AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > JBL Audio

JBL Audio Legendary Performance

Old 01-04-2018, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Mati - were they NOS (new, old stock)? Can't find them on JBL's website and am wondering if they are still in production.
http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/id_4429.html
Old 01-05-2018, 05:59 PM
Retired

Thanks. When you google JBL speakers all you get is their junk or pro stuff. No link to the Synthesis line.
Assume the weight is for each speaker? If so, almost identical in weight to the Yamaha NS-1000 monitor (70#) of yore. Like one of the reviews I've read, am guessing they would work well in the near-field with the E-270.

LOW-FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER 300mm pure-pulp cone woofer 1200FE-8
HIGH-FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER 50mm titanium diaphragm 175Nd-3
ULTRAHIGH-FREQUENCY TRANSDUCER 19mm titanium diaphragm 138Nd
RECOMMENDED AMPLIFIER POWER 200 watts RMS
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 40Hz – 45kHz (–6dB)
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 6 ohms
SENSITIVITY 91dB (2.83V/1m)
CROSSOVER FREQUENCIES 800Hz, 7kHz
CONTROLS Attenuators for MF and HF drivers
ENCLOSURE TYPE 25mm (1")-thick MDF (medium-density fibreboard) stock, ported
CONNECTOR TYPE Dual gold-plated five-way binding posts
FINISH Topcoated walnut veneer
GRILLE COLOUR Monitor Blue
DIMENSIONS (H X W X D) 635mm x 400mm x 300mm (25" x 15-3/4" x 12")
WEIGHT 32.3kg (71 lb)
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag

Last edited by Formerly YB-2; 01-06-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:29 PM

http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productdetail/id_4429.html

JBL 4367 is the passive crossover version of the M2 which everyone raves about as one of the most accurate speakers ever made.

The M2 is used by Frank Fillepetti (recording engineer for James Taylor).

Not sure how either compare to the 4429.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-05-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:52 AM
Retired

Wonder how these would compare to the Klipsch Forte III? As I listen in the near-field, either would likely work well for me.
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 01-12-2018, 11:11 AM

If you listen to large multi-way speakers in the near field you may experience hearing individual drivers instead of a coherent whole. What is your listening distance? Do you use subs? Do you want deep bass at high SPL's?

IMO, JBL Professional is a better choice than Klipsch.

You might consider the JBL LSR 708P, a true reference monitor.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:08 PM
Retired

Am currently listening at about 7'. Am sure some adjustment would be required for different speakers. IIRC, the 708P is a powered speaker, which would not be something of interest. I don't have to listen in the near-field, but it works well with no room treatments. And, don't want sub(s). Loud for me is 80db+, so horns should fill the bill nicely.
Old 01-12-2018, 08:08 PM

If you are not listening at levels above 80 dB or so, I'd go with Revels. You don't need compression drivers/horns. At 7' you could also use floor standing speakers like the F206 or even F208. They don't take up any more floor space than a monitor on a stand.

F208's are full range, F206's have a bit less low end. The waveguide/tweeter and crossover help them sound like a coherent whole at a close listening distance.

Another nice thing about the Revels (and JBL LSR series) is they sound good in rooms without acoustic treatment because the off axis response is close to the on axis response.

I worked as a recording engineer in many control rooms with a lot of acoustic treatment. My home has none and my F208's sound great.

You can probably increase your listening distance with the right speakers.

Last edited by Rex Anderson; 01-13-2018 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:10 AM
Retired

Hmmmm.......... aren't Revels made in China by a Korean company (Harmon)? With my Japanese electronics (plan to add an Accuphase CDP) I'm wanting to stay with a NA made speaker, if possible, and a venerable name like JBL would be nice. The top of my list is the Devore 0/93, but the Forte III remains in contention and I need to find a pair of the 4429s to listen to, which is proving difficult. There are several other speakers on my radar (JA Pulsar, Wilson Duetto & Sabrina, Vandersteen Treo CT, etc.), so it will likely be a while before I have the opportunity to audition them all. Problem I'm finding is the bricks & mortar stores may carry the line, but not the particular speaker I'm interested in hearing. The search will continue. On the upside, my current JA Cinergy 6.1XL are a modified D'Appolito configuration that provides a very satisfying presentation in the near-field. No sub required for my listening needs, which are primarily jazz & classical at moderate levels.

One problem I have with the 4429 reviews I've found (both appear to be from the UK) is they both talk about how loud the 4429 plays. What I want to know is how they sound at my listening level. Primary reason I want to listen for myself.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:57 PM

Harman owned JBL. Revel is their consumer line. All of Harman was bought by Samsung, thus JBL is now a division of Samsung.

All the design, engineering and testing for both companies is done in the Northridge, CA facility.

Kevin Voecks is the principal Revel designer.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_1...ks-4-2004.html

Revel and the current line of JBL professional speakers are based on the work done by Dr. Floyd Toole. You can read about his decades of reserch in the third edition of his book, "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms".

IMO, you would be remiss to not audition Revel loudspeakers if you care about speakers that sound good and measure well.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...08-loudspeaker
Old 12-06-2018, 08:10 PM

I just came back from Tokyo and was able to sample a pair of 4319, and I loved the sound. I was wondering if the 4429 would be worth the upgrade.

When I heard the 4319, the realism in voices really got me.

I am looking for speakers that excel in vocal and string reproduction.

I also listen to all of the videos on youtube for the 4319 and 4429, and it seems that the 4429 is a bit more refined then the 4319 and improve clarity.