much for me. Nice car but not in the same league as an E class. Anyways - that is my story.

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach

Last edited by AndyPandy; 11-25-2014 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo fixing
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 PM
A happy little vegemite..

Not the Merc. Auto only (and it is a very average auto in manual mode).

Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

Berthold Auerbach
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 PM
Go Dawgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilands View Post
I have never heard a BMW compared to a Toyota. My experience with BMW's are that they're tight and fast. Maybe next time I'm looking for a car I better stop by the Toyota dealer.
Mike- sorry, my post was a little confusing.......I meant that after driving the 535i, getting back behind the wheel of my GS felt like getting back into a nice Toyota ....didn't word it very well. I agree, the M Sport really did feel tight and fast, I enjoyed it a lot. I wish you could get the Cinnamon leather seats in the M Sport, but unfortunately they're only available in the standard 535i.

- Buck
Library: Speakers: Avalon Acoustics Isis, Subwoofers: (2) REL Acoustics 212SE Amplification: D’agostino Momentum preamplifier, D’agostino S250 stereo amplifier Digital: dCS Rossini CD/SACD transport, dCS Rossini DAC/streamer/master clock. Analog: Brinkmann Taurus table, Lyra Etna Lambda, Audio Research Ref. Phono 3
Old 11-24-2014, 10:44 PM

Like most things it's going to come down to personal taste. When looking for a car for Yolanda we looked at and drive many including the three you are considering. In the end my wife likes the Mercedes E350 best, we found a sport model with the AMG styling package. She tells me almost every day how much she loves it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2-Channel System: Luxman L590Aii, D-05 CD/SACD ,VPI Classic 3 (Rolling Stone photo shoot table), VPI SDS, Shelter 501 MKII , Wilson Audio Duette,Shunyata Denali 6000T, Anaconda Zitron, Alpha Digital, and Black Mamba power cables, Tara Labs RSC Air 2 speaker wire, RSC Prime M1 IC's.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:06 AM

Can't speak to the Merc, but IMO BMW has forgotten it's roots. I'm currently driving an E60 535i (still), simply because the current F10 535i was uninspiring enough to prevent me from keeping with their current model. Driving the new F10 when it was first released made me feel as if I was transported into something entirely different. Despite it's beauty inside and out, it was definitely not the ultimate driving machine for me.

I've since driven a M550d (imported) which was a step in the right direction, but not enough to part with the cost of entry. My independent loaned me his 2003 E39 540i (manual), and I instantly fell in love with the classic BMW handling again. I'm sad to see that it has been lost to the bloated designs required for security and protection today.

I once swore I'd never purchase an Audi again due to abysmal past quality, but after seeing the new 2015 S6 (pop-up screen wart and all) I'm seriously reconsidering it. We'll see what a test drive yields.

As always with cars, forget what you read and let your butt do the talking.
Old 11-25-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerkj View Post
Can't speak to the Merc, but IMO BMW has forgotten it's roots. I'm currently driving an E60 535i (still), simply because the current F10 535i was uninspiring enough to prevent me from keeping with their current model. Driving the new F10 when it was first released made me feel as if I was transported into something entirely different. Despite it's beauty inside and out, it was definitely not the ultimate driving machine for me.

I've since driven a M550d (imported) which was a step in the right direction, but not enough to part with the cost of entry. My independent loaned me his 2003 E39 540i (manual), and I instantly fell in love with the classic BMW handling again. I'm sad to see that it has been lost to the bloated designs required for security and protection today.

I once swore I'd never purchase an Audi again due to abysmal past quality, but after seeing the new 2015 S6 (pop-up screen wart and all) I'm seriously reconsidering it. We'll see what a test drive yields.

As always with cars, forget what you read and let your butt do the talking.
well said about the butt doing the talking! personally I had 4 BMW and could only aware by them ... until I tried the Audi 2014 S6 ... so of course i switched, and mod my S6 with the RS6 chip ! Why not!

Old 11-25-2014, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
Mike- sorry, my post was a little confusing.......I meant that after driving the 535i, getting back behind the wheel of my GS felt like getting back into a nice Toyota ....didn't word it very well. I agree, the M Sport really did feel tight and fast, I enjoyed it a lot. I wish you could get the Cinnamon leather seats in the M Sport, but unfortunately they're only available in the standard 535i.

- Buck
You had me scared for a second
Old 11-25-2014, 10:51 AM

One of my close friends has a 2014 A6 and he doesn't like it. He previously had a BMW 535 and liked that much better. He will be ending his lease early and getting an E350 or 535.