AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > CD Players, Digital Music & Servers

CD Players, Digital Music & Servers Aurender, dCs, Esoteric, Lumin.

Old 08-10-2023, 12:34 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly YB-2 View Post
Stephen - thank you for posting your 'block diagram' and details.
Might you have any leads on purchasing an etherREGEN? Nothing available on their website.
Is there a viable alternative that you are aware of?

Lumin looks nice, but I "don't do Chinese", so will go with Bryston or Aurender (if I'm feeling rich).
There's a new replacement for EtherREGEN under development, but I don't know when it will become available. I don't know if you require an SFP port on the switch, but some other good ones are available from Nordost, English Electric, SOtM, etc.

If I had the budget, the one I'd be looking at would be the switch from Melco, the S10. This has two SFP cages if you decide to use a run of optical.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 08-11-2023, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

Hey Glenn,

Congrats on getting the NUC up and running.

For Question 1:
I'm using Shunyata Sigma Cat 6 Ethernet cable between Alita (my nickname for my my Akasa-cased NUC) connected to EtherREGEN's A-side. The dirty Pace Router connects to ER via another Sigma Ether on ER's B-side, so John's "moat" keeps all the frickin' crap from the dirty el-cheapo Pace router away from A-side where the optical fiber exits out and runs into the main audio rack in the living room area to the P-1, as shown:

Question 2: I'm running Corning 9/125 singlemode fiber from a Planet Tech MGB-TL40 1310 nM SFP optical transceiver from ER's SFP cage on A-side into the living room area and into the back of my Lumin P-1, using the same specification Planet Tech MGB-TL40 optical transceiver in the P-1's SFP cage.

As shown here: Shunyata Sigma Ethernet cable coming in at the right from Alita; going out via optial via the SFP port on the left side.

ER A-side:

out to the P-1 here via single-mode optical fiber:

This is what is really nice about the Lumin P-1: I don't need any other "gear" between EtherREGEN and the P-1...just a run of optical straight from ER straight into back the P-1. This was a principle reason I bought it, because it's the simplest and most effective way to connect the music server to the amp. One optical cable to the P1, one pair of ICs from the P-1 to the Constellation. Job done!

In my experience, the simplest way one can mediate a transfer function (and, everything is a transfer function)...the better.

Nelson would agree.

The fact the P-1 sounds f**king amazing doesn't hurt, either.

Cheers!

Hi Stephen,

Am I seeing this correctly: did you do a “flip” with your ER? I have been thinking about doing the same thing. It would certainly have more flexibility. Do you think you sacrifice any sound quality for the flexibility?

Thanks,

Robert
Old 08-11-2023, 11:50 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfine View Post
Hi Stephen,

Am I seeing this correctly: did you do a “flip” with your ER? I have been thinking about doing the same thing. It would certainly have more flexibility. Do you think you sacrifice any sound quality for the flexibility?

Thanks,

Robert
Hi Robert,
Not sure what you mean by a "flip" but if you're referring to putting the Pace router on ER's B-side and Alita the music server computer on A-side, yes, that's what I did. While the "guidance" from UpTone was is to put the "downstream" audo device on B-side, and the "sources" on A-side, John's "moat" functions equally effectively in either direction.

The rationale for this was simple and pragmatic: the most important thing was just getting a run of optical out from ER over to the Lumin P1 in the other room. The reason I ended up with the configuration I did was strictly empirically-based: I tried connecting Alita and the Pace router to each side of ER, and it just sounded best when I put the grungy and dirty Pace router on B-side and Alita on A-side.

So...I just went with what sounded best.

The other thing that made for big improvement was going with Corning ClearCurve single-mode 1310 nM LC/LC fiber, based on Peter Lie of Lumin's recommendation (Peter is the firmware engineer for Lumin and he is f**kin' awesome...REALLY knows his subject-matter domain ) and the Planet Tech MGB-TL40 LC/LC FMC optical transceivers. Yes....optical transceivers sound different, too. This is "high-end audio", so no surprise there.

The worst I've heard are the TP-link, the best-sounding FMCs are the Finisar multimode and the Planet Tech single-mode.
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 08-12-2023 at 12:00 AM.
Old 08-12-2023, 07:39 AM
Retired

Received a message from UpTone Audio (etherREGEN distributor) that the etherREGEN2 has been delayed (parts shortage) and they will be building another 250 of the original sometime this fall.

Another noise isolation converter is the GIGAFOIL v4. Same principle, but only one in/out and a more industrial looking case. As I have plenty of space behind my rack I'll install some sort of small shelf to handle all this extra digital gear. Analog is so much simpler.

BTW - I ordered a Hifi Rose RS150B to serve as my streamer/DAC/server. Is close to a "one-box" solution (will use my Oppo 103 as the CD transport) for digital. Will have middle of next month.
Canton Reference 9 Clearaudio SM Pro Focal Bathys JLA 10" Dominion Kuzma Stabi S w/MC & MM Magnepan 1,7i McIntosh MA8950 & MR88 Oppo 203 Roon Nucleus Rose Hifi RS150B Shunyata Gemini-4 Sony ST-A6B, TA-F6B, ST-J75 & PS-X75 Sorane SA1.2 & TA-1L Stillpoints LP1v2 WW Pt, Au & Ag
Old 08-12-2023, 01:24 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Received a message from UpTone Audio (etherREGEN distributor) that the etherREGEN2 has been delayed (parts shortage) and they will be building another 250 of the original sometime this fall.

Another noise isolation converter is the GIGAFOIL v4. Same principle, but only one in/out and a more industrial looking case. As I have plenty of space behind my rack I'll install some sort of small shelf to handle all this extra digital gear.
Another option for folks' consideration instead of GIGAFOIL is to is to get an OpticalModule Deluxe from Sonore for $499. One could use a generic FMC powered by a Jameco Reliapro wall-wart LPS at the upstream end, and the OpticalModule Deluxe at the downstream end.

Quote:
Analog is so much simpler.
Agreed.

Quote:
BTW - I ordered a Hifi Rose RS150B to serve as my streamer/DAC/server. Is close to a "one-box" solution (will use my Oppo 103 as the CD transport) for digital. Will have middle of next month.
Only heard and read great things about the HiFi Rose RS150B. Look forward to your impressioins once you get it in.

Another option for folks looking for a lower-price alternative is the new Eversolo DMP-A6 for ~$899 or so. The reviews I've seen of it has been very positive from everyone.

Review by Darko:
https://youtu.be/p-sP5qgXfdM