AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Audio & Video > Subwoofers

Subwoofers 80hz and Down under!

Old 03-24-2019, 11:00 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATC2 View Post
I was thinking along those line and considering a T9i, but when I went to the REL website I noticed they recommend tha S5 SHO, so I’m wondering if I need something that big to properly integrate or can I get good results with a smaller one.
You can definitely obtain excellent results with a smaller one. That is why I recommended the T7i. I'm using a REL R-305 to very good effect.

They are amongst the simplest subs to integrate, you simply adjust the gain (volume) and crossover point to set up. The goal is not to have a lot of "discernible" bass, the goal is the balance and flesh out lower octaves so they seamlessly integrate with the entire response of the two speakers. A lot of folks use a track on the Sneakers soundtrack to do this, but you can use any track with clearly and cleanly articulated bass (e.g. the Cry Me a River track on Ray Brown's Solar Energy)
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crwilli View Post
I don’t know how a Sub that connects to the Amplifier integrates well by default. That means the mains are receiving a full range signal and the sub is overlapping to some extent. To me, that is not integration. How is that different from an amplified sub like the JL Audio which takes its signal directly from the preamplifier?

What am I missing?
Crwilli, as I research this I’m understanding that the JL and REL would connect in different ways. In the case of the JL without a crossover, would I connect to the 2nd main out (xlr) of my preamp which is a McIntosh c47 and to xlr in of the sub, do I have this correct?
Thanks... RC
Old 03-30-2019, 12:21 AM

ATC2

Since you are in Texas you might want to reach out to Brian Deng of Rythmik who is outside of Houston about their Servo subs. You can buy at least two of them for the cost of a REL or JL and they can be hooked up either line or speaker level and have adjustable EQ.
Old 03-30-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD View Post
ATC2

Since you are in Texas you might want to reach out to Brian Deng of Rythmik who is outside of Houston about their Servo subs. You can buy at least two of them for the cost of a REL or JL and they can be hooked up either line or speaker level and have adjustable EQ.
Okay thanks, I need to learn about servo subs, interesting...
Old 03-30-2019, 02:38 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Okay thanks, I need to learn about servo subs, interesting...
Or....you could keep things simple and just get the REL, and call it a day. They are simple to setup and integrate.

My advice, having been a Six Sigma Black Belt working on solviing much more complex problems for 10 years is: don't get caught get up in "analysis paralysis" when there are simple and effectivie solutions available. REL makes it easy to integrate a sub, this is one of the reasons they have been so successful with their products.

I did a statistical analysis approach called Design of Experiments to integrate my REL R-305, but that was an experiment, and as a scientist, that's what we do!

My analysis determined that Gain was the single factor that impacted bass response and integration the most, the XO point had some effect, but not as much as Gain. Look at linear graph in the third box from the left along the top; this is called a "leverage plot", the steeper the line, the more impact that particular factor has on the bass reponse.

The graphs below shows my actual, in-room response. The red or blue lines are what I started with, and the green line is what I ended up with after setting the sub to the settings (Gain, Crossover) that the DOE told to me to set. I showed these to setup guru Stirling Trayle at the SFAS event last week, and he said the results looked really good.

LEFT Speaker; before sub is red plot, Green plot is after integration with REL

RIGHT Speaker: before is blue, after is Green.

Life's too short, my advice is just get the REL and call it a day...
Lumin P1 streamer/DAC/preamp, Constellation Inspiration integrated TT: Michell Gyro SE MkII, SME V, Koetsu Urushi Vermilion, EAR324. Harbeth 30.2s, REL R-305, Shunyata Alpha V2 ICs, Alpha V2 SPs, Sigma XC, Sigma NRv2, Omega QR-s & Alpha NRv2 PCs, segmented Altaira SG stack w/ Alpha & Omega CGCs, Everest 8000 PD. Remote Server Room: Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark Master Clock & LPS, Alita, Battle Angel, (Akasa NUC Roon Core), iFi DC Purifiers (for SMPS used for Alita & router), Shunyata Gemini combo power distributor & Altaira-type CG GP-NR hub, Venom & Alpha CGCs, Shunyata NRv14 power cords for digital components.

Last edited by Puma Cat; 03-30-2019 at 02:41 PM.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:13 PM

Lol... holy cow Pumacat you kinda geeked out a little bit on that one.
Honestly good stuff, I can get a little analytical at times also.
Took advantage of their sale and placed an other for a REL.
I must admit that the thought of getting a JL in the future remains but it’s going to be REL for now. Thanks to everyone for your inputs.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Racing Hoopties

Quote:
Crwilli, as I research this I’m understanding that the JL and REL would connect in different ways. In the case of the JL without a crossover, would I connect to the 2nd main out (xlr) of my preamp which is a McIntosh c47 and to xlr in of the sub, do I have this correct?

Thanks... RC

Sorry for the delay. Yes. With a JL Audio Sub having its own Amplifier, you would connect a McPre, such as your C47, directly by running both a left and right channel output directly to the JL Sub.

As I learned this week, the sub will SUM both channels internally. If you had a crossover such as the JL Audio CR-1, it would take those left and right inputs and sum them for its sub output. And in that case you would only use one cable for not the left (mono) input of the JL Sub.
Network : Supra Cat 8+, Twin (Nenon) Modified Buffalo GS2016 Switches, Keces P3 LPSU,
Cables: Wireworld Platinum 8 USB, Wireworld Platinum Eclipse 8 Speaker cables, 6M & 1M Tubulus Concentus ICs,
Other: Multiple GIK products, Stillpoint Apertures, Stillpoint Minis and Ultra SS, Three 20 Amp lines, Furutech GTX - Gold outlets, Adona Rack
Old 03-31-2019, 03:45 PM
Cool, calm scientist

Quote:
Lol... holy cow Pumacat you kinda geeked out a little bit on that one.
Honestly good stuff, I can get a little analytical at times also.
Took advantage of their sale and placed an other for a REL.
I must admit that the thought of getting a JL in the future remains but it’s going to be REL for now. Thanks to everyone for your inputs.

I think you'll be very happy. Congrats.
Old 04-08-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma Cat View Post

I think you'll be very happy. Congrats.

PumaCat You were correct, thank you for the recommendation. I got the T9i since the room is somewhat large and I’m very pleased. Still tuning it in but I can tell already that will do the job well. I’m not able to PM anyone so I hope you get to see this post. Thanks again
Old 04-08-2019, 10:52 PM
Cool, calm scientist

ATC2,

Thanks great to hear! Let us know how it works once you get the sub integrated with your Harbeths. If you can, get a copy of the soundtrack of the movie, Sneakers. A lot of folks use that for integrating their REL sub.

I have to admit I'm a bit envious as I love Harbeths.

Enjoy!