AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > Shooting Sports

Shooting Sports Guns & Ammo

Old 08-28-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterlu View Post
I'm a fairly avid machine gun owner/occasional shooter. I had absolutely no idea this was permissible anywhere.
There are no restrictions in Arizona. Here is an excerpt from a New York Times article on this story...

Quote:
There is nothing illegal about a girl handling an Uzi. In Arizona, there are no age limits for firing guns, and while federal law prohibits people under 18 from possessing a handgun, there are exceptions for shooting ranges, said Laura Cutilletta, senior staff attorney at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence, a legal nonprofit that works to strengthen gun laws.

Some ranges in the area do prohibit young children from handling such heavy weapons, but Last Stop allows children as young as 8 to participate. Bullets and Burgers said on its website that customers could “shoot a wide variety of fully automatic machine and belt fed guns including the AK-47, Colt M-16, MP5/40, FN FAL, Bren, M4, M249, M60, PKM and M203 Grenade Launcher.”
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 AM

Very sorry to hear about this.

Just watched the video on YouTube. The instructor gave the girl a single shot and then went directly to full auto.

Very poor choices and instruction come at a very high price (parents, vendor and instructor).

I introduced my buddy to handguns. He was issued a rifle (no handguns) when he was in the military and his specialty was large scale demolitions (bridges, tanks, buildings, etc.). Even with his military experience and adult stature and strength, started him with classroom training and then progressed to a single round in a revolver.

I don't know why a range instructor would do this with an adult, let alone a child???

Don't know what the parents were thinking either.

Last edited by ths61; 08-28-2014 at 12:46 AM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisAZ View Post
...Look, I'm an advocate for sensible Second Amendment rights, gun safety, training and sensible concealed carry laws. I'm a lawyer that has represented a number of well known firearms manufacturers. I'm also an advocate for sensible gun control. But the incident with the young girl in AZ points out, I think, that no matter how strongly you feel about the second amendment there has to be room for sensible rules and regulations...
Well said, and I agree.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:48 PM
Vinyl, Baby!

I nominated the gun-range instructror for The Darwin Awards.

This is very sad for the girl, who is most likely deeply traumatized because of extremely clueless and irresponsible adults

Last edited by Josquin des Prez; 08-28-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 08-29-2014, 05:44 AM

Looking at some toy train stuff on eBay this morning. In the terms of the auction it said:

Congress enacted the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008 and we must now note that these ARE NOT TOYS, AND ARE NOT INTENDED FOR USE BY CHILDREN UNDER AGE OF 14. These products are Model Railroad Equipment and Accessories intended for use by adults

Amazing that you've got warning notices on toy trains but a 9 year old can shoot an Uzi

Sent from my iPad using A.Aficionado
Old 08-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikado463 View Post
actually, if this is all true, then control was 'lost' when the instructor allowed a nine year old to handle such a weapon………….. there is no known cure for 'stupid' !
Indeed. The instructor was the one who was killed. Posthumous Darwin award candidate. Parents for the living Darwin award. The tragedy is what the 9yr-old will have to live with (includes having to live with her parents).
Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag