AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Shindo Laboratory

Shindo Laboratory Sound Create Producer

Old 06-01-2013, 09:30 AM

Just my 2 cents.
I have used Shindo cables. I have used A23 cables. I have used Kimber cables.
I have used Blue Jeans Cables. All with great sucess on my Shindo gear.
The whole debate seems a bit ridiculous. JH was simply maing the point to just use care when installing IC's.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:17 PM

Many of the more expensive IC's come with connectors that are unnecessarily tight and that has led to damage to a number of non-Shindo components I've owned (Particularly if they've been disconnected and reconnected a number of times). In fairness, there are plenty of cables to choose from other than A23 and Shindo that would not lead to such damage.

More controversial in my opinion is Shindo's use of cables that feature balanced connectors on one end and RCA on the other. These appear on all pre-amps above the Masetto and don't seem to offer any sonic benefit as they could not be truly balanced in this configuration. The design certainly encourages the use of Shindo cables or forces a custom alternative...
Old 06-01-2013, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev313

By the way, unless my memory is faulty, this top secret information regarding the delicate nature of the Switchcraft components has been discussed by First Order Master Shindo Mason Art Dudley in the sect newsletter, Stereophile.
I read again all the Dudley writings about Shindo and A23. Nowhere there is a mention of the fragility of the Switchcraft connectors and / or the need to use only Switchcraft male plugs.

Only references are in the VR review :
"The rear panel contains several pairs of Switchcraft low-mass RCA input jacks—Shindo's favorite—and a pair of XLR output jacks"
And for the A23 T1 review :
"and the input and output connectors are the same type of Switchcraft RCA jacks used by Shindo Laboratory"
Old 06-02-2013, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W View Post

I read again all the Dudley writings about Shindo and A23. Nowhere there is a mention of the fragility of the Switchcraft connectors and / or the need to use only Switchcraft male plugs.

Only references are in the VR review :
"The rear panel contains several pairs of Switchcraft low-mass RCA input jacks—Shindo's favorite—and a pair of XLR output jacks"
And for the A23 T1 review :
"and the input and output connectors are the same type of Switchcraft RCA jacks used by Shindo Laboratory"
Are you a subscriber, or did you read it online? He had comments in this month's issue (which, sadly, I've already thrown away) and I believe it was mentioned.

If I'm incorrect in my memory, though, there is probably a conspiracy. Nefarious bastards!
Old 06-02-2013, 12:24 AM

Quote:

This isn't new information. I've been advised of this by both Matt and Jonathan since 2006. Based on my experience my assumption was and is that if you purchase from an authorized dealer you will be fully supported with this info. As with most brands, grey market and secondary market purchasers have less protection. But, hey, these guys are in luck too as I happen to know that in the USA Shindo reps have been very patient and helpful to these buyers by providing their time and helpful advice.

If you bought from an authorized dealer and did not receive this information, I would take it up with a brand representative.

As to the people who are afraid to enter the "debate," what is up to debate? I can guess why they are afraid? No I cannot. That is very odd. Do they think this is the da Vinci Code and will be struck down by Shindo agents? Are they unusually meek? Is their conspiracy construct so central to their lives that they fear it will collapse after being provided with actual information? Do they work for Nordost? Did they invest in a Siltech tattoo in their misspent youth? Do they fear being called out for making grey market purchases?

Ironically your constant reference to a Shindo Sect may be most responsible for creating a perception that it exists. even me pointing that out goes one step further to legitimizing the claim. AND I STILL DON'T KNOW HOW TO JOIN OR WHAT THEY DO!!!

Jerome, Where did you get your gear and who failed to provide you with the info? Keith? I doubt that! Bring the issue up with that person. Your dealer should have discussed it with you. Why take it against Shindo generally?

I do not take anything against Shindo generally. I initiated a lot of curiosity and desire to discover Shindo because I have had both Shindo and other very popular brands here like Mc and ARC AT THE SAME TIME AT HOME in direct A/ B comparisons and because I am using Shindo in a " non authorized " way with Wilson speakers ( As your friend Art Dudley does BTW...) I expressed my feelings and thoughts with honesty and without any diplomatic considerations for all my friends having the same or equivalent gear that I had.
Still, I keep my freedom to say that the way Shindo himself organized the distribution of his products (including the illegal importation in Europe by an official importer in Greece) and the way the importers and dealers share and keep informations between them and customers, all this contribute to the feeling of a clan if not a sect.

Since I don't belong to this spirit, I have my freedom of speech, which many owners deny to themselves, and I can understand why it seems to drive you nuts.
You do not have to do anything to join the clan : you're in the middle of it.

I know that Shindo is very stingy with words when it comes to give information to owners in the "Owner page " ( hard to call that a notice or a manual ) that comes with his gear but my point is just that if those connectors are specific and should be used only with SWC plugs, then it should be written in that page.

If your dealer and Jonathan took the time to give you this information, then it's all good for you.
Not all dealers say it. Period. Maybe because not all them believe it ?
Of course, Keith told me when I bought the Hommage T2. That was the first time I heard that.
But once again, this is not WRITTEN information.
You know what we say in France and in many other places in the world ? "Said and not written ? It means nothing".
If this information is true, it is an important information so it should be written. Period.

Once again, imagine the same situation with a regular ( I mean not a clan full of devotees-customers ) company selling goods and not mentioning by writing in the user manual that only one brand of connectors should be used with their gear. Let's say McIntosh or Denon or ARC or any company you want. And ask the owners how they would feel about that ? Very few would say " oh no worries. I'm ok since my dealer told me".

Not anyone has a dealer ( I have one and it is not grey market, and no I won't tell you who he is.....although you may consider than in Europe, all dealers are grey market ! ). You can also buy a product used my Apetite was bought here from Des.
Now imagine the scene ( I could make and should make a movie out of that ! ) :
" Brother, now that you are a member of our clan, I have some important things to tell you about this gear. They are so secret and so strange that no one had the courage to put them down on paper and no one will do it. This is the "oral tradition" and it is more important than the written one.... And so on and so on...."

All this is getting too funny so I have to stop here.

Last edited by Jerome W; 06-02-2013 at 01:01 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:27 AM

Quote:

Are you a subscriber, or did you read it online? He had comments in this month's issue (which, sadly, I've already thrown away) and I believe it was mentioned.

If I'm incorrect in my memory, though, there is probably a conspiracy. Nefarious bastards!
This month's issue ? What I was saying : new information if you speak truth.
He wrote since 2007 in Stereophile and never said a word about that.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome W

This month's issue ? What I was saying : new information if you speak truth.
He wrote since 2007 in Stereophile and never said a word about that.
I mean he wrote about Shindo since 2007....
Old 06-02-2013, 12:54 AM

Alberto, serge and mr Dudley got me interested in shindo gear.

Why are you so secretive about this dealer of yours? Is he hiding with the shindo sect?
Old 06-02-2013, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucumber_Jones
Alberto, serge and mr Dudley got me interested in shindo gear.

Why are you so secretive about this dealer of yours? Is he hiding with the shindo sect?
You're off topic buddy !
Old 06-02-2013, 01:10 AM

This thread derailed a long time ago.

So who is your shindo dealer? I thought there were no more dealers in France, or Europe for that matter.