AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Audio Research

Audio Research State of the Art Audio Reproduction

Old 03-17-2020, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captjoe View Post
Could not afford the Ref6 SE so I made the jump to the Ref 6 new in the box and will look at the upgrade path in the future.Of course i'm coming from the LS 26 so it will be a huge leap.

Enjoy!!
Old 03-25-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcxxx View Post
Well I took the plunge. The 6SE will be delivered tomorrow. Trading in the LS28 and moving the 5SE into my second system. I am thinking (hoping) the 6SE/160S combo will be an improvement over the 5SE/160S pairing w/ the DAWs.

Any initial impressions?
Old 10-19-2020, 07:31 PM

Strange that there are not any updates on this, since it is the latest greatest? Makes me think my my ref6 is a good stopping point for now. Not saying forever... but normally if someone hears a previously unheard ant burp it elicits a post.
Any new updated comparisons to the ref6 available?
Old 10-19-2020, 09:07 PM

The latest issue of Stereophile has a review of the REF 6SE. Unfortunately it doesn't appear to be posted online just yet.
Old 10-20-2020, 01:23 PM

I read the Stereophile review of the ARC 6SE. It is generally very positive although there is not a lot of comparison directly with the ARC 6. Some of the review was a bit hard to interpret as the sound quality seemed to be greatly influenced by which footer or rack was used.

Here's my take on the new 6SE:
I got both my upgraded 6SE and Phono 3SE back from ARC recently. A pleasant surprise was that the upgrades included a thicker 0.236 inch poly top cover which they say is much less prone to warping. It has a nicely finished beveled edge and sits slightly higher than the side panels.

It's a bit early to fully assess the changes in sound quality but what I hear so far, I like. In particular, the 6SE's bottom end seems to have more punch and "drive" for lack of a better term. Vocals seem also more fleshed out, the soundstage is about the same width but "denser." I found the ARC 6 a bit more laid back. It's somewhat harder to distinguish what improvements I hear with the 3SE phono stage as I cannot separate it from changes heard with the 6SE. Overall, IMO, the upgrade investment was worthwhile.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem321 View Post
I read the Stereophile review of the ARC 6SE. It is generally very positive although there is not a lot of comparison directly with the ARC 6. Some of the review was a bit hard to interpret as the sound quality seemed to be greatly influenced by which footer or rack was used.

Here's my take on the new 6SE:
I got both my upgraded 6SE and Phono 3SE back from ARC recently. A pleasant surprise was that the upgrades included a thicker 0.236 inch poly top cover which they say is much less prone to warping. It has a nicely finished beveled edge and sits slightly higher than the side panels.

It's a bit early to fully assess the changes in sound quality but what I hear so far, I like. In particular, the 6SE's bottom end seems to have more punch and "drive" for lack of a better term. Vocals seem also more fleshed out, the soundstage is about the same width but "denser." I found the ARC 6 a bit more laid back. It's somewhat harder to distinguish what improvements I hear with the 3SE phono stage as I cannot separate it from changes heard with the 6SE. Overall, IMO, the upgrade investment was worthwhile.
The Ref6SE will get better and better as you put some hours on it.

That review was awful. I have a lot to say about it, but I'll try to be brief.

It sounds "hurried", and JVS was all over the map talking about footers and racks and power cords. He also tried to turn it into some kind of lesson in psychology, talking about what makes us happy. By the end of the article, I wasn't sure if he liked it or not, so I guess that means "not".

Definitely not my idea of a well thought out and reasoned review.
Old 10-20-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastdriving View Post
The Ref6SE will get better and better as you put some hours on it.

That review was awful. I have a lot to say about it, but I'll try to be brief.

It sounds "hurried", and JVS was all over the map talking about footers and racks and power cords. He also tried to turn it into some kind of lesson in psychology, talking about what makes us happy. By the end of the article, I wasn't sure if he liked it or not, so I guess that means "not".

Definitely not my idea of a well thought out and reasoned review.
Agree with your thoughts on the review. It was not well focused on the Ref 6SE or much thoughts on how it was different from the Ref 6 except for the obvious physical changes.

Horrible review for anyone wanting to make a decision.

Ed
PreAmp: Audio Research Ref 6
Amp: ML 536 (2), Rotel 1552 (3), Rotel 1585
Speakers: Focal Maestro EVO, Focal 1000 Utopia Center, Focal 1000 IW6 side/rear surrounds, Focal 1000 IW6 X4 Ceiling, Rel G2 X 2 subs, Martin Logan 1500 X 2 subs, B&W 805D2 in master bedroom
Video: JVC NZ8 Projector
Power: Shunyata Everest, Sigma XC (1), Sigma NR (1), Sigma Analog (2), Alpha HC (2), Alpha Digital (2), Alpha Analog (1), Viper(1), Venom Digital(1)
Cables: Shunyata Anaconda SC, Anaconda IC (2), Shunyata Sigma USB, Shunyata Sigma XLR X 2, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, Shunyata Clock Alpha X 2, Sigma x 1
Old 10-23-2020, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward3132 View Post
Agree with your thoughts on the review. It was not well focused on the Ref 6SE or much thoughts on how it was different from the Ref 6 except for the obvious physical changes.

Horrible review for anyone wanting to make a decision.

Ed
TERRIBLE REVIEW!!! So annoying. I was looking forward to a more "down-to-earth" review.

It seems that he did not like REF6SE, but it also seems he can"t decipher the sound without untangling the mess of tweaks he installed (my apologies to the tweakers,but a reviewer shouldn't become a mad scientist to contour the sound of review gear . It's unfair to the reader,imo).

How does a potential consumer evaluate a component when the stock power cord is changed, plugged into a conditioner with another power cord, sits on a upgraded rack and footers???. (at least he didn't roll the tubes...i hope.)

Sorry, but to me, that's like buying a Honda Civic and doing the "tuner thing" to it. Is is really a Civic anymore?

If you throw peanuts, whipped cream,syrup and 6 other toppings on a scoop of ice cream can you honestly tell me if the ice cream itself is special?

Is it brand X or Carvel?

Sorry, just my 3 cents
Old 10-23-2020, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael paul View Post
TERRIBLE REVIEW!!! So annoying. I was looking forward to a more "down-to-earth" review.

It seems that he did not like REF6SE, but it also seems he can"t decipher the sound without untangling the mess of tweaks he installed (my apologies to the tweakers,but a reviewer shouldn't become a mad scientist to contour the sound of review gear . It's unfair to the reader,imo).

How does a potential consumer evaluate a component when the stock power cord is changed, plugged into a conditioner with another power cord, sits on a upgraded rack and footers???. (at least he didn't roll the tubes...i hope.)

Sorry, but to me, that's like buying a Honda Civic and doing the "tuner thing" to it. Is is really a Civic anymore?

If you throw peanuts, whipped cream,syrup and 6 other toppings on a scoop of ice cream can you honestly tell me if the ice cream itself is special?

Is it brand X or Carvel?

Sorry, just my 3 cents
Yup...100% agree. Not only that but he spent more time TALKING about that stuff than the actual preamp. And "what makes us happy". Combine that with the fact that he says at one point how glorious it was, then the next day it was terrible? I'm not buying that. I've never experienced that dramatic of a change in a component where it "stayed like that".
Old 10-23-2020, 08:42 PM

He did not review the Ref6SE. Unclear what his mind was focused on, but the 6SE was strictly off to the side. In another era the editor would not have accepted the article for publication.
Wilson Alexia V; ARC Ref 6SE; ARC Ref Phono 3SE; Boulder 1160; Esoteric K1X; Artisan Fidelity Garrard 301 Statement; Ikeda 407; Koetsu Leopard, Coralstone; Shunyata Denali 6000T; Shunyata AC cables; Siltech Prince speaker cables; Siltech Princess interconnects, Avondale II phono.