AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 PM

Dan, NO DOUBT.... best of all!!!
Old 11-16-2009, 11:34 PM

Wow, all these pictures are getting me excited to go to another concert!

C500, MX123, MC501 (2), MC207, MCD500,
Silenzio, Bryston BDA3, Shunyata Denali 6000/S,
Panasonic UB900, Canton Reference 3K,
Canton Reference 50K, Fresco, Descent
Old 11-16-2009, 11:52 PM
Merry Christmas to all

The sound reinforcement system at Massachusetts' Ball State University’s Scheumann Stadium was recently upgraded with fourteen JBL Variable Line Array (VLA) speakers. The VLA, in a five-four-five left center right side by side configuration, were mounted on top of the scoreboard at one end of the field. These fourteen speakers provide sound to the whole field. JBL does sports, too.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-17-2009, 12:06 AM
Merry Christmas to all

JBL works for the BOSS. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band are currently touring, and JBL is there. Live Sound International | Working For The Boss: The future of live sound is all about control

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 11-17-2009, 05:35 AM

JBL has been losing market share. Pros are moving to Meyer.
http://www.meyersound.com/applications/livesound/

Last edited by wpines; 11-17-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 10:56 AM

So is Meyer the "New Sound of Live Music"?

Meyer Sound Applications: Live Sound
Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Merry Christmas to all

wpines.......There will always be other players in the pro sound arena. I agree that no one company does it all, but that wasn't my point.

My original point was submitted as as alternate view of what live music sound really is, verses the plethora of discussions with regard to high-end audio speakers for home use that are claimed to sound most like live music. It has been said more than once that to know what you are talking about with regard to speakers in your home audio system you must know what live music sounds like. I chose to showcase JBL because they are a major player worldwide in the production of live music performances. Live music is not being performed using large multiple arrays of McIntosh speakers and subs, or Sonus Faber, Focal, Klipsch, Wilson, Hansen, PMC, Dynaudio, Quad, Martin Logan, MBL, Snell, JL Audio, or any other home audio speakers. The sound of LIVE music is JBL, Electro-Voice, Meyer, and others. I think I made a good point.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdandy View Post
wpines.......There will always be other players in the pro sound arena. I agree that no one company does it all, but that wasn't my point.

My original point was submitted as as alternate view of what live music sound really is, verses the plethora of discussions with regard to high-end audio speakers for home use that are claimed to sound most like live music. It has been said more than once that to know what you are talking about with regard to speakers in your home audio system you must know what live music sounds like. I chose to showcase JBL because they are a major player worldwide in the production of live music performances. Live music is not being performed using large multiple arrays of McIntosh speakers and subs, or Sonus Faber, Focal, Klipsch, Wilson, Hansen, PMC, Dynaudio, Quad, Martin Logan, MBL, Snell, JL Audio, or any other home audio speakers. The sound of LIVE music is JBL, Electro-Voice, Meyer, and others. I think I made a good point.
Dan, most of the speakers you mentioned are very small companies that could never meet the kind of volume and pricing structure needed. They are companies that build speakers for connoisseurs for home use with respect to outmost performance in terms of cabinets, drivers, crossovers, etc... Just because you hear JBL or Meyer at live venues, it doesn't mean it is the pinnacle of music reproduction. Those speakers are built with high SPL's in mind and to be able to meet them with low distortion. Now, imagine a live venue with speakers from the same companies you mentioned, if such a thing was possible and whatever it would cost.

In fact, even though I do enjoy a live venue with amplified music here and there, I get much more satisfaction listening at home. Often, live amplified music sounds too loud, harsh and fatiguing.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM

Now if they would teach the guys working the boards at those concerts how to make the sound coming out of the speakers worth hearing. I have not been to a concert in a long time whose sound wasn't too heavy on the bass, with the midrange and vocals unintelligible. If you don't know the song, good luck trying to understand the words.

I think the need for loud has killed the quest for quality live amplified sound.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Merry Christmas to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
Dan, most of the speakers you mentioned are very small companies that could never meet the kind of volume and pricing structure needed. They are companies that build speakers for connoisseurs for home use with respect to outmost performance in terms of cabinets, drivers, crossovers, etc... Just because you hear JBL or Meyer at live venues, it doesn't mean it is the pinnacle of music reproduction. Those speakers are built with high SPL's in mind and to be able to meet them with low distortion. Now, imagine a live venue with speakers from the same companies you mentioned, if such a thing was possible and whatever it would cost.

In fact, even though I do enjoy a live venue with amplified music here and there, I get much more satisfaction listening at home. Often, live amplified music sounds too loud, harsh and fatiguing.
Serge.......Again, my point is simply that the sound of live music is different than reproduced music. I am not speaking at all about the pinnacle of music reproduction in a home system, or cabinets, drivers, crossovers, etc. I am not attempting to begin another discussion on the merits of home audio speakers built by prestigious high-end home audio manufacturers compared to speakers manufactured for pro sound reproduction in live venues.