AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Video

Video Projectors, video processors, & screens

Old 07-03-2014, 03:37 PM
♫ Now playing... ♫

Default End of the line for Samsung plasma TV's

Samsung confirmed Thursday that it was shutting down its plasma TV business "due to changes in market demands," choosing instead to focus on curved and ultra-high-definition models that use LED technology.

-- Plasma TVs are just about dead
McIntosh MX150, C2300, MC601 (5), MC207, MCD12000, MR88, MPC1500, LB100, MCLK12. Anthem AVM 90. Lumin U1. Bluesound Node. Oppo 205. Bowers & Wilkins 800 D3, CWM8.3D, CCM7.5 S2. SVS SB16-Ultra (4). Shunyata. Wireworld. Transparent. GIK.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Semi-audiophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweet View Post
Samsung confirmed Thursday that it was shutting down its plasma TV business "due to changes in market demands," choosing instead to focus on curved and ultra-high-definition models that use LED technology.

-- Plasma TVs are just about dead
Which is just a fancy LCD to me, and despite their improvements, LED sets suffer from many of the same issues that plague regular LCD such as off-axis viewing and motion resolution issues which require refresh rates that render the dreaded (to some) video look to film.

I plan to keep my PRO-111FD Kuro for as long as it works and when the time comes, get whatever I can afford that fits my budget and needs. Maybe the industry will have its act together by then.
SOTA, Grado, SME, Van den Hul, Gingko turntable setup; Pioneer Elite LD, BDP; Sony OLED TV; Magnum Dynalab tuner, antenna; MIT S-video cable; Pangea HDMI cables; DVDO video processor; McIntosh SACD, preamp, power amps; Telefunken Black Diamond preamp tubes; Kimber IC; Transparent IC, PC, SC; Mirage speakers; PS Audio, Shunyata PC; Audio Additives RCA caps; Furman power conditioning; Sanus: racks
Old 07-04-2014, 02:48 PM
The Eagles are back.

This is terrible news for plasma lovers. First was Pioneer, then Panasonic and now Samsung.

Many people swear by plasma. I guess I'm the only person who swore at it.

Those who still own any of the Pioneer Kuro models say they were and still are the very best hdtv's ever made.
Old 07-07-2014, 04:44 AM

This is sad news. I always thought that my next TV would be a plasma. One less reason to change my current one.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 PM

As a Samsung plasma owner this is sad news indeed. The only thing that I lamented
after buying my 50 inch was that I did not get a bigger one... I wished I had the
(small) luxury of moving it to my bedroom (doesn't fit) and get a 65 inch to replace it
(not in the market for one).
Main: Mc C2200 (Telefunkens) and MC207, Spectral DMA-180, Marantz AV8805A, JL Audio CR-1 and SAv2, Sony ST-SA5ES, TC-KA3ES and MDS-JA50ES, Oppo UDP-205 and BDP-103D, Bryson BDA-3, Magnum Dynalab FM Signal Sleuth, Remedy, PS Audio P12, Pioneer DT-555,
Samsung 65" QLED TV 8K, JBL 4311B, M&K MX125II on Ultra SS Stillpoints, B&W HTM2D2, CCM7.3 S2, CCM683
Office: Sony TA-F700ES (Mod), MDS-JA50ES (Mod) and SEQ-333ES, Accuphase T-107B, Bryston BDA-3, BHA-1 and BUC-1, Audeze LCD-4, Linn Tukan, REL T7 on Ultra SS Stillpoints, PC Server (16 TB)

Mobile:Audison bit One Virtuoso HD, bit Play HD, Amps and speakers.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:21 PM

I was very close to purchasing a Samsung 64F8500 but wanted something a bit larger with 4K content capability.

The Sammie stacked up well in my comparison.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 PM

I missed the boat buying a Panasonic plasma last year when they stopped production. I currently have a 6-year old 60" Pioneer Kuro that I hope lasts until OLEDs become affordable, but I'm temped to buy the 64" Samsung F8500 series just to have it on hand as a backup.