AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 12-09-2009, 11:14 PM

Default Epson 8100

I was thinking of selling my Hitachi PJ-TX100 projector and buying an Epson 8100.Approx $1500.00 My salesperson said it would be a noticeable upgrade. strictly for watching movies on my 96" view sonic screen.
Any opinions on this projector?
Sad to see my model hitachi selling for on ebay for less than $200.00.
Maybe im better of just buying the largest tv I can get. I seen a Mitsubishi 82" 1080p 120Hz DLP HDTV @$4999.99. Probably hold its resale value better.
I bought my Hitachi 2 years ago and only used about 8 hrs on it before I had to move, now that Im setting up my basement again for home theater I was thinking of upgrading my projector but wow what a hit. that's a major depreciation in value.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:31 PM

I feel your pain. I think the DLP RP TV's are on the way out, so I wouldn't go in that direction. I'd take a very close look and see how 'film like' the LCD Epson is compared to your DLP Hitachi. Watch at least a few movies with it.

I have seen the Epson, and it is a solid machine. There is a lot of competition in this class, like the HC-4000. There is a certain quality to the mid-tones in these projectors that somehow looks a little artificial to me. It's like the difference between a print and an oil painting. Nothing is wrong, there is just some dimensionality missing.

For movies, mid-tone color rendering and black levels are what ultimately will make for the best movie experience. Sure one is a 1080p 3-chip LCD and the other is a 720p DLP. For movies, the absolute resolution may be less important that other things. If you can handle the black levels on your Epson, why not use it for a few years until LCOS comes down in price and/or the LED projectors mature? Because it will be the same story in 2 years with the Epson as it is now with the Hitachi.

Confession: I'm still using an 8" CRT projector while the price/performance of the high end digitals settles out.
Proac Response 1sc Rears,
Three MC2301's for L,C,R
MC 602 for the rears
C 1100, MX 151, MCD 1100, MR 80
Nottingham Dais with Wave Mechanic
Sumiko Palo Santos Presentation

SurfacePro 3, RPi 4, ROON, WW Starlight Platinum USB, Schiit Yggdrasil, Benchmark DAC3 HGC

MX 151, OppO BDP-95, JVC RS-500 DILA projector, 106" diagonal Stewart Luxus Screenwall Deluxe with Studiotek 130 G3 material.

Lake House:
Ohm F, MC 275V, C2300, MR 77, Rega P3

OnDeck:
McIntosh MAC 4300v
Old 12-20-2009, 07:36 PM

I agree, who knows by then t.v.'s could be 100" slim's. There getting bigger and thinner every year. I think I seen a 72" t.v. at the local store. Not the greatest picture but there making them. I think the price was $4000.00
Old 12-20-2009, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crytklmass View Post
I agree, who knows by then t.v.'s could be 100" slim's. There getting bigger and thinner every year. I think I seen a 72" t.v. at the local store. Not the greatest picture but there making them. I think the price was $4000.00
Panasonic has had a 103" plasma out for at least a year now. If you want to see one go to Paulson's they have had it on their wall for awhile. Be prepared to drop some serious change though. List price is about $70k.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:21 PM

Holy Crap!!! I was trying to stay in the same price range... lol
Old 12-22-2009, 08:25 PM

Yeah the Sony 70" XBR is just under $15k. The price of the large ones is crazy.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:13 PM

I have the Epson 8500UB so I can't comment on the 8100 specifically, but let me say this: 82" is small. :P I think you will miss the size.

I just got my projector and I've been playing with screen size to determine what felt best. I'm 10ft away from a 16:9 "screen" and I'm projecting an image of about 106" diagonal. This is admittedly bigger than the recommended size, but honestly, I don't find it uncomfortable at all and the immersion is great. I'm not the type that enjoys the front seat at movie theaters either. I always hate being that close.

A couple movies were a bit uncomfortable to watch for certain scenes because they used "shaky cam" technique. The opening car chase in Quantum of Solace and a couple scenes in Star Trek were like this. I saw QoS in the theater seated in a middle position and remember feeling the same thing there, however. It's just uncomfortable to watch on any screen that's large, even when you're sitting within recommended distances. Anyway, it took me less than 10 seconds to reach up and drop the screen size a bit. By contrast, the aspect ratio changes for city shots in The Dark Knight were incredible. I saw TDK in the imax and it felt pretty damned close on my home screen. I've been thrilled with the purchase overall.