AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > Manufacturers Forums > Krell

Krell Leader in Audio Engineering

Old 02-03-2015, 11:03 AM

It is indeed not always possible to compare different devices in your own set.
I had the FBP700cx-the evolution 400e and 402e amps.
I like the sound of the evolution amps over the FBP.
The evolution amps gives you more of everything.
But this is only my opinion!
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 AM

I had the 900s and now I have the MRAs. The later is an absolut Beast . More of everything compared to the 900s - they had absolut controll of my old Q5 and to my current Q3s. Not sure if its fair to compare the MRAs to FBP but I have heard that they are voiced similar. I use the Evo 202 with Cast and I really love the combination.

Tommy
Old 02-21-2015, 08:14 PM

I had several months EVO-600E, are the best of Krell FPB both lines are amp EVO and dream !! in Krell I have a long history! I had all his amp,
KSA-50S my first amp, then KSA-300S, after KAS-2, then KAS and now have a CX-700, this to me in stereos and quzas the best !! for a budget issue, not reach the EVO-600e, the difference with the FPB, is that the EVO, are Class AB entry and departure, FPB always in class A serious !, the FPB are more forceful !! but a little hard on means and not as silky treble, the EVO has a slightly more relaxed sound! and also more air around the instruments, both have outstanding stereo image !! but the EVO a little closer to the event live !, but I repeat serious terrifying the CX-700 FPB or MCX-750 arrive below, I have a friend that has to Wilson X-1 GS, and there also hear EVO-600E.
The issue of money to pay for them can also tip the balance! but I repeat, all the EVO or FPB line are tremendous, even better high models !!
Regards
Adrian
Old 02-21-2015, 08:31 PM

Even thought I like the looks of the FPB I would go with the newer EVO unit.
Old 12-06-2015, 03:05 PM

I use the FPB 750mcx and love them. They are a great match with the Krell Phantom.

A few things among those that improved their sound: SRA VR 3.0 custom platforms for the FPB750mcx pair, SRA Scuttle 3 rack for the Phantom (and turntable), three dedicated 220V 20amp lines (one for each 750mcx and on for the Phantom, high quality Siemens Sitor fuses in the power distribution system box for the apartment. Of course, interconneconnects, power cable (for the Phantom), speaker cables, fuses, etc all make a big difference too.

I never heard any EVO in my system, so I don't want to be unfair. I have been told by dealers that the only EVO that is a bit better than the FPB 750mcx is the EVO 900e, not even the EVO 900 is better. Again, I did not hear the 900e in my system either.

I have several priorities for upgrades in my system, but the Phantom/FPB750mcx are not in the upgrade list.

Cheers,

VPN
Old 12-13-2015, 02:47 PM

I would highly recommend the FPB. I owned at one time a pair of FPB 350Mcx amps and they were amazing. If you can find a decent deal I would highly recommend them. One thing to take into account thought is that the amps are probably getting up there in years so you will probably have to have them re-capped. I am guessing the re-cap job would run around $2000.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:39 PM

What about FPBcx against FPBc or FPB?

Just curious
Old 03-02-2016, 09:52 AM

Does nobody can help me? As owner of a stereo FPBcx I would like to know if there would be some improvement adding a couple of 2nd hand old original FPBs...

I Prefer the sweet class A sound and bass muscle of my FPBcx against Evo series
Old 06-02-2016, 10:57 AM

Andy Payor of Rockport's favorite Krell amp is the FPB series. He does not like the sound of the series after using the cast system. He feels that series is too bright. I have the FPB250 mono's on the Rockport Altair's and the sound is stunning.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:43 AM

I used the FPB 650M monoblocks for years. I really liked them, I have not heard the 402e in that same system but have heard it many times with the same brand speakers. Given a choice I would take the 402e. To me, a better sounding amp top to bottom. Good luck with any purchase you end up making.