AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Marc jmajma View Post
would be curious to know if anyone compared the Bluesound (Node 2i) with those very higher pricey streamers/DAC; what do they bring ? Is it a night and day affair?

Is it the streamer, or the DAC , that makes the difference?

I am in the same state of mind than Jimmy, I could upgrade what I use today: PIONEER N70AE, which has good reviews and good reputation, but I wonder how much it would (or not) improve the sound, that I find to be excellent .

Thank you in advance.
I own a Bluesound Node 2i. It is great for my second system (NAD integrated with B&W CM-1s), but does not cut it in my primary, at least compared to my Naim server (see signature).
Old 12-18-2020, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy64 View Post
I’ve settled in with my new McIntosh MA12000 and Focal Diablo Utopia III and I’m loving the synergy. In this system I’m currently using my BlueSound Vault 2i for streaming. I kinda want to drop a hint to Santa that I’m ready for a streaming unit upgrade. Looking for a Roon Ready device. Highest Res numbers a bonus. And MQA.

I’d love your suggestions/feedback.

Jimmy
Jimmy-

Although I have not heard it, judging from the DAC I had in a 2500 pre amp, The DAC in your MA 1200 I am sure is very, very good. You most likely are then best to go with a streamer without a built in DAC. As another poster mentioned, "if you can for-go MQA" I have been very happy with a Bryston BDA-3.

The BDP-3 does not have a built in hard drive but allows the user to install one. This saves some cash. You can order optional build in WiFi or just run an ethernet cable to a WiFi extender or directly to you router/switch. It can be used as a ROON endpoint.

As I have mentioned before, in my experience, the sound quality of ripped files and Qobuz was not as good using ROON compared to the Bryston software. ROON SQ may be improved by running a dedicated ROON server directly to the Bryston via ethernet however. Also, Bryston customer support is second to none.

Enjoy the Hunt!
Old 12-18-2020, 08:17 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

I'm going to give the Auralic G2.1 a spin.

Last edited by JBT; 12-19-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:45 PM

Location: Lago Vista Texas Downtown Austin and Frisco Colorado

The Computer Audiophile loves the Auralic G2.1. He put it on the Cash list.

https://audiophilestyle.com/ca/revie...ries-g21-r965/
Old 12-19-2020, 02:13 AM
Listener in Training

Quote:
I began to compare and here are my preliminary results:

Bluesound Node 2i: 549 euros, I don't know the brand of the DAC, anyone?
Pioneer N70AE: 1600 euros ESS SABRE 9016 DAC embedded
McINTOSH MDA 1000 : around 10000 euros.

I compared Bluesound first alone with it's own DAC,and via Pioneer's DAC and via McIntosh MDA1000.

I also compared a CD in my MCD1000 through the MDA1000 and through the Pioneer's SABRE.

To make it very short, there are no differences , and if any, not heard by my (old) ears.

I know some of us think that comparisons using in the same time/song the remote control are not the best way to proceed; I also listened some hours to the different combos but I could not say if it was "more comfortable or less harsh or if I was less fatigued" etc...).

I'm exploring further now but I doubt I'll find night and day differences in the weeks to come.

That's why I'm wondering about the benefits I could get with Auralic, Lumin etc.

Did someone the same type of tests?

Or can someone explain?
Jean-Marc, the Bluesound Node2i is a great little unit - just got one to stream into a Feliks Audio Euforia headphone amp, and while I'm still letting the tubes on the amp settle in, the Bluesound uint is a welcome addition to the home's audio setup. Time will tell if I get a DAC or just use the Node2i's DAC for listening to the 'phones. Having that flexibility is nice.
Sources: Vinyl: Clearaudio Innovation Wood turntable with 9" Universal tonearm, Da Vinci V2 cartridge, Stillpoints SS & Stillpoints clamp, McIntosh MVP 901, Apple Mac mini via Benchmark DAC 1, Aurender N100C via Schiit Yggdrasil
Control: McIntosh C1100, Mcintosh MX151
Power: Mcintosh MC2301s (front), McIntosh MC501 (center), Mcintosh MC402 (rear)
Speakers: Sonus Faber Amati Futura (front and back), SF Vox center
Power/connections: PS Audio Power Port receptacles, RGPC 400 pro (2) WireWorld interconnects and speaker cable
Old 12-19-2020, 04:11 AM

Thank you!

I can say that for the price, the Bluesound does perfectly the job and I don’t see why I would want to spend a bunch of money , I stay interested in a test of a Lumin/Aurender/Bartok in my home through my setup; that’s the only way to make a decision, like I did when I bought my Wilson Audio Alexia’s.
Old 12-19-2020, 09:10 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Thank you!

I can say that for the price, the Bluesound does perfectly the job and I don’t see why I would want to spend a bunch of money , I stay interested in a test of a Lumin/Aurender/Bartok in my home through my setup; that’s the only way to make a decision, like I did when I bought my Wilson Audio Alexia’s.

Bonjour Jean-Marc,

You should, in that price range, also include the Grimm MU1 in your tests.
It's the one I picked after extensive comparing.
You're welcome here to hear it!
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables
Old 12-19-2020, 09:38 AM

Thank you very much Bart, I visited their website and the MU1 seems very interesting, if I decided to test high price streamers I'll include it.

How did you make your choice, Bart?

Did you compare different streamers, which ones, at home or at the dealer?
Old 12-19-2020, 11:34 AM
Life is beautiful

Quote:
Thank you very much Bart, I visited their website and the MU1 seems very interesting, if I decided to test high price streamers I'll include it.

How did you make your choice, Bart?

Did you compare different streamers, which ones, at home or at the dealer?

I heard different Aurender and Lumin streamers at shows and dealers.
I wanted Roon, so Aurender was off the list.

Then I did extensive listening tests at my dealer.
Speakers and electronics there are very comparable to my set-up at home, and I have been listening to his system on quite a lot of occasions now.

You probably read my comparison between the Grimm and the Auralic G2.1.
The difference was really huge (after just one piano note my buddy and I knew already, but we did listen for hours ).
I was surprised because before the comparison, I had already more or less decided to buy the Auralic, which I had heard on earlier sessions, and experienced it as a great streamer.

The Grimm device has a clock that is loved in recording studios, does the upsampling (so that the DAC doesn't have to do this heavy task), and is also a Roon core.

In a magazine they tested this Roon core against the Roon Nucleus Plus, and the author found the Roon core of the MU1 sounded, much to his surprise, better than his Roon Nucleus Plus (maybe because of the high grade clock?).

I had a cheap streamer to dip my toes into the world of Qobuz and Tidal. It sounded good and I wasn't expecting too much from an expensive solution.
Boy, was I wrong!
Our TV hasn't seen much use since we bought the MU1...

Bonne chance Jean-Marc!

Edit: the Lumin U1 was also a candidate, but when you consider the price of a Lumin U1 + a good Roon server + a high quality clock, you easily exceed the retail price of the MU1.
Stereo: Hegel H590, Grimm Audio MU1, Mola Mola Tambaqui, Burmester 948 - V3 & V6 racks, Vivid Audio G2 Giyas, REL Carbon Special (pair), Silent Angel Bonn N8 Ethernet Switch & Forester F1, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse IC and SE SC, Furutech Digiflux
AV: Hegel C-53, Marantz AV8802A, Oppo BDP-203EU, Pioneer Kuro 60", Vivid Audio C1 & V1w's, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse, SE & E
Second system (veranda): Halgorythme preamp and monoblocks, Burmester 061, Avalon Avatar, Sharkwire & Wireworld cables

Last edited by bart; 12-19-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:47 PM

Thank you very much, Bart, very interesting for me.

I'm going to read again and with more attention your MU1/Auralic comparison.