AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Schiit

Schiit Designed For The Real World

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:12 PM
JWH JWH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
Default New Yggy or Primaluna DAC?

Looking for opinions a new Yggy or the new Primaluna Evo 100. Beyond the obvious R-2R vs DS chip difference, has anyone had a chance to hear both or do a side by side. Considering selling my McIntosh D100 dac and looking for options. Iíve loved my Mac but itís time for a change. My domestic budget manager isnít convinced you can improve much on the D100 ... she loves all things Mac
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:18 PM
PHC1's Avatar
PHC1 PHC1 is offline
Stream-O-Phile


 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Pa
Posts: 23,370
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Looking for opinions a new Yggy or the new Primaluna Evo 100. Beyond the obvious R-2R vs DS chip difference, has anyone had a chance to hear both or do a side by side. Considering selling my McIntosh D100 dac and looking for options. I’ve loved my Mac but it’s time for a change. My domestic budget manager isn’t convinced you can improve much on the D100 ... she loves all things Mac
I would love to hear about the same comparison. I’ve perused the PrimaLuna tube DAC webpage. The only negative I can see is that the clock tube is soldered onto the PCB itself. Given the lifespan of even 5-7 years or less depending on the actual usage, what happens when the Russian sourced clock tube needs replacement? Send the whole unit back to PrimaLuna? I can easily take it apart and solder in a new tube but not everyone can or will want to do that. That remains an issue in my mind but I have nor reached out to PrimaLuna to ask that question.

I can speak to the YggY dac myself as can others, it is a very organic and natural sounding DAC but I have not heard the PL tube DAC.
__________________
Main System Luxman D-06U Luxman L-590AXII
Prima Luna Dialogue HP Harbeth 30.2 40th anniversary
HeadphonesWoo Audio WA6 Audeze Deckard Prima Luna Dialogue HP ZMF Auteur Blackwood
Sennheiser HD600
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:21 PM
kubla36's Avatar
kubla36 kubla36 is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
Looking for opinions a new Yggy or the new Primaluna Evo 100. Beyond the obvious R-2R vs DS chip difference, has anyone had a chance to hear both or do a side by side. Considering selling my McIntosh D100 dac and looking for options. Iíve loved my Mac but itís time for a change. My domestic budget manager isnít convinced you can improve much on the D100 ... she loves all things Mac


Had a D100 and went to a C2600 (couldnít pin improvement on DAC because I went to the tube preamp at the same time), then Gumby (improvement IMHO, but I like R2R), then Yggy A2.
__________________
(main) PS Audio P15; Innuos Zenith MK3; Denefrips Terminator Plus; C2600; MC452; XRT1K
(other room) [XLR under house]; MC275; Martin Logan Ethos
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Puma Cat's Avatar
Puma Cat Puma Cat is online now
conrad-johnson, baby!


 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 9,818
Default

Yggy, no question.

As Serge points out, its upgradeable, and sometime in the reasonably near future, Schiit may upgrade the USB receiver once again.
__________________
First Sound Presence Deluxe 4.0 MkIII-Si Paramount Special Edition preamp, Conrad-Johnson LP70S amp, Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion w/ EAR324, Oppo BD-83SE, Sonore OpticalModule with Uptone Audio LPS-1.2 power supply, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN, SOtM UltraNeo with Keces P3 power supply, Shunyata Omega & Sigma Ethernet, Alpha USB digital cables, Lampizator Baltic 3 DAC, Mac Mini/Roon, Harbeth 30.2 or Dynaudio Contour S3.4 w/ Esotar 2 tweeters, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Alpha NRv2, Alpha XC, Delta NR v2, and Venom V14D power cords, Shunyata Everest 8000
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:14 PM
JWH JWH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHC1 View Post
I would love to hear about the same comparison. I’ve perused the PrimaLuna tube DAC webpage. The only negative I can see is that the clock tube is soldered onto the PCB itself. Given the lifespan of even 5-7 years or less depending on the actual usage, what happens when the Russian sourced clock tube needs replacement? Send the whole unit back to PrimaLuna? I can easily take it apart and solder in a new tube but not everyone can or will want to do that. That remains an issue in my mind but I have nor reached out to PrimaLuna to ask that question.

I can speak to the YggY dac myself as can others, it is a very organic and natural sounding DAC but I have not heard the PL tube DAC.
I’ve had the same question. The UA folks told me it would be about a 10 year lifespan if you listen an hour or two a day on average. Replacement would be non-trivial.

On a side note, the clock tube is supposedly specifically designed for that purpose. Thanks Serge.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:17 PM
JWH JWH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubla36 View Post
Had a D100 and went to a C2600 (couldnít pin improvement on DAC because I went to the tube preamp at the same time), then Gumby (improvement IMHO, but I like R2R), then Yggy A2.
What did you think about improvement going from Gumby to Yggy? Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:20 PM
JWH JWH is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 77
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yggy, no question.

As Serge points out, its upgradeable, and sometime in the reasonably near future, Schiit may upgrade the USB receiver once again.
Totally agree ... upgradeabily is a huge plus for digital. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-01-2019, 10:33 PM
kaarmstrong's Avatar
kaarmstrong kaarmstrong is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Northwest USA
Posts: 205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post
Yggy, no question.

As Serge points out, its upgradeable, and sometime in the reasonably near future, Schiit may upgrade the USB receiver once again.
Have you heard the Primaluna DAC?
__________________
Speakers - Aerial Acoustic 20T V2 w/ JLAudio F212s (CR-1 xover)
Ayon Auris II, Ayon Epsilon Evo Monoblocks and Esoteric E-03 phono
Digital - Silenzio (NAS) and PS Audio DSD. Analog - VPI Prime Signature w/ Grado Reference 2
Cables - WW Gold IC/SC and WW Plat USB. Power: PS Audio P20 and Cardas Clear Beyond
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-02-2019, 12:34 AM
kubla36's Avatar
kubla36 kubla36 is offline
Senior Member

 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 106
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWH View Post
What did you think about improvement going from Gumby to Yggy? Thanks.


I thought it worthwhile (and wrote on a thread here in more detail). Took a long time to fully break in. Deeper stage, clearer, more refined. Gumby could be more forgiving.
__________________
(main) PS Audio P15; Innuos Zenith MK3; Denefrips Terminator Plus; C2600; MC452; XRT1K
(other room) [XLR under house]; MC275; Martin Logan Ethos
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-02-2019, 04:04 AM
bachrocks's Avatar
bachrocks bachrocks is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 445
Default

Great topic, JWH. I was wondering the same thing. Especially, I am curious about how these two dacs would sound with the Primaluna EVO 400 amp and preamp. I love the sound of tubes, but having a tube dac alongside a tube amp amd preamp might be too much of a good thing.

ron
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Audioaficionado.org tested by Norton Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:42 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©Copyright 2009-2021 AudioAficionado.org.Privately owned, All Rights Reserved.
Audio Aficionado Sponsors
AudioAficionado Subscriber
AudioAficionado Subscriber
Inspire By Dennis Had
Inspire By Dennis Had
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Harmonic Resolution Systems
Wyred4Sound
Wyred4Sound
Dragonfire Acoustics
Dragonfire Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
GIK Acoustics
Esoteric
Esoteric
AC Infinity
AC Infinity
JL Audio
JL Audio
Add Powr
Add Powr
Legend Audio & Video
Legend Audio & Video
Audio by E
Audio by E
Canton
Canton
Bryston
Bryston
WireWorld Cables
WireWorld Cables
Stillpoints
Stillpoints
Bricasti Design
Bricasti Design
Furutech
Furutech
Shunyata Research
Shunyata Research
Accuphase
Accuphase