AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 12-30-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vahe View Post
One question regarding the recent JBL speakers, K2, S3900, S4700, etc.
What happens when these speakers need woofer surrounds? Where and how can one obtain parts for these hard to find drivers.

I have a DIY 4350's and the cones have been changed once, but 2235 woofers and their parts are readily available, I am not sure if the same is true of these more modern monitors and their components.

Vahe
Good question. I contacted tech support for JBL Synthesis and I heard back in a matter of days. Pretty good response there. I wanted technical info on the S4700s.

Here is the email: csupport@harman.com

I hope this helps.Take care and good luck!
Old 12-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
I was very suprised. It didn't have that horn sound I was expecting. Very smooth top end with a well integrated bottom end.

Why I am interested in JBL is it is one of a few speakers that can actually reproduce accurate bass and drums.

Most other speakers I have auditioned compress drums. The s3900 was great it only had 20 hours on it but I was impressed enough to organize another listen. They have the 4365 and K2s9900 as well.
I got some technical info on the S4700s from JBL. If you want me to, I can either pm you or email you this info.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:14 AM

Had a listen to the 4365 today. Thought they were fantastic. Much better than the S3900. The dealer likes them more than the 4700.

First time in a long time I have heard a speaker accurately reproduce a live drum kit.

They had the Sonus Faber Ex3ema there as well. We compared them both. We all felt the JBl out performed the SF in every way.

If you can live with the look of the JBL ( which I can I love the retro look ) it is a bargain.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Had a listen to the 4365 today. Thought they were fantastic. Much better than the S3900. The dealer likes them more than the 4700.

First time in a long time I have heard a speaker accurately reproduce a live drum kit.

They had the Sonus Faber Ex3ema there as well. We compared them both. We all felt the JBl out performed the SF in every way.

If you can live with the look of the JBL ( which I can I love the retro look ) it is a bargain.
That's cool. Glad you enjoyed them. I thought so. The 4365 uses better drivers overall. Sonus Fabers are ok, but they don't have to dynamics of JBL, imo. How much are the 4365s may I ask?
Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 PM

They retail for $20k aus. I can get them for over 30% off
Old 12-31-2014, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
They retail for $20k aus. I can get them for over 30% off
Nice! Sounds great. Are you going to buy them then?
Old 12-31-2014, 08:19 PM

Going to spend an afternoon with them next week. I am a bit worried that they might be too big for my room ( 4.5m x 6.5m). Tough they don't sound "boomy" and I play at low levels which these do with no compression.

Would also like to hear the 4429 but they don't have any in stock.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Going to spend an afternoon with them next week. I am a bit worried that they might be too big for my room ( 4.5m x 6.5m). Tough they don't sound "boomy" and I play at low levels which these do with no compression.

Well, that's cool. Exactly. No boom or compression from those babies! Just flat frequency response, high dynamic range, and great imaging.

The 4365s are finally here in the US. There's a part of me that wishes that I should have waited. Hindsights 20/20, you know? And the s4700s are no slouches. I'm not at liberty to sell them, not now anyway.
Old 01-01-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:

I have 4429 and I am very satisfied with the horn sound.

I would go with 4365, it is always better to have big speaker in a room than small. I have the other way around, small speaker in a big room, but have to say that 4429 does a pretty good job, has a huge punchy sound, the bass is tight and great neutral sound. I am still amazed how good it sounds.

I had McIntosh MC252 in Mono Bridged mode but change to one Crown DCi 2/600N for no particular reason

I have always liked JBL sound.

It seem that I can't post pictures here or link to other forums. If interested you can read it at Lansing Heritage in "My new JBL 4429" thread.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:23 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
I have 4429 and I am very satisfied with the horn sound.

I would go with 4365, it is always better to have big speaker in a room than small. I have the other way around, small speaker in a big room, but have to say that 4429 does a pretty good job, has a huge punchy sound, the bass is tight and great neutral sound. I am still amazed how good it sounds.

I had McIntosh MC252 in Mono Bridged mode but change to one Crown DCi 2/600N for no particular reason

I have always liked JBL sound.

It seem that I can't post pictures here or link to other forums. If interested you can read it at Lansing Heritage in "My new JBL 4429" thread.

Nice. That's a great speaker, as all of the JBL Synthesis models are. It just depends which flavor you like, imo. Not to say they have colorations, but to say that the differences are a good thing. It really depends on your budget and how high in the lineup you can go.