AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 12-18-2014, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiiii View Post
I don't think its the driver that determines the sound we hear as an individual part. . The horn that couples the driver to room and the choice of crossover parameters also influences the sound. The choice of tweeter if there is one can make or break the sound of a midrange horn. And a lot of the sound contributed to a horn is actually shared or is mostly the upper ranges of the woofer. And if that sound isn't correct the whole production chain of sound is a failure. And though the diaphragm is a part of the driver, different diaphragms with the same driver makes it an entirely new reproducer. If making diaphragms were easy; then, why do nock off diaphragms never sound right?
I agree with you.
Old 12-18-2014, 08:03 PM

With the right gear and set up I have heard the JBLs sound very good. A very over looked speaker in North America
Old 12-20-2014, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garth View Post
With the right gear and set up I have heard the JBLs sound very good. A very over looked speaker in North America
This is true. I'm doing my best here online to turn more audiophiles on to the JBL Synthesis line. But, it's hard as people are set in their ways and believe half truths and outright lies as the truth. There's quite a few misconceptions when it comes to JBL.
Old 12-26-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_72 View Post

This is true. I'm doing my best here online to turn more audiophiles on to the JBL Synthesis line. But, it's hard as people are set in their ways and believe half truths and outright lies as the truth. There's quite a few misconceptions when it comes to JBL.
Do you still use the s4700? I'm hoping to audition them in the next week
Old 12-26-2014, 04:50 PM

Yes. Cool, let me/us know what your findings are.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Yes. Cool, let me/us know what your findings are.
Well they sold the s4700 before I had a chance to listen to them. I did manage to get to hear the s3900 and I was very pleasantly suprised.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:17 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
Well they sold the s4700 before I had a chance to listen to them. I did manage to get to hear the s3900 and I was very pleasantly suprised.
Yeah, I hate when that happens! That's cool, that's a good speaker too. It's comparable to the the s4700. What were your impressions?
Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM

Quote:

Yeah, I hate when that happens! That's cool, that's a good speaker too. It's comparable to the the s4700. What were your impressions?
I was very suprised. It didn't have that horn sound I was expecting. Very smooth top end with a well integrated bottom end.

Why I am interested in JBL is it is one of a few speakers that can actually reproduce accurate bass and drums.

Most other speakers I have auditioned compress drums. The s3900 was great it only had 20 hours on it but I was impressed enough to organize another listen. They have the 4365 and K2s9900 as well.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsholl1 View Post
I was very suprised. It didn't have that horn sound I was expecting. Very smooth top end with a well integrated bottom end.

Why I am interested in JBL is it is one of a few speakers that can actually reproduce accurate bass and drums.

Most other speakers I have auditioned compress drums. The s3900 was great it only had 20 hours on it but I was impressed enough to organize another listen. They have the 4365 and K2s9900 as well.
Exactly. No horn sound in these babies. That's why I was interested initially too. They did? Nice. I would check those out too, particularly the 4365 as there's some similarities to the s4700. On paper it looks to be the better speaker as well. The K2s are excellent, but the price here in the US is a bit much for what they do, imo.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:11 PM

One question regarding the recent JBL speakers, K2, S3900, S4700, etc.
What happens when these speakers need woofer surrounds? Where and how can one obtain parts for these hard to find drivers.

I have a DIY 4350's and the cones have been changed once, but 2235 woofers and their parts are readily available, I am not sure if the same is true of these more modern monitors and their components.

Vahe