AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > The Lounge > General Off Topic

General Off Topic Almost anything goes!

Old 04-13-2021, 10:36 PM
Retired

Just wrapping up Gary Krist's "Empire of Sin", a history of New Orleans from the 1880s thru the 1920s. Gives pretty good coverage on the origins of jazz & blues in NO with the major players of the time (Buddy Bolden, Kid Ory, Sidney Baquet, George Bachet, Joe Oliver, Freddie Keppard, Louie Armstrong & Jelly Roll Morton, to name a few). Sad that most of them did not make it into the more modern era of recording.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-14-2021, 04:14 PM

The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer - written by Siddhartha Mukherjee, an American physician and oncologist. It won the 2011 Pulitzer Prize for General Non-Fiction.

Really well written and informative. Most striking is medical science' resistance to change - esp. the establishment of the link between smoking and cancer in the 1950's/60's
Main - Roon on Synology/Sonos Port/SoTM Neo endpoints; Chord Qutest, Bryston BP-17 cubed with phono option; EAT C-sharp with Ortofon Bronze MM, Bryston cubed Amplifier; Revel F126Be on custom Atocha stands; interconnects by WireWorld, furniture by Atocha Design 'Phones Audeze LCD-3, Bryston BHA-1; Office: Sonos/Roon; OPPO HA-1, Naim NAP100 and PSB Mini-C. Media Room:, Samsung QLED QN90 series, Sonos, OPPO 205, ATI N-core driving KEF LS-50's with REL subs; furniture by Glassisimo; Kids - U-turn for vinyl, Sonos Play5; Summer Shack - Sonos, vintage Pioneer, Dynaudio Special 40's.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:09 PM

Default What are you Reading or Read?

Captive Paradise: A History of Hawaii
by James L. Haley

Very interesting and well-written history from the first visit by Cook in 1798 to the overthrow of the Hawaiian kingdom by the US marines in 1893, and annexation by the US in 1898.
IMG_0770.JPG
D'Agostino Momentum S250 MxV & HD pre; Linn Klimax Organik DSM, SonicTransporter, EtherRegen; Acoustic Signature Typhoon Neo, Koetsu RSP, Boulder 1108; Sf Il Cremonese; Shunyata Everest, Altaira, Sigma & Alpha v2

Last edited by Antonmb; 04-14-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-14-2021, 06:48 PM
Racing Hoopties

The God Equation : Michio Kaku

I have been trying to understand the work on a unifying theory of the universe for 10 years. My goal is to be able to discuss a summary with my wife. I am still stuck at Einstein and can’t come close to understanding String Theory. I am hoping this book will help me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image1618440386.585283.jpg (80.2 KB, 18 views)
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-14-2021, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still-One View Post
Ken Follett's - The Evening and the Morning

A prequel to Pillar of the Earth. The fourth in the KingsBridge series.
I finished Atlas Shrugged and started The Morning and the Evening. True to Follett's form, it is an very good read.
Old 04-14-2021, 09:28 PM

Old 04-14-2021, 11:18 PM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
The God Equation : Michio Kaku

I have been trying to understand the work on a unifying theory of the universe for 10 years. My goal is to be able to discuss a summary with my wife. I am still stuck at Einstein and can’t come close to understanding String Theory. I am hoping this book will help me.
Craig - Is your wife a physicist or mathematician? Is she giving you a test on this? You'll want to add in recent work on the B meson, as well. Those folks in high energy physics sure have some great toys to play with.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 04-14-2021, 11:36 PM
Racing Hoopties

Ha, No she is not but she’s smart. If I can’t explain it to her, I don’t it understand enough.

Let me get general relativity and string theory in my brain before introducing more.
Main Equipment: Kharma Elegance dB11-S, JL Audio F113v2 X 2, Block Audio Line & Mono SE Amplification, Bricasti M21 DAC, Antipodes Kala K-50 Server, Clearaudio Performance SE. Satisfy tonearm & Maestro wood MM cartridge.
Power: Shunyata Everest 8000, Sigma XC v2, Sigma NR v2, Block Audio PCs, Defender, ADDPowr Wizard
Grounding: Shunyata Altaira CGS - 4 X Alpha CGS cables,
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 04-15-2021, 12:08 AM
George

Most Recently “21 Lessons for the 21st Century”, by Yuval Noah Perkins... outstanding. I was a Senior Director of IT in several global companies... he understands the current technology and computing trends and paints very realistic pictures of the fundamental challenges they will pose to civilization in this century.

Before that I recently finished rereading “Atlas Shrugged” and “(Karl)Marx in 90 minutes”. Put these two together and you got something.
Main: Aurender W20SE music streamer, ARC REF 9SE DAC / CD, Linn LP 12, Koetsu Rosewood SignCartrige, ARC REF 3 Phono Stage, ARC REF 6SE Preamp, ARC 160s amp, Sonus Faber Amati Traditional Speakers,Transparent Ultra IC & SC Library:Aurender N100, Ayre QB9 2020 DAC, Woo WA5-LE amp upgraded tubes, Focal Utopia HP, Sennheiser 800s HP, LCD HP.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:17 PM

I've just dived into this. It's already a fascinating read.

Bedroom: Aurender N150, TEAC UD-505 (AKM version), EMIA Cu Elmaformer passive line stage, conrad-johnson MF2500, Paradigm Studio 20 v5. Shunyata Delta D6, Altaira CG hub. Shunyata Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, Alpha USB, Alpha and Venom CGC/SGC. Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect & speaker cables. Stillpoints footers, Butcher Block Acoustics maple platforms. Stillpoints and GIK acoustic panels.

Home Office:Windows 11 PC/JRiver 31, TEAC UD-501, Luminous Audio Technology Axiom II Walker Mod passive, conrad-johnson Sonographe SA-250, Paradigm SE-1. Shunyata Hydra (Original Version), Venom 10 NR. Wireworld Eclipse 7 interconnects. Blue Jeans speaker cable.

Living-Dining Room: Windows 11 Laptop/JRiver 29, Oppo BD-83, TEAC UD-501 DAC, SOTA Sapphire TT, Graham Slee Era Gold V, Ortofon 2M Black, McIntosh MR-77, c-j Sonographe SC-25, c-j MF2500, Paradigm SE-3. Wireworld 8 IC, Blue Jeans SC. Shunyata Hydra 8 v.2, Shunyata Delta NR, Venom NR. GIK 244 bass & scatter-plate panels.