AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Automobiles

Automobiles Need for Speed

Old 11-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy3107 View Post
I will say I'm not a big fan of That dang pop up screen on the Audi.......very distracting for an otherwise great cockpit.

- Buck
That and the relatively low front seat, I thought I was sitting in a go-cart. I drove all the brands and models that have been mentioned and I still bought another new Lexus based on overall quality, performance, and price.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:48 AM

I have owned all 3 in the past but have only driven the newest BMW 5 and I thought it was pretty bad. It was soft and the details were very basic. I hated it. Haven't looked at a Benz in a long time but all their cars seem to be "chromed" out. The Audi looks awesome and their cabins are class leading IMO. My gut tells me the Audi would be the best driver of the 3. A bit firm and tight. Forget the service interval deal as it really amounts to a few oil changes. Do you want that to determine what car you buy?
In the end they are probably all pretty close to most buyers and for me the best dealer of the 3 would be a huge factor in my decision ( I live in a area where there are only one dealer of each brand within a 75 mile drive).
Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 AM
That's a Deusy !

BMW all the way
Marantz( UD8004,AV8802a ), Oppo udp 203 JLAudio Fathom F-110, B&W( 802 series III , FCMS8, SCMS8) . WireWorld Eclipse 6 xlr(7) Sliver Eclipse 5.2 HDMI (3) electra 5.2 powercords . HRS Nimbus , lg 55 Oled Nvidia Shield PS Audio PPP

System 2 Panasonic G25 Marantz av8003
Old 11-24-2014, 11:41 AM

Well, driven all 4, the Lexus G350 (fast, soft, road handling so-so), BM535i (fast, solid but pricy over here, a little way out for the stuff they have build it) Audi A6 (tank like, so-so performance and so-so in build stuff) Merc E400 Avantgarde/AMG kit, value for money, viz-a viz performance as well as niceties. Would have gotten the E63 AMG if not for the horrible asking price over here - S$550k.

So far, after 6 months, the E400 had not disappointed in terms of road holding, power and speed. Fastest of the 4 tested. Thats my view (used to be love BM until they start pricing themselve way out over here).

Thats my experience on the cars offered over here.

Cheers!
SACD/DAC: Luxman D-10x
Server: Roon Nucleus+ 8TB SSD + Plixir Elite LPS
Bluray: ModWright Oppo UDP205
Amps: Air Tight ATC-5/ATM300R/ATH-3
Speakers: Avantgarde Uno XD Piano Black/Stealth Grey
Cables & Interconnects: Audience Au24 SX Series
Power Conditioner: Audience aR6 OX
Rack & Amp Stands: Audio-Philar

Last edited by JSCC; 11-24-2014 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:33 PM

I purchased a 1995 BMW 540i M-Sport in 1996. Six speed with 282 horsepower. Still drives live a dream. Unbelievably solid car now has 135K miles. They are faster now with larger engines but too much extra stuff. My car would have been upper 4s for 0-60 and is limited to 155 mph, but provides all the power, speed and excitement I could ask for. My next car will be a M5 or a 911, but no car payment for the last 15 years has been nice
Old 11-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Music Lover

We bought a Mercedes E350 for my wife last year. She loves it and says it's the best car she has ever had. Her previous two cars were BMW 528's.
I wanted her to get a new BMW 535, because the new BMW 528's are 4 cylinder and the drive felt like a compact rental car, awful IMO. The BMW 535 felt more like her past BMW's, the BMW 550 felt even better. I love the way a BMW feels when you drive it, very sporty.
Both these cars feel/drive so different. It's personal preference. As I said, she loves her Mercedes and has no regrets. The interior of the Mercedes is more luxurious.
Mcintosh MC205,MX150,MS300,MVP871,Pioneer BDP-51FD,Roku,Pioneer Signature Elite 141,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Cremonas
Two Channel Room
Mcintosh MC501's,C2300,MCD500, ClearAudio Emotion TT,Furman It-Reference15,Sonus Faber Elipsas,Sonos Connect
Old 11-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Learning to Listen

I've owned an Audi A4. Now I have two BMW 328 xi in the driveway. I keep trying Audi's and keep going the other way. I loved the A4 back when, but now seem to gravitate to the BMW line. Just personal preference.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:56 PM
Life is beautiful

All marvelous cars.
Drove some Mercs, some BMWs, own now 2 Audis.
An A6 and an A5.
But this was just personal preference.
It could have gone the other way, but my wife and I wanted 4-wheel drive on our convertible.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 PM

Probably a bit biased (as I own a IS250), but give me the Lexus GS anytime.

Don't know how it is in the USA, but in Europe you see Audi/BMW/Mercedes on every corner, with Lexus that's not the case (except maybe for the CT200)
Old 11-24-2014, 05:58 PM

mercedes - the bigger the engine, the better. e500 is great.