JL Audio Ahead of the Curve

Old 06-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Against the Tide

Default Carl Kennedy “the Alchemist”

Carl Kennedy “the Alchemist”
JL Audio’s Director of Home Products
about | the professional answer
Old 06-02-2009, 09:56 AM

I thought Owsley Stanley, aka the Bear, was "the Alchemist." Aside from his chemistry adventures he was one of the people behind Alembic Sound, an alembic being the retort in which alchemical reactions occurs. Alembic was the sound company spawned by the experiments in sound reinforcement conducted by the Grateful Dead which eventually led to the McIntosh powered Wall of Sound. One of Bear's credos was to make the sound in the house equivalent to the sound the musicians created on-stage, so that the alchemical magic of improvisational music could impact and be impacted by the audience- a sort of musical mind-meld.

Mr. Kennedy may be the new Alchemist, and he is certain known for his companies acclaimed sub-woofers, but let's remember who the original sound alchemists were.

/diatribe
Old 06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
Merry Christmas to all

klipschfan.......No doubt about it, Carl has a long list of credentials, and a mountain of experience. His years as a professional musician, and recording engineer have provided him an accurate yardstick with which to measure the quality of home and pro audio systems.

STUDIO - McIntosh C1000C/P, MC2301 (2), MR88, Aurender N10, Esoteric K-01X, Shunyata Sigma spdif digital cable, Sonos Connect, PurePower 2000, Stillpoints, Furutech Flux 50, Michell Gyro SE, Michell HR Power Supply, SME 309, Ortofon Cadenza Black, Wireworld, Sonus faber Amati Anniversario
LIVING ROOM - McIntosh C2300, MC75 (2), MR85, Magnum Dynalab 205, Simaudio MOON Neo 260D-T, Schiit Audio Yggdrasil, Aurender N100H, Shunyata Sigma USB cable, Micro Seiki DD40, Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Nakamichi BX-300, Sony 60ES DAT, PS Audio P10, Furutech Flux 50, Sonos Connect, Stillpoints, Wireworld, Kimber, PMC EB1i, JL Audio f113
VINTAGE - McIntosh MA230, Tandberg 3011A tuner, Olive 04HD, Sony DTC-59ES DAT, McIntosh 4300V, JBL 4312A
Old 06-03-2009, 12:16 AM

He lost me on the suggestion of running a high x-over up to 125hz next to the mains.
Implying the JL plays better then some of the most expensive speakers.
We spoke many times and I tried it in my HT room.
I tried it, but the sound of my McIntosh speakers went down hill (To my cauliflower ear, opinion). It killed the notes air and decay.
JL's Manvill (sp) got me back on track for my HT room. (70 to 80 hz)

I did/do, enjoy reading his blog, for new ideas/ and out of the box thinking.

Carls partial blog below if interested on the high x-over pluses. Below

"Most often I have found myself using a crossover point of 100Hz but on rare occasions I have gone as high as 125Hz utilizing a JL Audio f112 sub. I use any number of quality satellite, electrostatic or full-range main speakers depending on application and budget. Most importantly, I co-locate a JL Audio subwoofer with each respective main speaker. Ideally the sub is on the same plane as the main speaker’s baffle (although not necessary) and I fine-tune the phase relationship between the sub and main speaker and with the phase control on the JL Audio sub to get a seamless blend. This approach requires two things specifically, they must be JL Audio subwoofers because of their extraordinary performance and secondly, two subwoofers must be used. Lastly, they must be located close to their respective main speakers and only in the front of the room. This will make the subwoofer behave as part of the main speaker becoming a true hybrid of the sat/sub approach and the full-range speaker approach. We have taken the best of both philosophies and thrown-out the shortcomings associated with each in common practices. I will be posting plenty of information on subwoofer placement in other articles and covering both the attributes of using two subs and the need for keeping them exclusively at the front of the room. For now you will just have to take my word for it. I doubt that anyone has more time in on this subject than I do and, I know that this works best for the vast majority of high-end applications. Can you find rare exceptions to this rule? Of course, almost everything has an exception.
"

If this worked for someone else please let me know?
Thanks

Last edited by KingRT; 06-03-2009 at 12:18 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
He lost me on the suggestion of running a high x-over up to 125hz next to the mains.
Implying the JL plays better then some of the most expensive speakers.
We spoke many times and I tried it in my HT room.
I tried it, but the sound of my McIntosh speakers went down hill (To my cauliflower ear, opinion). It killed the notes air and decay.
JL's Manvill (sp) got me back on track for my HT room. (70 to 80 hz)

I did/do, enjoy reading his blog, for new ideas/ and out of the box thinking.

Carls partial blog below if interested on the high x-over pluses. Below

"Most often I have found myself using a crossover point of 100Hz but on rare occasions I have gone as high as 125Hz utilizing a JL Audio f112 sub. I use any number of quality satellite, electrostatic or full-range main speakers depending on application and budget. Most importantly, I co-locate a JL Audio subwoofer with each respective main speaker. Ideally the sub is on the same plane as the main speaker’s baffle (although not necessary) and I fine-tune the phase relationship between the sub and main speaker and with the phase control on the JL Audio sub to get a seamless blend. This approach requires two things specifically, they must be JL Audio subwoofers because of their extraordinary performance and secondly, two subwoofers must be used. Lastly, they must be located close to their respective main speakers and only in the front of the room. This will make the subwoofer behave as part of the main speaker becoming a true hybrid of the sat/sub approach and the full-range speaker approach. We have taken the best of both philosophies and thrown-out the shortcomings associated with each in common practices. I will be posting plenty of information on subwoofer placement in other articles and covering both the attributes of using two subs and the need for keeping them exclusively at the front of the room. For now you will just have to take my word for it. I doubt that anyone has more time in on this subject than I do and, I know that this works best for the vast majority of high-end applications. Can you find rare exceptions to this rule? Of course, almost everything has an exception.
"

If this worked for someone else please let me know?
Thanks
Sounds right to me. That is very similar to what I did in my system when I had the monitor speakers from Sonus Faber except I also used an active crossover to eliminate the speaker's bottom end from the equation. Sort of castration with a reattachment of much bigger set of b@lls....
Old 06-03-2009, 01:50 AM

Great referral!

I thought you had a low x-over hz, with your SF speakers or was that on the initial hookup?
What Hz crossover did you end with on what you considered the perfect SF sound?

I am afraid to lose clarity and transparency with the SF speakers (which I have grown to love) and a high x-over.
Did not notice any negatives?
We are essentially changing the SF speakers entire design of the speaker's sound. The cabinet, drivers and crossover work in synchronicity.

I do not know this yet, but instead asking??
Before my next investment.

Last edited by KingRT; 06-03-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingRT View Post
Great referral!

I thought you had a low x-over hz, with your SF speakers or was that on the initial hookup?
What Hz crossover did you end with on what you considered the perfect SF sound?

I am afraid to lose clarity and transparency with the SF speakers (which I have grown to love) and a high x-over.
Did not notice any negatives?
We are essentially changing the SF speakers entire design of the speaker's sound. The cabinet, drivers and crossover work in synchronicity.

I do not know this yet, but instead asking??
Before my next investment.
With the SF GM's, I was running between 75-100Hz finally settling at 100Hz towards the end and also sparing the 501s from having to deal with the large impedance swings of the SF GMs. The JLs didn't even break a sweat with those impedance swings and the system sounded the best it ever did. Don't worry about the transparency and "synchronicity" the speakers will appreciate not having to deal with the low bass from its mid-bass drivers. The Bryston is an audiophile grade x/o and has little to no sonic impact on the system. I didn't hear any negative effects in terms of transparency but I did hear an improvement in overall coherence and clarity since the mid-bass driver had less to do and there was less intermodulation distortion.