AudioAficionado.org  

Go Back   AudioAficionado.org > AudioAficionado News > Technical Info & Troubleshooting

Technical Info & Troubleshooting Learn from the Pro's

Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 PM
Greetings from NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3brow View Post
I suppose you are running JRiver on a Mac since you mentioned A+. JRMC19 was an absolute breeze to install and set up on my Mac mini. Dumped 1.87 TB into database. Every album art displayed, JRemote controlling via iPad. It was intuitive to set up with little internet guidance and poking around, few clicks here and there. My only misstep was changing the skin which caused digital clicks when playing certain files (and even then I was given and ignored JRiver's warning that the skin was incapable with my system). Changed skin to something else, all is good. The JRemote/JRMC UI is top notch and really unbelievable for the nominal grand total of $60. I was using Pure Music previously. The iPad app sold me on JRiver. I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and try it out. They allow a free two week trial period.
Yes a Macbook Pro with Intel I7 processor 16GB DDR3 500 GB HD. Run Audirvana Plus through WW Silver Starlight USB to Esoteric K-03. I will keep up with this thread and give it a try soon.
Two Channel: McIntosh C2300 preamp, MC601 amps x2, MR88 tuner, MEN220; Esoteric K-03X; Aurender N100C 4TB; B&W 802D2 Diamonds, JL Audio F113V2 x 2 on Sound Anchor Sub Stands; VPI Classic Signature Piano Black, Ortofon Cadenza Black, VPI SDS, periphery ring, StillPoints center weight, Gingko Audio ClaraVu Dust Cover CT, KAB SpeedStrobe, Dr. Feickert Analogue Protractor; Sonos with W4S digital modification to W4S Remedy to Esoteric; W4S PS1 Linear Power unit for the 2x Remedy and Recovery w/ W4S PS1 Power Cord; Torus RM20; Wireworld Silver Series 7 Electra/Starlight/Eclipse cables and WW Platinum Power Cord for Amps and Platinum USB for Aurender; KLAUDIO RCM; Steve Blinn Designs extra wide three shelf rack; GIK Acoustics panels and bass traps, StillPoints Ultra Minis under all gear and Stillpoint Ultra SS under amps and speakers.
Home Theater 7.2: McIntosh MX150, MC452, MC207; B&W 803D2 Diamonds, HTM2 center, CWM7.3 surrounds; JLAudio F112 x2 subs; Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 65" Studio Master Plasma; Oppo 205; Crown FM Two Tuner; Sonos with W4S Remedy; Apple TV; Furman Elite 20 amp PFi x2; WW and AQ Cables/Cords; Salamander Synergy Four Bay Cabinet
Office 2ch with McIntosh vintage refurbished gear: McIntosh MC275V6 x2 tube amps; Klipsch Cornwall I vintage speakers (1982); AQ Dragonfly Red DAC/Jitterbug/cables; PS Audio Dectet Power Center; Mcintosh C28, MC2105, MR78 (with mod), MQ101, each with original walnut cabinet and panloc (1976), MCD7008 (1996), ML1C speakers (1976); Bang & Olufsen Beogram 4002 turntable (1976) with new SoundSmith SMMC20CL cartridge (2015); Salamander double rack
Old 03-02-2014, 02:30 AM

A couple of things I have found for my dedicated music server running JRiver. I would try the 3 different streaming methods kernel streaming, ASIO streaming and WASAPI streaming. I found kernel streaming sounds the best with my AMR777 DAC. I started with 8 gig and dropped down to 4 gig. I never used the extra memory as my server only plays music and has no other function. Another thing to test is playback from memory. I preferred not use playback from memory. It seemed like on delicate passages the music seemed more mechanical and lacked emotion when using memory playback. So I would test and decide for yourself.
I actually run Windows server 2012 with AudioPhil Optimizer on a home built server motherboard. It seems better than my old Windows 64 pro version.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:43 AM

Default Hot Keys and Use

OK I would suggest reading most all you can about JRiver Media Center and download the trial and play with it. An of course make sure you pay for and register this great application. The developers of apps like this put countless 10000s of hours to make it happen and they need to be compensated not only for the efforts and great product they developed, but to also allow them to make future improvements too

I feel this is the most bang for the dollar I have EVER!

I have offered some suggested settings to help in making your computer if is going to be a media type server more performance oriented for music use.

All this said, let me over one word of advice for everything if you adhere to making changes to the application and or your machine and hardware.

ONE CHANGE AT
a time ONLY. That is the only sure way to gauge the change to verify that the change=benefit.

OK onto the Hot Keys and features that help you drive this app with out using only a mouse.

A feature I like to use to get around and operate this application is the use of Hot Keys. You can even make your custom ones too. Just like on your computer. Hot Keys take you to a whole new level of loving an application and making you a PRO at navigation.

I took their documentation removed the hyper links and created a PDF attachment.

Keyboard Hot-keys

Media Center provides a number of keyboard shortcuts (hot-keys, accelerators) to facilitate operations. In addition to Media Center-specific shortcuts, standard Windows Alt key menu navigation/accelerator keys are available and readily discoverable by holding down the Alt key, and taking note of the underlined letter in the menus and sub-menus.

Several keyboard shortcuts depend on the context, and will be described multiple times in the tables below. For example, Enter may initiate playback of the selected items, or pause video. Page Up may move the selection to the top of the list of visible items, or reset image playback to the first item.

Most shortcuts are valid only when Media Center is the foreground application. Some, marked as (Global), function even when Media Center is running in the background.

Media Center also supports user-defined keyboard shortcuts.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf HOT Keys J River.pdf (33.2 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by djwhog; 03-02-2014 at 01:21 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:26 AM

Default Getting Started

I have attached a PDF on the Audio Output Modes use and settings configuration documents that go into the details. if you have a specific dac driver, setup of configuration setup question please post it and a member here on the board will address most likely the settings and configuration best practices and use of that specific hardware.The following post will have attachments for DAC, WASPI and other advanced use topics and settings help.

Getting Started

Overview

This topic is intended to give you an introduction to JRiver Media Center and how to use it.
If you're completely new to digital media, you may also find our Digital Media topic useful. It provides an introduction and suggest ways you can learn more.
Import

MC uses an internal database (library) to keep track of your files and to speed up access to them. It doesn't matter where the files are stored but MC needs to locate them and analyze them once in order to build the library. This can be automatic or manual. You can set which folders to watch or exclude and which file types to import. See Import.
Your machine will be busy during import, so things may seem a little slow. This will change when the import finishes.
Audio

Under Tools/Options/Audio, you can set the sound device you wish to use, the Audio Output Modes, and other options. Start with DirectSound, but once that's working well, consider switching to ASIO or WASAPI for better quality. For more details, please see Audio Playback Options.
If you use a USB DAC (Digital Analog Convertor), please visit the wiki topic on DAC Settings.
Video

MC uses Red October, JRiver's DirectShow management system to automatically download, install and configure the DirectShow filters you need. Under Tools/Options/Video, choose Red October Standard. Once you're sure that works well, you can try Red October HQ. ROHQ requires a fairly powerful PC.
Television

MC can record OTA (Over The Air) signals and clear channels from cable. Please read the Television topic here. You will need to install a TV tuner or connect to a Set Top Box (cable) and select it in MC. Then scan for channels and set up an EPG (Electronic Program Guide).
Views and Skins

MC will normally start in Standard View, which lets you use a "tree" to select and play files. Theater View is a "10 foot" mode, suitable for viewing from across the room and often used with a remote. A Mini View frees up desk space. Switch among these with ctrl-1 to ctrl-5 or by using the "View" menu, where you can also change the "skin" (appearance). More skins are available on the "Accessories" link below or on the Third Party board on Interact (JRiver's forum). Under Tools/Options/Startup, you can set MC to start in any view, and to start automatically when Windows boots.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audio Output Modes.pdf (23.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by djwhog; 03-02-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:36 AM

Default ASIO and WASPI

Most all of the AA users I have spoke with i think are using WASPI drivers for their machines as opposed to ASIO. I have WASPI attachment on this post.

WASAPI stands for Windows Audio Session API.

ASIO

ASIO is a method of directing unmodified sound data to a sound card. The sound card must have a driver capable of accepting ASIO output.
For Vista and above, you may also consider using WASAPI.
ASIO4ALL is a publicly available driver that accepts ASIO output and converts it to Kernel Streaming.
MC playback options must be set to use ASIO.
Here's a thread that may help.
If you experience stuttering problems with ASIO, try changing this setting (introduced in 14.0.48):
  • NEW: Added new ASIO option 'Use large hardware buffers (recommended to prevent stutter)' that uses the maximum hardware buffer size instead of the default buffer size, which should help alleviate any stuttering issues. (smaller buffers are only desirable in latency sensitive applications like synthesizers)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf WASAPI.pdf (18.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 10:58 AM

Default Audio Setup and advanced audio configuration guide

This topic is an overview with some advanced details on the setup of you machine's sound card device and the Audio Setup in the Media Center.

I have found that on the sound card on several machines I have worked with you need to disable by un-checking the add on features under the:
In Control Panel > Sound > Enhancements Tab.

Also if you have those type of machines with built in nice higher end computer type cards or a top line creative labs, turtle beach or other card with features such as dts, dolby, and wma etc. , I have found that disabling them in the computers start-up or in most cases under Services in Windows will be a best practice to eliminate shuttering, stutters, clipping etc.

The goal is to give the DAC to WASPI drive complete and total control of the hardware to driver.

The attached pdf will go into more detail about testing and setup for supported output modes of your card to test on your computer and there is also a pretty good overview of the media Center Audio Setup features such as speaker selection format, effects, leveling, EQ and other tweaks.

I think most of us so called purist use about none of these. I use 2 Ch Stereo only and no change on the Sample rates. Even though I have 2 sub woofers I let my MX150 control that via the K03 and do allow Media Center to get in the middle of that.

Don't over look clipping protection and Bitdepth settings.

A few other advanced things to look at:

Check the box - Open device for exclusive access.
Check the box - Disable event style (required by older hardware).

A tip from me and my experience on several builds.

Also on my laptop I opened the volume mixer and made the spdif the default not the speakers for the audio card, and then you right click on spdif go to its properties and I disabled dts, dolby, and wma pro audio, set volume to max per jriver docs selected all sample rates.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audio Setup.pdf (107.1 KB, 33 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:25 AM

Default Audio Connection Type

It is reccomended that you select 'Bitstreaming' as the connection type to use an external decoder when possible.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Audio Connection Type.pdf (19.9 KB, 26 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 AM

Default DAC Settings and DNLA

I will attach information and some help on this topics. This is getting into the dirt of the fine tuning now at last.

Sure is a lot to know and work with with any advanced tool and application such as Media Player
Old 03-02-2014, 12:39 PM

Default DLNA Introduction

Attached should be most of the details on how to get around the configuration settings and several issues when streaming via the network wired or wireless to other devices such as an Ipad for example.

Some of these settings also are required tweaks for the use of your remote apps if the media from you computer is going to be streamed out to other devices over the network.

A few of these settings may apply from remote apps in the media player for internal control, but in most cases you should not play DLNA to your audio gear through the DAC unless you prefer degraded sound.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DLNA.pdf (158.2 KB, 27 views)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:07 PM

Default DAC Settings

OK here is the more than basic detail for the DAC section. This is the detail on the how to of options, tools and adjustments to work with on your DAC settings. This is getting more into not only the connection, but proper fine tuning.

All this said, each machine like my K03 has it's own base settings and specifics to those settings that apply. This attachment helps you to navigate through the depths of DAC tuning.

I am sure as Dan, -E-, and many others have helped me, that others may offer help for your specific DAC driver, settings and adjustments for best in class sound.

All this stuff matters, but you can not get even in the same league of sound with a typical Belkin, Rosewell or other cheapo USB cable. Those are made for printing, etc. NOT streaming high-end audio.

You can rip your own data files to various formats and it is only as good as the source and to get the most out of the streaming you need to purchase high-end audio track hi-rez downloads. I only use the typical MP3 amazon auto-rip stuff in the garage or back ground in the truck for listening.

If for me a album is redbook or sacd only and I want it in Media Player I reip it to a flac file and import into the database. I am becoming more of a convert now that I think the audio players, DACS and media are getting to the level of audiophile grade. I have never been an itunes, MP3 run of the mill kinda person. I prefer the source to be as good as I can find, and now i think there is a player that can link the good source to the hardware IMOP.

I am sure that there is more to follow, but I would like to thank so many of you folks on the board for all the help. I am still a SACD/Redbook audio guy maybe 50% of the time. Vinyl 20% and up to 25% for streaming. The other 5% radio etc...

One final thought. If you are just getting started even after reading these piles of documents, I would suggest you do yourself a HUGE favor and upgrade to at least a Wire World Silver USB cable to connect your Computer to your DAC.

I got my from Ivan, that was by far the biggest step in achieving Audiophile quality streamed sound from my computer. Platimum is most likely in the future for me.

enjoy everyone
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DAC Settings.pdf (23.2 KB, 32 views)